10Likes
  • 1 Post By 2191
  • 2 Post By Panzer
  • 1 Post By norton
  • 4 Post By Moogie
  • 2 Post By biometrics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 11:38 am Thread Starter

just read about mirrors falling off. What else?

Seriously thinking of buying a1200 lt. Just read about the breakaway mirrors thing. That is OK as long as I know about it. What else do I need to know? Is there a particular thread here that has that info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 11:56 am

Re: just read about mirrors falling off. What else?

The breakaway mirrors are fine and they normally don't just fall off but if you hit a big bump and the clips are a little lose, they can or of you bump against them.

Just make sure you have them tethered so they don't hit the ground and you will be fine. Mine are looped through loosely with some plastic tie wraps that allow them to come lose to remove tupperewar but not fall.

Mine are also outfitted with the Muth mirrors with the turn signal embedded so i also have wires running to mine that help but only a little

There are many threads on this site but watching the videos by the BMW Motorrad club of Illinois that will be helpfull in learning about this particular bike.

http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/ser...eos/15-k-bikes

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 1:48 pm

I read a thread here a while ago about magnets, and haven given it some thought but I have a tendency to ignore anything not critical till the end of the riding season. I may try them in the off season(which is quickly approaching)
here it the link
Replace your side pod clips with magnets

post #4 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 2:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Also the clips actually work better if greased lightly. This allows the bails to slide over the ball studs farther creating more "grip". I have had mine tethered for 11 years and I have never had one come loose yet, maybe one two clips popped but never all three.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Also the clips actually work better if greased lightly. This allows the bails to slide over the ball studs farther creating more "grip". I have had mine tethered for 11 years and I have never had one come loose yet, maybe one two clips popped but never all three.
I haven't had one come off either but in the referenced magnet link, he was talking about them coming off while on the dirt. Probably a little rougher than most folks would like to be taking an LT

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 5:00 pm

I have owned Triumphs, Honda Gold Wing, Several Harley Ultra Classics, BMW R1150 and the K1200LT is by far the cream of the crop. If you like the K1200LT buy one and ride it like you stole it. If you have any problem just post it one this site and help will follow. Good luck in your decision.
post #7 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Smile Re: just read about mirrors falling off. What else?

I have my mirrors tethered using SS fishing leader.

Just a other approach to secure the mirrors.

I don't trust plastic.
pkpr1998 likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old Nov 20th, 2015, 8:35 pm

My LightTruck is as dependable as the sunrise. The maintenance is either expensive, or a little annoying. (Annoying if you do it yourself, but you rapidly become good at it, if you're in any way mechanical.)

If I had a complaint, it's that they didn't rein in the Engineers when they should have. It's the messiest oil change I've ever seen, and there are a few...oddities like the pins that restrain the shifter ball joints...but to their credit, all attachment points are designed for a lifetime of service, and a well maintained LT will run forever.

They're sure getting cheap, too.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #9 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnutter View Post
Seriously thinking of buying a1200 lt. Just read about the breakaway mirrors thing. That is OK as long as I know about it. What else do I need to know? Is there a particular thread here that has that info?
I think we are missing the spirit of the question. I don’t think lsnutter is looking for mirror information or a comparison with other bikes. I think lsnutter is looking for a summarized list of common issues. I too have searched the forum for this information with no luck. I myself have had to replace the clutch and split line in the fuel pump. I also thought I read thru this forum and thought I found all the common issues, but sure enough my LT sits with a broken shift linkage. I did not see anything until I looked for it specifically, then I found all sorts of fixes. Now the broken linkage is one of the newest posts, so I guess they do cycle. Another example: a friend told me about the trunk latch and said “fix it before it breaks” (I think this is something else lost in tribal knowledge that a newcomer would not know to search). If you ( lsnutter ) are looking for something else, and my agenda got in the way I apologize.
Final drive
Clutch fouled by leaking slave cylinder / oring or main seal
Mirrors pop off
Shift Linkages loosen and balls break

tl;dr we need a list of common LT issues or thinks to know. If there is a good one it should be sticky in my opinion.
sailor and eremite06 like this.

02 K1200LTC Black
post #10 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 7:00 am

Be aware of and ask for the maintenance records and be sure regular maintenance was performed per the manual. If there have been several previous owners in recent years most likely means the bike has issues. Especially make sure the brake fluid changing/flush was done regularly and new brake lines should have been installed by now. Is Clutch slipping, (engine, tranny, slave cylinder leaks) a big issue.
History of the final drive, is it original or rebuilt when and by who? Is the bike in fairly stock condition and not cobbled up by previous owners. Ask for all the manuals if they have them, important as the LT has a lots of stuff to learn about. The LT bikes are fantastic if maintenance was keep up but if not you can be getting into quite a few frustrating and expensive number of maintenance items and/or repairs. If your not good with a wrench then it can be very very expensive and you will soon realize the great deal you got on the bike will cost you an arm and a leg.

Not trying to scare you away, but the reality of buying a neglected bike can hurt so do your due diligence.

If something does not look or sound right walk away there are lots of decent LT's for sale.

Good Luck.
sailor likes this.

