"Autopark"/Droppers Anon. Pins--Let's make one! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

"Autopark"/Droppers Anon. Pins--Let's make one!

OK, somehow I was elevated to "senior member" so I guess that carries with it some level of responsibility to go with the sexy title (I've learned that chicks dig three things: scars, tattoos, and a business card that includes "Senior Member, BMWLT.COM").

IF there is enough interest, I'm gonna' have a special jacket pin made and sell them at cost to anyone on the forum, related to forum members, friends of forum members, people forum members want to MAKE FUN OF, etc. to commemorate the event that has been coined on the threads as "auto-parking."

Requirements for membership and a pin will be: 1. actually PAYING for the thing and 2. confessing your sin

But, since I cannot draw a stick figure without a template and three hours with photoshop, my role is just as an idea man for this one.

Follow my post on this thread with ideas for what this thing should look like. Got a way with graphics? Post your proposed pin design. Maybe it's an upside down LT with feet sticking out from underneath. Maybe it's an understated "D.A." with the double-meaning of "droppers anonymous" and "dumb ass." Maybe it's an official BMW service shop repair bill, who knows?

I'll collect everything for a month or so, find out how much the pins would cost (and where the price break would come in), then figure out a way to put the designs up for a "vote" and make it happen.

Or tell me it's a stupid idea and to get more sleep.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 2:49 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Why not just get it as a tattoo and then just wait for the chicks to come running?

Or how about a tattoo of Tattoo?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:39 am

sigh....I'll take one.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:39 am

Pete-
I thought this is such a great idea. I immediately took to the drawing board (actually, Visio) and came up with this doodle. I think it conveys the message pretty well.

If this idea takes off, I can give him a real body and fill the LT in with color. I'm just throwing this out there before I spend too much time on a design that won't catch on. Rate the idea - not this as a final product. I'm using my own experience where I stood there puzzled and confused about what to do next... also thinking I, myself, was the "dumb ass."
Thanks Guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D.A. Pin Sketch Visio.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	6665  
post #5 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:44 am

I like it! I was so mad at myself when I dropped mine!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
OK, somehow I was elevated to "senior member" so I guess that carries with it some level of responsibility to go with the sexy title (I've learned that chicks dig three things: scars, tattoos, and a business card that includes "Senior Member, BMWLT.COM").

IF there is enough interest, I'm gonna' have a special jacket pin made and sell them at cost to anyone on the forum, related to forum members, friends of forum members, people forum members want to MAKE FUN OF, etc. to commemorate the event that has been coined on the threads as "auto-parking."

Requirements for membership and a pin will be: 1. actually PAYING for the thing and 2. confessing your sin

But, since I cannot draw a stick figure without a template and three hours with photoshop, my role is just as an idea man for this one.

Follow my post on this thread with ideas for what this thing should look like. Got a way with graphics? Post your proposed pin design. Maybe it's an upside down LT with feet sticking out from underneath. Maybe it's an understated "D.A." with the double-meaning of "droppers anonymous" and "dumb ass." Maybe it's an official BMW service shop repair bill, who knows?

I'll collect everything for a month or so, find out how much the pins would cost (and where the price break would come in), then figure out a way to put the designs up for a "vote" and make it happen.

Or tell me it's a stupid idea and to get more sleep.

Pete
You'll NEED more sleep before your finished! Everyone who has had an LT for at least 6 weeks has dropped it!

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #7 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
You'll NEED more sleep before your finished! Everyone who has had an LT for at least 6 weeks has dropped it!
Haven't dropped it yet... but I know my day is coming... Can you get one of these as a suplus item and then wear it proudly once the D.A. thought crosses your mind?

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 2:12 pm

will think about it....Huuummmmm OK I need another pin for my ROBO cap...hehehe
Only my friends have dropped my LT....
what about those of us who are members of ZMDC...(Zero Motorcycle Down Club)
will work on something next week when bored at the office...

just wait until you become a "Moderator" going to need a big stick!! LOL
to keep the women you mentioned in line

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #9 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 3:12 pm

I'll take one...
post #10 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Tried this a while back, but no takers. I wouldn't need one yet, but I fully expect to in the not to distant future.

