modifying floorboards - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 10:45 am Thread Starter

modifying floorboards

I know i have been away for a while. Just wanted everyone who has bought a set of fixed floorboards from me in the past, i have come up with a way to modify them to flip up. Send me a private message here and i will let you know the details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Garage
Re: modifying floorboards

pm sent

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 12:03 am

pm sent

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 5:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodk64 View Post
I know i have been away for a while. Just wanted everyone who has bought a set of fixed floorboards from me in the past, i have come up with a way to modify them to flip up. Send me a private message here and i will let you know the details.
I would not mind seeing some pictures of them in the up position to make sure their is nothing in the way when you go in the twistys Some what to the clearance of the OEM Pegs Thats where I had trouble with them not that they are not easy enough to switch

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 8:23 am

I got a set of passenger floorboards with risers a few years ago. Thanks for making these available.

We had rented a GL1800 and she liked the arm rests and floor boards, so after years without them, I added armrests and passenger floorboards to our 99 K1200LT. The World's Preatest Pillion Rider is very happy with them.

I modified them so they would fold up because I found they interefered with the back of my legs when putting my feet on the ground.

I cut a slot in the lower of the two bolt holes in the floor board so that the floorboard would pivot on the upper bolt.
I put a dap of silcone sealant on the lower bolt to keep it from slipping forward or aft in the riser and keep it aligned with the slot in the floorboard. Resistance to folding is adjusted using the Nylok nut on the upper bolt which serves as the pivot.

When I come to a stop at an intersection, The World's Preatest Pillion Rider folds 'em up for me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	94529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	94537  

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 27th, 2015 at 1:16 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
I got a set of passenger floorboards with risers a few years ago. Thanks for making these available.

We had rented a GL1800 and she liked the arm rests and floor boards, so after years without them, I added armrests and passenger floorboards to our 99 K1200LT. The World's Preatest Pillion Rider is very happy with them.

I modified them so they would fold up because I found they interefered with the back of my legs when putting my feet on the ground.

I cut a slot in the lower of the two bolt holes in the floor board so that the floorboard would pivot on the upper bolt.
I put a dap of silcone sealant on the lower bolt to keep it from slipping forward or aft in the riser and keep it aligned with the slot in the floorboard. Resistance to folding is adjusted using the Nylok nut on the upper bolt which serves as the pivot.

When I come to a stop at an intersection, The World's Preatest Pillion Rider folds 'em up for me.

Charlie that would not work for me the piece attached to my foot plate is curved no way of doing what you did maybe you can see something that can be done with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_162039.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	94545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151127_161807.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	923.9 KB
ID:	94553  

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Nov 27th, 2015 at 4:05 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 27th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Charlie that would not work for me the piece attached to my foot plate is curved no way of doing what you did maybe you can see something that can be done with it
Yes, I can see that my modification only works for the passenger floor boards.
Darius says he has a fix, I'm curious what his fix for the rider floor boards might be. (I have the original foot pegs with Subarban Machinery lowering adaptors. I'm just speculating here based on your photos, as I don't have those rider floor boards.)

Left to my own devices, I'd see if the rider floor boards could be made to flip up by removing the set screw and just grinding down the mounting arm so that the assembly can pivot on the pin that fastens the floorboard to the tangs cast into the footpeg mounting plate on the bike.

Having the floor boards spring loaded like the original foot pegs would be nice, but you could probably manage without the spring.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 27th, 2015 at 5:51 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Yes, I can see that my modification only works for the passenger floor boards.
Darius says he has a fix, I'm curious what his fix for the rider floor boards might be. (I have the original foot pegs with Subarban Machinery lowering adaptors. I'm just speculating here based on your photos, as I don't have those rider floor boards.)

Left to my own devices, I'd see if the rider floor boards could be made to flip up by removing the set screw and just grinding down the mounting arm so that the assembly can pivot on the pin that fastens the floorboard to the tangs cast into the footpeg mounting plate on the bike.

Having the floor boards spring loaded like the original foot pegs would be nice, but you could probably manage without the spring.
Charlie your Idea would work to a point I went out to check it out on my bike even if I ground it off nice and round like the OEM Peg the floor board would not go real far back and it would hit the back of the plate Thats if I GOT your directions right and WHICH I think I did
I sent Darius a PM just curious what it looked like before I maybe sent mine to him but I did not get a response
Maybe we will have to wait for one of these other guys to get thiers done and put a picture on here I just wanted see if it flipped far enough up for me before I spent 60 dollars on them to have them modifyed
Quote From Darius) I cut the adapters below the first screw another piece of aluminum on the bottom of mount to form a sheft that floorboards rest on and pivots up

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Nov 28th, 2015 at 8:49 am.
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Charlie your Idea would work to a point I went out to check it out on my bike even if I ground it off nice and round like the OEM Peg the floor board would not go real far back and it would hit the back of the plate...
I guessed that would be the case. The only benefit of my bench grinder modification would be to allow the floor board to "give" a little when hitting the pavement in cornering. Even then, I'd wonder how the floorboard would behave "riding" the pavement. I imagined installing a puck on the underside of the leading edge so the floor board wouldn't "snag".

Again this is all highly speculative on my part.

I imagined that my proposed mod wouldn't allow the boards to fold up out of the way to allow for improved foot positioning during very low speed maneuvering foot grounding. I figure most folks who have installed rider floor boards aren't the peg scraping types anyway, so the prime motivation would be to get the boards to fold up out of the way of legs. I realized my proposed modification would not do that.

Darius probably wants to keep his stuff proprietary, and I don't blame him a bit for that. If he can squeeze a little more profit doing retrofit improvements for his floor boards, more power to him. He has done a great service in making these available; I'm an unapologetic advocate of free enterprise.

That said, I'm a tinkerer too, and am much about DIY mods.

Tags
floorboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in