Swingarm Torque? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 7:22 am Thread Starter

Swingarm Torque?

Just want to clarify something back there. After re-assy, torqued everything per the torque schedule:

1. Pivot pins into swingarm @ 118 ft./lb. - check
2. Threaded ring (right) @ 147.5 - check
3. Threaded ring (left) @ 7.4 - check
4. Lock ring @ 118 - check

Problem, when tightening the lock ring properly, the left threaded ring also turns changing the torque reading. Am Did I do something wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 8:00 am

Cool You need

that special tool - a deep 30mm socket with a slot cut in the side so you can put a 12mm allen key through and use that to hold the threaded ring left. David HSealry has a nice picture of a socket he got CNC'd - I just used my trusty angle grinder ;-) It is also helpfull if you can grow another arm when attempting this

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
Just want to clarify something back there. After re-assy, torqued everything per the torque schedule:

1. Pivot pins into swingarm @ 118 ft./lb. - check
2. Threaded ring (right) @ 147.5 - check
3. Threaded ring (left) @ 7.4 - check
4. Lock ring @ 118 - check

Problem, when tightening the lock ring properly, the left threaded ring also turns changing the torque reading. Am Did I do something wrong here?
You have to hold the inner part with the 12 MM "Allen" wrench, through the hole in the side of the modified 30 MM socket, to insure it does not turn when tightening the locking ring. Very hard to do without help. I used the screw jack from a Toyota truck, put the allen wrench in place and ran the jack up to just put a little pressure on it, then tightened the lock ring.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Yep, that's what I feared. But it didn't dawn on me until too late. Noticed the footpeg vibe after getting it all back together and noticed the shifter nut was now up against the remus pipe. There never was more than about .030" clearance there, but now gone. Hmmm. So I puzzled over this and questioned the torque sequence. Took it apart to get at the threaded rings, loosened them up, retorqued the right side, then realized what probably happened to the 12mm one. Nothing looks damaged or any strange noises, but that part of the bike is now about .030" thinner. Oooops. Looks like I get to modify a 30mm socket tonight.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:53 am

Here is a picture of the one that I had machined. I wanted to remove as little material as possible but I actually need to open this up a little bit towards the bottom. I also cut down the hex key about 3/8".

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30mm socket.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	6650  

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:42 am Thread Starter

That is some nice machining. I can't get close to that at home. I'm going to have to bring in to work and have them put it on the mill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in