Oops!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Red face Oops!!!

Just joined the club!! This is not something I ever wanted to do but I did and almost did it twice.

Went to show my 82 year old father my new pride and joy. He was just blown away by the bike and all its technology to the point where he said he was having goose bumps at the sophistication of it all.

The piece de resistance (think Maurice Chevalier when you read that) was reverse. So I backed it down his driveway over the sidewalk and onto the approach to the road where I turned the bike to ride off home. BAD IDEA! The slope was enough to start the old girl moving downhill, top side first and we both ended up on our sides. I did a graceful summersault and the bike did the "I'm not moving from here" act of a petulant 1 year old. Because of the slope, the prescribed back up to it and lift routine did not work ( and I have a pulled hamstring to prove it) so we were stuck.

Fortunately, a good neighbour stopped and the 3 of us were able to get the rubber side down. Oops, nearly dropped it the other way because of this goofy driveway but quickly moved it to a more level location in the middle of the road. Thankfully, no traffic.

To add to my embarrassment, in all the excitement, I had turned the kill switch to "Never Start" and had to sit in the middle of the road for about 5 years while until I finally figured it out. DOH!

Great bike - love it, love all the toys and all the good stuff about it; just not sure about how it strokes my ego.

Oh well, live and learn. One scuffed piece of rubber is a cheap price to pay for another life lesson - just thought that at my age, I had finished with schooling.

Good news is that the only thing that touched was the rubber wing and the driver footpeg so no harm done other than to egos and muscles.

So why post this - confession is good for the soul and lessons learned need to be shared. I have learned much from you so I offer the wisdom that sloped driveways, low speed turning maneuvers and LT's don't mix.

Ride on!

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Good story !!

Most of us have already had that experience, or similar.

Welcome to Droppers Anonymous !!

Just be thankful its over, and you won't worry about so much anymore, and you've learned a lesson that will help you to keep your pride intact in the future !!

You are not the first, and won't be the last !!

Enjoy the scoot, may it bring you miles of smiles !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 6:19 pm
fas

Cool droppin' the LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantvol16
so we were stuck.

Fortunately, a good neighbour stopped and the 3 of us were able to get the rubber side down. Oops, nearly dropped it the other way because of this goofy driveway but quickly moved it to a more level location in the middle of the road. Thankfully, no traffic.

To add to my embarrassment, in all the excitement, ....
Geoff
Welcome! Happens to most of us from time to time. I can now proudly say I dropped both my LT (three times) and my GT (once)! Drops happen!

Took my 86 year old Dad for a ride only after his new 80 year old girlfriend Helga just had to ride.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Ranks, thanks for the comments. It is a small gratification knowing that others have enjoyed my experience. As I sit here nursing my sore hamstring nad now sore shoulder that I had missed (and an excellent Cab from Chile, too!), I can't help but think that I could have done something to prevent this. Maybe if I had had the bike in 1st gear and had pulled away when I first felt Newton pulling at me ... Maybe I should have backed right into the street before turning ...

Who knows - it is what it is and I have added to my overflowing jar of things I have learned from my own incompetence!

On balance, a fairly painless lesson, hamstring ache notwithstanding.
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 7:01 pm

A friend of mine has a driveway that, when the front wheel is on the driveway, and the rear wheel is on the street, it just so happens that my legs seem to shrink about three inches !!

Nothing like backing down a driveway, a car is coming, you stop, put your feet down, to find nothing but air !!

When she goes, she is going, just let her drop. The wings do their job. If, as you have experienced, it falls on an incline, there will almost always be someone willing to help. If not, the walk up method is the way to go.

Mines been down 3 times. Once on the right, and twice on the left. Never had more than 1-2mph speed when dropped, and each time the front wheel was NOT STRAIGHT.

Always keep the front wheel straight, and with this big bertha of a bike, I always use both feet, and hold her with the front brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantvol16
Ranks, thanks for the comments. It is a small gratification knowing that others have enjoyed my experience. As I sit here nursing my sore hamstring nad now sore shoulder that I had missed (and an excellent Cab from Chile, too!), I can't help but think that I could have done something to prevent this. Maybe if I had had the bike in 1st gear and had pulled away when I first felt Newton pulling at me ... Maybe I should have backed right into the street before turning ...

Who knows - it is what it is and I have added to my overflowing jar of things I have learned from my own incompetence!

On balance, a fairly painless lesson, hamstring ache notwithstanding.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
A friend of mine has a driveway that, when the front wheel is on the driveway, and the rear wheel is on the street, it just so happens that my legs seem to shrink about three inches !!
Haha, I've been there too. That's a terrible feeling

I admit it - I'll share my story too.
I stopped on the side of the road to read my map one pleasant evening. I eased to a stop, stuck my feet out, and learned a bit too late my right foot found some gravel. My baby tipped and I just jumped out of the way... although I did manage to lay her down as soft as possible. I've come VERY close a couple times at stoplights and signs, and MANY times in parking lots, and I'm convinced it just happens. Picking it up by myself turned out to be possible, but even my 24 year old back, arms, and thighs were all sore

The best rider in the world, and even The Incredible Hulk, would have a hard time keeping the LT up when it starts tipping. The high center of gravity is my only critism. Otherwise, I completely love it, and fully expect for my engine guards to kiss the pavement again someday...
Hopefully, no one will be around to see
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:42 pm

OK, that's it!!!!!

I'm gonna' commission a jacket pin for those of us who have "autoparked" our LT's. I'm starting a fresh thread for ideas, they should run about $5 depending on how detailed we go, post to the thread your ideas and if you have an artistic leaning, your graphics.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:51 pm

sound good, Pete.... something to do with the failure of the "anti-gravity" system.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 5:03 am

gravity sux

Greetings.

That is a hysterically great idea. I'll take one of those "gravity sux" pins whenever they are ready.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU
[email protected]

ps. Take care of that hamstring Geoff. Just remember don't get yourself caught beneath that machine when it decides to lay down.

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 5:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I'm gonna' commission a jacket pin for those of us who have "autoparked" our LT's. I'm starting a fresh thread for ideas, they should run about $5 depending on how detailed we go, post to the thread your ideas and if you have an artistic leaning, your graphics.

Pete
Excellent idea.

Perhaps members could be awarded oak leaf clusters for multiple occurrences, and "with distinction" for special circumstances (like, not even being ON the bike when it fell over... twice).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:38 am

Well, now that the first drop is out of the way...motor on.
DA member myself

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in