2003 radio decisions. ATTN Nick Elliot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 11:56 am Thread Starter

2003 radio decisions. ATTN Nick Elliot

Hello to all. New owner and new member.
My name is Brian Shupe and I work for Bob's BMW in Maryland.
Just bought a project bike and the radio is flashing NO RADIO.

After researching as much as possible I have torn down the bike, extracted the radio, opened it up and found corrosion on the main board. I am sure it is shot.

So before I go down Nick Elliot's road for aftermarket install, does anyone think the main board is salvageable? or know a source for one? I found Becker's website with repairs at $400 but think I would rather upgrade. Also does anyone need the CD transport section of my radio?

General questions to Nick Elliot and/or any who have use the UNICO DUAL PLUS as their solution for maintaining handlebar controls.....

I think I found the document that lists what each manufacturer's radios are compatible and what functions the unit translates/assigns, but most seem to be euro radio models. The unit I am looking to use is the Pioneer MVH-X370BT. Anyone use this model? Any reason to think the default codes the UNICO DUAL PLUS uses wouldn't apply to this unit? I have to wait till monday to call pioneer.

also since the UNICO can take 10 buttons, I thought of using this

pretty expensive but definitely nice looking.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a bank of 5 momentary switches? possibly mounting on bar covers or on dash under left grip. opposite side of gas.

I don't need CD. AM/FM would be nice but really only need amp for ipod.
Anyone go that route and still keep handlebar controls?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	93762   Click image for larger version

Name:	mainboard.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	93770   Click image for larger version

Name:	7tIW-C-1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	93778  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Re: 2003 radio decisions. ATTN Nick Elliot

Hello Brian,

Just wanted to share that I just had my 2006 Becker unit repaired by a german shop : Elektronic Idee

I paid 160 including shipping back. The unit had a dead amp which usually consists of dead channels (only front right was still working on mine). It took about 2 weeks to get it back. It's perfectly working again.

Maybe you want to sent them an email.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Some 'No Radio' indications can be reset by disconnecting the battery for more than a few moments. IIRC some say 30 mins or more. I have not had that happen to me but others have.

Have you tried that yet?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

I did. Tried every fix I could find. The PCB is really really corroded. I think there must have been a water leak.
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 8:35 pm

The only problem I have had with mine is the back connections get crappy. The taper pins have a tendency to spread the female sleeve they mate to diving all kinds or problems. Mine were noisy speakers.

Corrosion is not good I think the 'no-radio' is some sort of communications issue from the head to the remote button panel. There have been a few riders that have put a new head on that fits into the same space. It was a marine radio IIRC. Was way more cost effective that repair and it had an AUX port. I considered doing that but went bluetooth instead and only use the radio on the LT to get GPS directions.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Another thought is to just leave the dead radio alone and get a nice bluetooth headset like the Sena SM10. You can listen to your music from an iPod, iPhone or similar device, hear a bluetooth enabled GPS or other device, answer your cell phone will riding, and talk to your passenger or other riders with compatible headsets without yelling. For the cost of the repair or replacement you can get a very nice pair of headsets. My experience is it was a much better expenditure of my money than trying to fix a stereo system that never really worked well at highway speeds and was always too loud when I came to a stop in traffic.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 8th, 2015, 8:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If there is water on the main board then there is water in the controller (right under the buttons, which is the source of the water). Alcohol can be used to remove the corrosion but it will return if you don't seal the buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller board.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	93858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Controller with back off.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	93866  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2015, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Bought a Pioneer MVH-X370BT bluetooth am/fm/usb/3.5 aux reciever.
It is only 3 inches deep.

I am going to run it trying to use my phone as the interface as my phone is mounted on my bars.

In future I will either do the resistor modifications and use controller buttons and handlebar buttons, or I will just use handlebar buttons and cut out the button and screen section of the dash controller and make some sort of storage box.

The new STREET nav from BMW is about 1/4" to wide to fit in the box. BUMMER.

will take pictures and report back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in