My design (I stole the bike image) is based on the BMF year bars, every year of membership you get a new bar to add. I though folks could add a bar every time they dropped their LT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	droppers.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	6676  

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #11 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 5:37 pm

CCR Pin

I guess there already is one, but the same design idea could be used and you just add a location year bar for each CCR you attend.

Just an idea while we are talking badges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCR Pin.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	6677  

Rgds
Mike

post #12 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:42 pm

I guess I'll take a couple... or three

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #13 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:53 pm

Count me in

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #14 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Cool Bars=Drops!!!

I'd be bent over from the number of bars on mine.

In the military we got a ribbon (and a medal) for the first award then a star for each subsequent award.

Just a thought. Some of the less coordinated among us we clank so much when we walked we'd sound like wind chimes in a typhoon.
post #15 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Let's all be careful with these, or we'll start to look like some of our friends in the Goldwing and HD crowd with the metal-encrusted leather vests. Souvenirs of all the rallies, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Additiona Pin Thoughts

I like the idea and I'll take a couple. Being retired US Air Force, maybe you could consider a special cluster or star for someone who dropped the machine twice in one day and maybe a really special device, like a wreath around the star or a gold cluster for someone who got his SO trapped underneath on one of those drops. Yes, she did get back on on the blue lady after I got her back up on two wheels.
post #17 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:43 pm

Smile

I am in for a pin as well. Still sounds like a good idea to put on my jacket. In case anyone is getting really serious about it, I've been updating my little project and thought I would post a better version! I couldn't look at this pic an not laugh.
-Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D.A. Pin Sketch Visio Edit1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	6685  
post #18 of 48 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:48 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Some of the less coordinated among us we clank so much when we walked we'd sound like wind chimes in a typhoon.
But that's how the rest of us would know not to park next to y'all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 48 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:23 am

Quote:
(I've learned that chicks dig three things: scars, tattoos, and a business card that includes "Senior Member, BMWLT.COM").

Pete
Well, with two of the three covered (need that business card), I guess the great mystery of what Telle (my beautiful wife) sees in me has been solved!
post #20 of 48 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
...In the military we got a ribbon (and a medal) for the first award then a star for each subsequent award...
As I mentioned in the other thread on this topic (before this thread was created), there could be stars, oak leaf clusters, or other devices for multiple drops and unique circumstances... like dropping the bike while it's on the stand AND no one is on it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 48 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Wink

You don't think that this would encourage folks to drop on down just to get a pin??

If you wanted to be a bit obscure, LT rotated counterclockwise 180deg looks like the number 17......
post #22 of 48 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
... like dropping the bike while it's on the stand AND no one is on it.
..that happened to me in my 1st week - parked up behind my garage, got off, taking my helmet & gloves off, and heard a sickening crunch ...

whats your story ??

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #23 of 48 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
..that happened to me in my 1st week - parked up behind my garage, got off, taking my helmet & gloves off, and heard a sickening crunch ...

whats your story ??
Happened two times (because I'm a slow learner): bike on center stand, but on a very slight downhill incline. First time, leaned up against the top case and it rolled forward. Second time, wife moved from passenger seat to front seat (after I dismounted) and it rolled forward.

Now, we never park it where there is even a hint of a DOWNHILL incline (uphill is OK) and we use the side stand almost exclusively. Just got over the need to use the center stand before dismounting. If we must park it downhill we're sure to roll it against the compression stroke of first gear.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 48 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:42 am

I like the design,definetely want one.(2) drops for me.

