• 1 Post By nikosK1200LT
  • 1 Post By FlyOrBike
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Hello All!

Hello All,

In September, I purchased a 2002 k1200lt which I prominently let take a nap at a gas station on my way home when a lady cut in front of me. I picked the bike up without too much problem.

The k1200 is definitely a different ride than a cruiser. It is growing on me quickly! Love the way this bike chews up the highway miles, smiles and says "Is that all you got?" Here in my part of the world it is almost nothing but straight roads for miles and miles with limited scenery. So, zipping through miles of straights to find some scenery to look at will be much easier now. Also, looking forward to some longer trips when I can find the time.

If the weather is abover 35F, I am out running errands on my bike. I also take time to get in 3-4 hour rides whenever possible (or more or less time). The car doesn't get much action unless the weather is bad.

Only problem: It is way too easy to speed. I have to keep a close watch on the speedo for now.

I have already read and learned a lot about these bikes on this forum. Thanks for all the help you have already provided!

Have a great day (or night)!

guitarjim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Re: Hello All!

Welcome Jim. Yep, they do like to take naps if you force them to stop unexpectedly. I did that just recently in front of some fellow riders. Embarrassing yes but most of them had done it also.

If you get a chance to ride with someone who has a GPS, you are going to likely find that your speedometer is off by as much as 10% usually reading low so find a GPS and ride along side so you know just how far off your reading is. You may not really be speeding

I couldn't figure out why everyone was going so much faster than me till I mounted a GPS on mine and it is like almost 10 MPH low on the reading so I use my GPS for a speedometer now.

Fill out the rest of your profile, let us know where you are so other riders kinow if you are close enough to hook up. Lots to learn and once you know it, you can help others if you so choose.

Gordon
guitarjim likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

I used a speedometer app to find my bike is consistently off by 4mph; no matter what speed I am going (30 or 60 or any other), the speed was off by the same 4mph. That being said, when the speed limit is 40mph and I look down and see 60mph... The other day, I was going about 45mph and hit the gas to get through a yellow light. Looked down and was doing 80mph indicated in a 40mph zone...oops.

Thanks for the heads up!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
I used a speedometer app to find my bike is consistently off by 4mph; no matter what speed I am going (30 or 60 or any other), the speed was off by the same 4mph. That being said, when the speed limit is 40mph and I look down and see 60mph... The other day, I was going about 45mph and hit the gas to get through a yellow light. Looked down and was doing 80mph indicated in a 40mph zone...oops.

Thanks for the heads up!
Well, first gear is good to about 61 MPH before it hits the rev limiter so I guess you were in second or third

It loves higher revs and won't hurt it. I hope you have found all Kirk's videos done by the Illinois BMW Motorrad club. So much good information there for a new owner on the LT and how to keep her purring.
guitarjim likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Watched some of the Illinois Club videos before the purchase as part of making my decision. I have watched some after the purchase too. Very good information and a lot of help.
post #6 of 19 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Well, the easy way to avoid speeding is to..PSYCH!!! there is no easy way to avoid speeding on the LT Do you have the bike computer? It is strange but if you switch the bike computer to the average speed while you are say running down the road with the cruise on, and hit reset on the BC, it will give you your accurate speed, which on my bike is approx 5 mph over the speedo reading. Welcome to the Forum
guitarjim likes this.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 19 Old Nov 25th, 2015, 7:49 am

Welcome home Jim. Well as you said about speeding, I was driving along our E75/A1 at 170 Km/h in Greece on my way to Athens and I was overtaken by my thoughts when I checked again my speedo was reading 210 km/h although I did not try to push it. Yes, the LT gets carried away really fast on the throttle.
guitarjim likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old Nov 25th, 2015, 3:59 pm

There is an easy mod here for the speedo to make it more accurate. Another must-do mod on the 2002s is to upgrade the throttle cables. The original design would wear and get hard to turn. Drill the weep hole; can be done with a long drill if you are careful. I just had a rear master cylinder leak so I will upgrade the brake lines at the same time. Finally, it is a much easier bike with the top case (40lbs) removed.

I could not maintain this bike but for the good people who post to this list. Thanks guys.
guitarjim likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 11:29 am

welcome to the herd, Jim.
Yes the bike is truly unique and a real pleasure to ride. Bon appetite

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #10 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Welcome Jim
No ticket for speeding yet and I think the reason for that is that I use the cruise control OFTEN.
That way I can open her up to pass and then let the cruise take over to slow me back down. Otherwise I'm going 90 or better down the big roads. Of course I don't use the cruise in the twisties. On a 40 mile curve I enter at 60 and power out near 90. LOVE this LT.

No other bike like it my opinion.