Scott
2007 LT

Last edited by norton; Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:08 am.
post #11 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 8:42 am

Stock slastic fuel line QDs;
Foot pegs ground down from too much fun in twisties;
Smile and smiles for miles and miles;
It's a machine designed by humans, it is like most, some will break. Fix it and move on down the road to your next adventure.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 12:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
tl;dr we need a list of common LT issues or thinks to know. If there is a good one it should be sticky in my opinion.
Guess we should put a sticky that points to "Tools", Technical", "Hall of Wisdom". That is where you will find all the answers and it is even indexed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Guess we should put a sticky that points to "Tools", Technical", "Hall of Wisdom". That is where you will find all the answers and it is even indexed.
"halls of wisdom"... oh yeah forgot that was the name and convinced myself I was thinking of the index on the vstrom forum. well there goes the next "free" 3-4 hours of my life.

don't know who indexed it, but great job by the way.

02 K1200LTC Black
post #14 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Kirk has a video telling of such issues, both positive and negative.
BMW K1200LT Bike Overview

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 24 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 9:19 pm

+1 on Kirk's videos. And don't forget about the bad headlight ground. I just fixed mine.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #16 of 24 Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. That video from Kirk is a little scary. Makes me think third or fourth time before I buy. I don't mind a little maintenance but constant repairs is different. I farm a little with 30 year old tractors and I have enough repairs already.
post #17 of 24 Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 10:06 am

Garage

Never would of bought mine if it was a constant repair situation. Constant repair reminds of my 60-70s Triumphs

It's been awhile since I watched the video but it's probably more like 'what to look out for'; not that these issues happen with every single LT.

Example: My LT has 60K, still has original final drive and clutch slave with no issues. I do plan on changing out the slave this winter though as part of maintenance.

Last edited by Merical; Nov 23rd, 2015 at 11:37 am.
post #18 of 24 Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 12:55 pm

Eight years and 25,000 added miles on a used bike I've done routine maintenance. one tune up, the usual fluids, two sets of tires, brake pads. Changed brake lines, HID kit and repair ground wire, one battery and a few light bulbs.
Every year the smile gets bigger and the desire to ride more increases. Will never get rid of this bike but I will add another ride.
Best bang for your buck.
Find one that's had the clutch and final drive changed.
Age 60 and not a mechanic but can get it done with this forums help.
norton, Munmi, biometrics and 1 others like this.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #19 of 24 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 9:34 am

Smile Re: just read about mirrors falling off. What else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
Eight years and 25,000 added miles on a used bike I've done routine maintenance. one tune up, the usual fluids, two sets of tires, brake pads. Changed brake lines, HID kit and repair ground wire, one battery and a few light bulbs.
Every year the smile gets bigger and the desire to ride more increases. Will never get rid of this bike but I will add another ride.
Best bang for your buck.
Find one that's had the clutch and final drive changed.
Age 60 and not a mechanic but can get it done with this forums help.
I concur with all said except waiting to find one with the final drive and clutch replaced. There is way to know the skill level of the person who made those repairs. I say, if you find a nice bike, buy it, since you can't predict for sure that you will ever have a failure in these parts...

With this forum's help, a couple of manuals, and youtube, you can repair anything you have the time and tools for.

I had a final drive main bearing and rear seal fail on my R1100RT (Same type final drive as the K1200LT), and I repaired it myself with just less than $200 in parts, and some new tools I will likely use again. In the mean time, the tools are paid for, and the education about my bike that I received in performing this repair I couldn't put a price on. I am confident I could repair any part of this bike now.

The only thing dealerships are good for is new bikes, original parts, and warranty work. After that, they will never see my money.

BTW, I am 68... so I have a few years on you...
cws and eremite06 like this.

1983 R100 Airhead & Velorex 562 Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (SOLD! ...just too darn tall for me!)
1999 R1100RT-P (SOLD!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (SOLD!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
post #20 of 24 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post

They're sure getting cheap, too.
I always tell people that my LT is the poor mans Goldwing!! The reality being it is a much more sophisticated machine than the GW, having owned a GL1800, I love the ride and features of the LT way better!!
I guess it is a little odd that they do sell for so little in comparison...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 24 Old Nov 25th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcg View Post
I read a thread here a while ago about magnets, and haven given it some thought but I have a tendency to ignore anything not critical till the end of the riding season. I may try them in the off season(which is quickly approaching)
here it the link
Steve that is a Great way of putting on the mirrors thanks for the info I just ordered the Magnets and the other things I need this is my next project I have issuse with my mirrors every time I put them on

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #22 of 24 Old Nov 26th, 2015, 8:10 am

common issues.

BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #23 of 24 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
I always tell people that my LT is the poor mans Goldwing!! The reality being it is a much more sophisticated machine than the GW, having owned a GL1800, I love the ride and features of the LT way better!!
I guess it is a little odd that they do sell for so little in comparison...
To a certain extent, all bikes get cheap over time (I was sorely tempted by a 2002 Speed Triple, 12000 miles and $3500...and another 2012 Kawi C14 that was half price at $7500)

But there's still the (accurate) perception that these are high-labor-cost bikes to work on, with a reputation for some pretty scary issues. (smoke on startup, 4% final drive failures, Expensive 6,000 and 12,000 mile service intervals.)

I get the impression that non-boxer BMW's have a Porsche 944 reputation in a 911 racing club. Doubly so for the Light Truck. I've seen two separate BMW histories (a book and a Museum tour) that left it out entirely.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #24 of 24 Old Dec 1st, 2015, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcg View Post
here it the link
I was just looking at that magnet way of doing it;; does anybody know how you put the magnets on the mirror part with out taking the mirror glass part off it self
I know I am sort getting off track for this Thread
Plus mine do not look like that in the picture it must not be off a LT

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in