Rob Steffens
2002 LTC Black
"Do We Stop Playing because we grow Old
Or do We Grow Old because We Stop Playing."
post #25 of 48 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

another option...Challenge Coins

I'll post pics Monday, but law enforcement departments have picked up on the military "challenge coin" idea and use it for "attaboys" for good jobs done, for when cops travel for training, etc. We could get it double sided, the dropped logo on one side, the stylized graphic above on the other, 3-color if I order 50 would be less than 8 bucks each...and the beauty of it would be the way the challenge coin works...

for those not familiar, if you're in a bar with other military types and it's time for the next round, you pull your "coin," anyone who forgot his/hers has to buy the next round. Now we'd never EVER ride after drinking, so this would only be for after rides on multi-day events, but if someone gets to talking about a drop, and everyone pulls their coins, whoever is without buys the next round.

Just an idea.

Three color would be about $8 at the price break, and no risk of "looking like a gold winger"

lemme know

post #26 of 48 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Cool

I did a trip with a friend who rides a Harley and his sidestand had some sort of locking device or keeper that kept the bike from rolling forward. Anyone know anything about that?

Denny
post #27 of 48 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Harley's locking sidestand

their proprietary "jiffy stand" (actual name) involves a lockout notch, once you've rotated the bar forward enough and pressure is out on it, it CANNOT be pushed backwards.

And they won't share.

Only potential downside to that technology is that if you were to go from neutral to first and move forward with the "jiffy stand" down, and try to lean left, you'd stick it into the pavement and either twirl like a ballerina, or get really really hurt.

click here then zoom the image: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

when extended and pressure is put on, the notch on the sidestand/jiffystand locks into the oblong hole, and makes it impossible for it to rotate backwards

post #28 of 48 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 4:51 am

I didn't think anyone else was as clumsy as I am and i was afraid y'all would laugh at me. I'm glad I'm not alone. I've dropped it at stop signs, in parking lots, and driveways. I can tell you from experience that IF you drop it on an incline, rotate the bike so the wheels are pointing down hill. It is impossible to lift by yourself if they are pointing uphill. It spins very easily on the chrome strip on the panniers and the black crash guard.
That being said, I think I need one with Oakleaf Clusters, stars, and bars or whatever you have for multiple drops.
I've never been down while moving, thank God, but it just comes to a stop and gracefully eases on down to the pavement, grass, gravel, or any other surface it takes a fancy to. Come to think of it, maybe it ISN'T me, maybe it's the bike just wanting to lie down.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #29 of 48 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 7:21 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
I've never been down while moving, thank God, but it just comes to a stop and gracefully eases on down to the pavement, grass, gravel, or any other surface it takes a fancy to. Come to think of it, maybe it ISN'T me, maybe it's the bike just wanting to lie down.

Robin
Sometimes the ol girl just gets tired a needs to lay down and take a rest

Stevie Shreeve
post #30 of 48 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:33 pm

0 MPH Crashes

I'll take two thank you. Please note that I have only dropped mine on the

Left side and still have less than 6000 Miles on her.
post #31 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

lil' help here...

Great feedback so far...

Personally, I'm diggin' the idea of a nice roundel-type raised metallic decal, give me some help here so I can start researching as you guys and gals come up with design ideas...

should we go with:

pins

"challenge coins" (which got no response)

or a special decal that could be put on the bike itself?

Pete

(I'll collect everything for a couple more weeks, then take a ballot and go ahead and get prices, etc)

post #32 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Great feedback so far...
even though I like the pin idea, I like the decal for the bike even better.

Rgds
Mike

post #33 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Pins with add-ons would be cool, but decals with add-ons would be cheaper.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #34 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Why not just get it as a tattoo and then just wait for the chicks to come running?

Or how about a tattoo of Tattoo?

What are you thinking?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #35 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
I have had mine since april haven't drop it yet oh @#$% should not have said that I'll drop it tomorrow. I did mange a panic stop when my daughter pulled out in front of me
post #36 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
should we go with:
pins
"challenge coins" (which got no response)
Pete put me down for a decal or two... or three.

Motor On ,/'

post #37 of 48 Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:52 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
How about a PTO decal (Please Turn Over) or the more common "This End Up"?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #38 of 48 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 6:21 am

I'll take three

Once in the lot on the way out for the test drive...
Once at the sushi joint (God, just take me now!)...
And the final drop I pissed and moaned over in my very first post! Big one.

