Saying goodbye to Matilida - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeERideWNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2015, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Saying goodbye to Matilida

Say good by to Matilda. Traded the K1200LT today. Just couldn't get comfortable on her....leg cramps set in after about an hour of riding.

I replaced her with Glamorous Glennis....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r3t.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	93898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2015, 4:57 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Saying goodbye to Matilida

You didn't have the LT very long. It took me about 5000 miles before I was comfortable on the big girl. Enjoy the new ride.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Wow! You really took a turn for the worse.
But at least you are still riding.

I think I would have set my sights on a Valkyrie.
katnapinn likes this.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Are you saying this is more comfortable than the LT. Your idea of comfort and mine must be different. All of that being said I hope you enjoy your new ride and I will say that it is good looking. Wishing you the best and keep us informed.
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
Wow! You really took a turn for the worse. I think I would have set my sights on a Valkyrie.
CONGRATS on a new, different, and better bike for you ! Nice Triumph too. Some of us are not cut out for this beast of a Beemer. It is top heavy, high cost maintenance & unreliable; at least for me. Dont get me wrong - I love it at 85mph on freeway or flying thru some twisties. But my last two rides on country roads have almost left me stranded. Either another fuel related issue or something else. I even stripped her down this summer and did all the "if it ain't broke, fix it anyway" stuff !! I am very close to taking your advice and going back to a Valkyrie myself. The new ones are sweet, so if you want a '99 with 34k on it, look for it in the classifieds after I work out this current issue. I would not sell it with a known problem. But it's hard to keep a bike, that I'll never know if I'm gonna get home. Enjoy riding that Rocket !!!!
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 9th, 2015, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
CONGRATS on a new, different, and better bike for you ! Nice Triumph too. Some of us are not cut out for this beast of a Beemer. It is top heavy, high cost maintenance & unreliable; at least for me. Dont get me wrong - I love it at 85mph on freeway or flying thru some twisties. But my last two rides on country roads have almost left me stranded. Either another fuel related issue or something else. I even stripped her down this summer and did all the "if it ain't broke, fix it anyway" stuff !! I am very close to taking your advice and going back to a Valkyrie myself. The new ones are sweet, so if you want a '99 with 34k on it, look for it in the classifieds after I work out this current issue. I would not sell it with a known problem. But it's hard to keep a bike, that I'll never know if I'm gonna get home. Enjoy riding that Rocket !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Are you saying this is more comfortable than the LT. Your idea of comfort and mine must be different. All of that being said I hope you enjoy your new ride and I will say that it is good looking. Wishing you the best and keep us informed.
Thanks for all of your comments. High cost maintenance was kind of giving me the willies. Reading thread after thread of $2500+ breakdowns made me think about long-term realities.

In terms of comfort the lower height, center of gravity and forward position of the floorboards make a big difference to me. I'll miss the windscreen adjustment while riding the most but the R3T's is more than adequate.

To me, riding is something that has to come from somewhere deep inside. I want the experience of the ride to be joyful and natural. The K1200LT was a technical experience of being on a motorcycle. The R3T already feels more like a natural extension, more of a relationship.

Without wanting to start any religious wars, the R3T handles better than the LT. It's like riding a rail, silky smooth and supple. I've not had a chance to do any canyon carving as yet but on the highway it holds the line of the curves naturally without much rider input or correction. The torque and ease of acceleration simply put are out of the LT's league.

Last edited by forty_caliber; Nov 9th, 2015 at 11:12 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
Wow. Thats too bad. I myself love my LT and its never ever come close to stranding me. I've taken her on many a roadtrip with the wife and solo. Hope you find the issues,and or a bike you love.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 10th, 2015 at 4:18 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 10th, 2015, 2:16 pm

I couldn't get use to the locked in ergonomics of the K12LT coming from a R1150GSA. Sold it and went back to a GSA, now on a 2015 R1200RT.

You'd think the bike would fit a tall person but it doesn't

Scott
2015 K1600GT Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All gone:
R1200RT LC
R1200 GS ADV
K1200 LT
R1150 GS ADV
ST1300 (2)
R100 GS (2)
R1100 RS (2)
R100GS/PD
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 11th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Nice bike! I have a T-Bird that I just love! Barrels of torque in that 2.3L triple! Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in