Continue to enjoy your ride.
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #11 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Welcome Jim. You have one the best bikes ever built, of course we all vent from time to time. But, we always fix whatever is wrong and continue riding with a smile on our face. If you need any help this site will usually help with any of your problems, Best advice is keep a check on air pressure in tires and ride it like you stole it.
Leon
post #12 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Hello Jim. I live in Scotland (UK) and we don't have a lot of long straight roads but the LT loves corners as well, before I had my LT turned into a trike she spent more time lent over on the foot pegs than upright. Go ride.
post #13 of 19 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Are you the same guitarjim from Volusia Riders? If so, I totally understand what you mean. I recently upgraded to an 1100RT, and the speed feels of to me too. You don't realize you're going nearly as fast as you actually are. I was in a 45 zone the other night and thought I was fine on speed. Looked down at the speedo and I was already at 70.

2000 R1100RT
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 6:22 pm

hello. I have found lots of good info so far. have very little time on my machine but have enjoyed the short time I have on it. Very concerned about the amount of upkeep as you maybe, given any other bike I have had was change the oil ride it for a year or two then fix some minor thing. Hopefully we both found a good one and can ride it a season without having to put a ton of money in it.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Hey Whiskey, Yeah, It's me! I haven't broken the news on the other forum yet and still have my c50 at the moment. I gotta figure out a way for my wife to let me keep it as it is a lot of fun around town. Although a different kind of fun. On my c50, someone is always making a comment on how much they like it but on this BMW, nothing said so far...lol. I'll be putting some info up on the VR site this next week probably. That site seems to be a little more lively.

I wasn't sure which model I was going to purchase but got a great deal on the K series so I went with it. I was looking at models in my affordability range...

Rosmba - I plan to do all of my own maintenance and any repairs if needed. I will be doing an oil change this week. Unless there is a major part error, it doesn't look like cost of maintenance is too bad if not paying a local mechanic $125 an hour. I did the work on my other bike too.

I am sure this place is like most others. When people have issues, they gripe about them and try to fix them. If they don't have issues, they roll along and don't say a word. The vocal few talk bad about their problems but it seems the vast majority of BMW motorcycle owners do their regular maintenance and ride their bikes with little to no problems. I should double check the day my bike was made on. Bikes made on hungover Mondays seem to have more problems... no empirical data available to prove this statement.
Whiskey likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 28th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Hey Whiskey, Yeah, It's me! I haven't broken the news on the other forum yet and still have my c50 at the moment. I gotta figure out a way for my wife to let me keep it as it is a lot of fun around town. Although a different kind of fun. On my c50, someone is always making a comment on how much they like it but on this BMW, nothing said so far...lol. I'll be putting some info up on the VR site this next week probably. That site seems to be a little more lively.

I wasn't sure which model I was going to purchase but got a great deal on the K series so I went with it. I was looking at models in my affordability range...

Rosmba - I plan to do all of my own maintenance and any repairs if needed. I will be doing an oil change this week. Unless there is a major part error, it doesn't look like cost of maintenance is too bad if not paying a local mechanic $125 an hour. I did the work on my other bike too.

I am sure this place is like most others. When people have issues, they gripe about them and try to fix them. If they don't have issues, they roll along and don't say a word. The vocal few talk bad about their problems but it seems the vast majority of BMW motorcycle owners do their regular maintenance and ride their bikes with little to no problems. I should double check the day my bike was made on. Bikes made on hungover Mondays seem to have more problems... no empirical data available to prove this statement.
Jim, I think we're just into a seasonality thing when a lot of people are just busy with the transition to colder weather, working on weather-related honey-do lists, or playing catch-up on stuff neglected during riding season. The forum will likely get a lot busier in the post-winter run-up to riding season, when folks start hitting the wrench in earnest and the chatter should ramp-up going into the ride season along with pre-ride maintenance issues.

Bob
Whiskey likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #17 of 19 Old Nov 29th, 2015, 8:46 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Jim, I think we're just into a seasonality thing when a lot of people are just busy with the transition to colder weather, working on weather-related honey-do lists, or playing catch-up on stuff neglected during riding season. The forum will likely get a lot busier in the post-winter run-up to riding season, when folks start hitting the wrench in earnest and the chatter should ramp-up going into the ride season along with pre-ride maintenance issues.

Bob
Don't judge Jim too harshly on that statement. We had about 5 guys on the VR that were responsible for 99% of the traffic. Everyone around here is friendly and it's plenty lively.

2000 R1100RT
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks! I am sure winter will increase the chats here. Then, when people start to get stir crazy, things may get really interesting.
post #19 of 19 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Jim, one of the favorite topics is oil. You'll be sure to have endless hours of entertaining discussion if you can get a good oil thread going. I've had my 2002 for about a year and a half and love it. Truth be told, I gave my bike a short nap in the PO's garage trying to put it up onto the center stand. Knocked the mirror off and all I could say was "I broke it, guess I'll buy it." Best nap the bike has taken. This forum has so many active knowledgeable and helpful members there doesn't seem to be a topic or issue that can't be addressed and resolved. Happy riding!

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in