Rain induced problem on '04 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Rain induced problem on '04 LT?

It appears my 2004 K1200LT (18500 miles) has developed an allergy to rain. Approximately 12 miles into my morning commute (in rain), the engine died when I was slowing for a red light. (The bike was parked in my carport overnight, so was dry upon departure). Fortunately she fired right back up, but I discovered she would not idle. I had to keep the engine speed at or above 1500 RPM to keep it running. At highway speed, I also noticed any slight throttle roll-off would result in what appeared to be higher than normal (excessive/abrupt) engine braking. For the evening commute back home, the rain had stopped, but the problem continued until it appeared the bike "dried out" and by the time I arrived home (64 miles later), she was running/idling normally. I have actually experienced this situation on two different days this week, with the problem only occurring after being in rain. Prior to these two time, I've experienced no problem at all in significantly heavier rain. Dry rides reveal no problem. I assume the first thing to do is have the dealer check the Motronic Codes...but was wondering if any forum members might have experienced a similar situation or have an idea as to what is causing this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:31 am

Canisterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdjr
It appears my 2004 K1200LT (18500 miles) has developed an allergy to rain. Approximately 12 miles into my morning commute (in rain), the engine died when I was slowing for a red light. (The bike was parked in my carport overnight, so was dry upon departure). Fortunately she fired right back up, but I discovered she would not idle. I had to keep the engine speed at or above 1500 RPM to keep it running. At highway speed, I also noticed any slight throttle roll-off would result in what appeared to be higher than normal (excessive/abrupt) engine braking. For the evening commute back home, the rain had stopped, but the problem continued until it appeared the bike "dried out" and by the time I arrived home (64 miles later), she was running/idling normally. I have actually experienced this situation on two different days this week, with the problem only occurring after being in rain. Prior to these two time, I've experienced no problem at all in significantly heavier rain. Dry rides reveal no problem. I assume the first thing to do is have the dealer check the Motronic Codes...but was wondering if any forum members might have experienced a similar situation or have an idea as to what is causing this problem.
It sounds as if the charcoal cannister may be getting plugged from the rain water entering the drain that hangs down behind the black piece of plastic that holds the license plate. It is on the right side if you are looking forward. Do a search in the FAQ's for removal of the cannister.

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Cannisterectomy was performed this morning.

Now I need to find some rain to see if my problems have been solved.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:01 am

Re: Cannisterectomy was performed this morning.

Did the cannisterectomy fix your problem? I have a 01 that gave me the same problem on a trip this fall. After moteling all night and still raining the next morning it ran bad. I finally held the throttle open at about 3,000 rpm's and it started running good. The rain stopped and never had any problems for the next 1,500 miles. But no rain either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in