I like the pin or coin ideas. Decals start to pile up on vehicles and can look tacky (no pun intended)

I'll buy several of whatever gets the most votes. I don't have a bike payment any more

Go for it, Pete!
post #39 of 48 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:06 am

I've put mine on the side stand, walked away and heard it crunch the tarmac. Put me down for a pin.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #40 of 48 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:31 am

Red face

First choice PIN
Second choice COIN
Although the bike has only been down once [so far] I would take two pins. One to wear and one for my pin collection.

Gene VanEssendelft
01 1200 Lt Blue Knight
98 1200 Rc Ivory **SOLD**
00 1150 GS Silver
CMA,
, AMA,MOA,RA,BK,ADV,IBMR
START AT THE BEGINNING - WHEN YOU GET TO THE END STOP!
post #41 of 48 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:49 am

Definetly count me in on for this one.
The location bar could be included in the registration fee for CCR each year. Prior bars could be purchased along with the CCR roundel.

Gene VanEssendelft
01 1200 Lt Blue Knight
98 1200 Rc Ivory **SOLD**
00 1150 GS Silver
CMA,
, AMA,MOA,RA,BK,ADV,IBMR
START AT THE BEGINNING - WHEN YOU GET TO THE END STOP!
post #42 of 48 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:49 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

You can put me down for 2 so far!!!

Stevie Shreeve
post #43 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:26 am

I'm embarrassed to admit it but...

I dumped mine TWICE yesterday! Arrrgghhhh! Awkward situation at a downhill-facing, off-camber stop sign. Broke the black bumper guard and the silver plastic beneath it. Went back later after work to look for a missing piece, put the bike on the sidestand - on the level- walked over to the 1st drop spot and heard a crash. Looked over to see the bike on the ground - again! Can you say $%#*&!!! Sure, I knew you could. BUT, having seen the link to the video of the guy picking up his LT I picked mine up both times. I'm down to 145 pounds right now and it wasn't too bad, actually. I don't feel like getting too familiar with this process, though. I've tallied 4 drops in less than the two mionths I've had the bike. It's that darned ABS - don't even THINK about touching the front brake lever when coming to a low-speed stop.

Yeah, I'd take one of whatever you come up with - as long as it's discreet
post #44 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtwisty
I dumped mine TWICE yesterday! Arrrgghhhh! Awkward situation at a downhill-facing, off-camber stop sign. Broke the black bumper guard and the silver plastic beneath it. Went back later after work to look for a missing piece, put the bike on the sidestand - on the level- walked over to the 1st drop spot and heard a crash. Looked over to see the bike on the ground - again! Can you say $%#*&!!! Sure, I knew you could. BUT, having seen the link to the video of the guy picking up his LT I picked mine up both times. I'm down to 145 pounds right now and it wasn't too bad, actually. I don't feel like getting too familiar with this process, though. I've tallied 4 drops in less than the two mionths I've had the bike. It's that darned ABS - don't even THINK about touching the front brake lever when coming to a low-speed stop.

Yeah, I'd take one of whatever you come up with - as long as it's discreet
I dropped mine yesterday, but for some reason I'm feeling much better about that incident right now. Thanks!

I'll take one.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #45 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:27 pm

Put me in for a gross,or as Pete Puma said, "I'll take a whole lotta lumps". Seriously though, I'll take a couple, sounds like a great idea.
post #46 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:15 pm
cws

Garage
yup, pack it up with camping gear and thats me last Xmas... same side and all
I dont think what I said started with a "D" though...
at least it was soft dirt/grass, no damage done!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #47 of 48 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

First choice pin
Second choice decal
Third choice patch for a jacket
In any case, put me down for two, so far
post #48 of 48 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 4:23 am

D.A. Pin

Alright, I admit it. About 5 weeks ago I was pulling up to a gas pump and while trying to avoid a possible slippery spot, hit the brakes, slow speed, with the bars turned, looking were I was about to land. Pretty much most of the sins prior to fall down and go boom.
If you count dropping the '02 I had while trying to put it on a Handy-lift by myself, then I need two pins.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in