Hesitation & Smoke - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Hesitation & Smoke

I just got back from a little spin which reminded me to post a little problem of mine (actually, 2):
When coming out of turns in 2nd gear, I get a "hesitation". It feels like the engine is losing all of its power until I open the throttle a little more - then the hesitation kicks off and it accelerates fine. Sometimes from stoplights, etc, I get hesitation in 2nd & even 3rd. It doesn't always happen. I searched under the seat for this brown wire but found no such thing anywhere in the region unless it's hidden VERY well. I use 89 oct (silver/midgrade) since that's what the gas compartment cover says - intermediate 91.
Also, when I open her up really hard, which is not very often [I swear], at 7-8k rpms I get a considerable puff of smoke. I don't know if the 2 problems are in kahoots with each other.
I just had the 12k service so I know all the fluids are full & clean (I checked them out too) - what's the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
I just got back from a little spin which reminded me to post a little problem of mine (actually, 2):
When coming out of turns in 2nd gear, I get a "hesitation". It feels like the engine is losing all of its power until I open the throttle a little more - then the hesitation kicks off and it accelerates fine. Sometimes from stoplights, etc, I get hesitation in 2nd & even 3rd. It doesn't always happen. I searched under the seat for this brown wire but found no such thing anywhere in the region unless it's hidden VERY well. I use 89 oct (silver/midgrade) since that's what the gas compartment cover says - intermediate 91.
Also, when I open her up really hard, which is not very often [I swear], at 7-8k rpms I get a considerable puff of smoke. I don't know if the 2 problems are in kahoots with each other.
I just had the 12k service so I know all the fluids are full & clean (I checked them out too) - what's the problem?
On the 'considerable puff of smoke --- I found this in the HoW pages. And also, from the HoW pages, here is some info about the hesitation 'feature'. HTH.
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Could be the brown wire but my 02 only did that when it was very warm outside and I noticed mostly in first and second, but that could be just the difference in our driving habits.
I looked for the brown wire a couple of times with no success until I got real determined, its on the right side along the frame tube under the drivers seat wiring harness and it's just a little one inch loop.
I don't know what would be the source of the smoke?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in