Viton O-Ring 19X4 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By K100Dennis
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 2:13 pm Thread Starter

Viton O-Ring 19X4

To all the technical dudes out there like Beach and jzeller and anyone else who has gone and boughgt Viton replacements.

I have been looking around for the infamous O-ring and have come across several sources so getting it is not my question. I have noticed that there are several different specs for this size Viton O-ring anywhere from a 70A, 75A to a 90A on the durometer.

For those that have not heard this term before, it is a scale of durability of the O-ring to withstand a depression or deformation due to pressure on its surface and return to the original shape without leaving a dent. The higher the number, the less likely it will maintain any deformation from pressure.

I have not seen anyone mention any durometer spec for this part so I am asking, what are you using or does it even matter in this application seeing the original just doesn't hold up and any of them would be better than the original BMW part.

I just bought a bag of 10 with a durometer rating of 75A and am hoping this will be adequate as a replacement. I can hand them out locally if needed as long as they will do the job.

I am interested in what others have used in their repairs.
Merical likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 4:41 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Viton O-Ring 19X4

I was pointed to this one by Hilton, so bought several.
Viton O-Ring 75 Durometer 4mm x 19mm V75 so that's what went into my and Axle's bikes. A whole US$2.36 per o-ring.... postage was probably 50x that... along with the other bits and pieces

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Just got my o-rings and they are smaller than I thought. Can someone confirm that these look correct? they are just slightly larger than a quarter. I thought it would be bigger from watching the videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0074.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	94602  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 6:54 pm

From the pic of the vernier and converting back to inches, yes it looks correct to me. 19mm ID plus 2 x 4 mm section = 27 mm and that converts to 1.063", about right. As for the Duro, we never specify it in my industry but never have O ring failures when upgrading to Viton, it just solves the problem of memory loss due to heat/compression.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis View Post
From the pic of the vernier and converting back to inches, yes it looks correct to me. 19mm ID plus 2 x 4 mm section = 27 mm and that converts to 1.063", about right. As for the Duro, we never specify it in my industry but never have O ring failures when upgrading to Viton, it just solves the problem of memory loss due to heat/compression.
Thanks Dennis. Looks like I am good to go on that aspect and so are the next 9 people I can hand one off to

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #6 of 9 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 8:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are good to go on a rating of 75. This o-ring slides over a splined shaft and gets the crap compressed out of it with a special washer to seal the shaft. Any of those would have done well in this application. The key is the Viton will not dry out and crack like the stock one.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 9 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
You are good to go on a rating of 75. This o-ring slides over a splined shaft and gets the crap compressed out of it with a special washer to seal the shaft. Any of those would have done well in this application. The key is the Viton will not dry out and crack like the stock one.
I remember reading about a "bounce test" for the viton O-ring but I can't find that thread. I toss one of these end-wise down on the table and it doesn't bounce at all. I would suspect rubber compound ones would bounce. I was surprised it didn't bounce at all. I am guessing that this would be the proper result if it is Viton.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 9 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 11:58 am

So when you slide the oring over the splines put some paper around the splines to keep from nicking it.
The types of Viton are interesting. I'm pretty sure the ones I have from Maryland Metrics are type A, common, and okay. I wonder if type F would be better as it has a better rating in resistance to the new types of engine oil. Rather than hardness, I think compression spring back is a better way to consider a type. They are all good seals but over spec is probably not the way to go. (my wife says I over think things )Anyway, here is an indepth description of the different Vitons:
http://rainierrubber.com/wp-content/...tion-Guide.pdf

As mentioned previously, I have some for free if you need one. They are cheap if you buy a bag from Maryland Metrics. And you could get whatever type you want. They have everything.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
So when you slide the oring over the splines put some paper around the splines to keep from nicking it.
The types of Viton are interesting. I'm pretty sure the ones I have from Maryland Metrics are type A, common, and okay. I wonder if type F would be better as it has a better rating in resistance to the new types of engine oil. Rather than hardness, I think compression spring back is a better way to consider a type. They are all good seals but over spec is probably not the way to go. (my wife says I over think things )Anyway, here is an indepth description of the different Vitons:
http://rainierrubber.com/wp-content/...tion-Guide.pdf

As mentioned previously, I have some for free if you need one. They are cheap if you buy a bag from Maryland Metrics. And you could get whatever type you want. They have everything.
A good read on the different types. I found them on Amazon and even thought they were listed as temporarily our of stock, I went ahead and placed the order and waited for them to restock. I had them in a week anyways so no biggie. $1.40 each with Prime free shipping ( bag of 10 ). I will hand some out at the Spring training meet.

M4x19 Viton O-Ring, 75A Durometer, Round, Black, Viton, 19 mm ID, 27 mm OD, 4 mm Width (Pack of 10): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in