Big or Little Problem? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Big or Little Problem?

My 03' K1200LT has sat on the center stand for about a week. I fired it up and it smoked like a pig for a couple minuets.

The valves are in desperate need of adjustment so I am hoping this could be the cause or is it more serious like oil getting past the rings and a top end job?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151130_184355635.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	94610   Click image for larger version

Name:	11071.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	865.2 KB
ID:	94618  

Kirk
'03 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Re: Big or Little Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw2939 View Post
My 03' K1200LT has sat on the center stand for about a week. I fired it up and it smoked like a pig for a couple minuets.

The valves are in desperate need of adjustment so I am hoping this could be the cause or is it more serious like oil getting past the rings and a top end job?

Thanks in advance!
The LT has a bad habit of smoking after it has been left on its side stand but not so much on the center stand but it can happen if it was shut down on the side and later put up on the center. Thing is, they smoke under several circumstances.

The valves needing adjustment would not cause it to burn oil or smoke on start up. If it is running normally otherwise and does not consume an inordinate amount of oil, I would not worry too much. Most use 1st gear and the side stand to stop the engine. If you place it immediately on the center stand, it shouldn't smoke too much on start up.

You didn't mention the mileage you have on it. The sump is below the cylinders so unless it is overfilled, it shouldn't smoke all that much. Did you fill it on the side or center stand? I believe it should be filled on the center stand and not the side stand and checked when warm according to the Clymer manual.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

It has 51k miles. I have had it for about 1.5 years, changed the oil twice and topped off the oil maybe once or twice. I typically shut it down in neutral while keeping it centered, then lean it over on the side stand, and pop it up on the center stand if it will be parked for more than a few minuets.

When filling it with oil or topping off it has always been on the center stand. The head light was burned out thus why it has been sitting for a week, no engine work done to it.

The oil level looks good and have not added oil since last oil change in July.

Kirk
'03 K1200LT

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw2939 View Post
It has 51k miles. I have had it for about 1.5 years, changed the oil twice and topped off the oil maybe once or twice. I typically shut it down in neutral while keeping it centered, then lean it over on the side stand, and pop it up on the center stand if it will be parked for more than a few minuets.

When filling it with oil or topping off it has always been on the center stand. The head light was burned out thus why it has been sitting for a week, no engine work done to it.

The oil level looks good and have not added oil since last oil change in July.
If it doesn't smoke all the time and it runs fine and it isn't using a lot of oil, then I wouldn't worry all too much. Are you running a thin oil? I would think that you would be running a 20W50 for your location. Don't have too many other ideas so maybe someone else will chime in and provide some other ideas or confirmations that you probably don't have any big issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 6:29 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
If it doesn't smoke all the time and it runs fine and it isn't using a lot of oil, then I wouldn't worry all too much. Are you running a thin oil? I would think that you would be running a 20W50 for your location. Don't have too many other ideas so maybe someone else will chime in and provide some other ideas or confirmations that you probably don't have any big issue.
Plus 1
My 2000 LT would smoke from time to time when I first got it & I always used the center stand. At 18K I switched to 20W50 full synthetic oil and it smoked a lot less. If yours only smokes from time to time & not every time you start it up I would not worry.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 8:44 am

Sounds like you have it overfilled on oil. You have nothing to worry about it won't hurt a thing. Adjusting valves will make no difference.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 10:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm View Post
Sounds like you have it overfilled on oil. You have nothing to worry about it won't hurt a thing. Adjusting valves will make no difference.
Really hard too overfill LT so it would cause excessive smoking.

Born to be wild so why not

post #8 of 10 Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 9:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

What I see in your photos are normal carbon/water drops out of the exhaust and normal soot from the cold start, open loop, full rich condition. All LTs exhibit this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 10 Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 7:26 am

They are famous for smoking on start up. I shut mine down and tip it to the right slightly for 20 seconds or so. I've parked it on the side stand after. And next day it may or may not smoke a bit, but if I set it on the centerstand it,will a little here and there too. Not all the time. It doesn't consume oil per say. I have to top her off between oil changes. But maybe a 1/8 a quart? If it doesn't puff while running or consume alot between changes dont sweat it.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 13th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Garage

I agree with all of the other replies. Mine will not smoke if ridden daily, but if parked on the side stand for a week or longer it will smoke like an old freight train for a mile or so, then it clears up.
If I think ahead, I stop, run the engine with the bike upright, shut it off, wait 20-30 seconds with it upright then set it on the side stand and put it on the center stand right away. No smoke on start up then. Other than embarrassment it hurts nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in