BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Why not lube LT's Throttle Cables?????

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  cfell 
#1 ·
I recently joined BMWLT.com and my only regret is that I wasn't aware of it long, long ago. I feel like the guy in the cel phone commercial having unlimited resources of people out there just waiting for me to have a question or problem. I do enjoy the FORUM!

And now for my question: I have yet to hear or read a logical explanation on why you shouldn't lube the throttle cables on the LT's. Having said that, I trust I will get an earful of responses. Also, which (cable or housing) is the defective part?

#2 ·
BMW cable lube

Modern BMW cables have a plastic (teflon) sheath in the cable housing. You can use lubricants that are compatable with this sheath, BUT the usual petroleum based lubes will soften the sheath and cause it to swell. This causes cable binding and earlier failure. Not what you had been hoping for, huh?

I had been rebuilding original cables on 1970s airheads and using good old oil to rejuvenate the cables with good results. When I did the same thing to a modern cable the out come was not so good. I speak from experience.

My suggestion, buy a new cable and don't bother lubing anything. These cables just keep getting better. I never heard of anyone putting on a new cable and regretting it.

#3 ·
What Charlie said. With an additional bit of info; Teflon spray will work for a while but wont last very long, maybe 6 months. Most riders with pre-05 models replace the throttle cables with the 05 version. My 02 broke the throttle cable and I replaced it. Best mod I've done yet. Cost about a buck-thirty five.($135) if you DIY.

#4 ·
Wallley said:
I recently joined BMWLT.com and my only regret is that I wasn't aware of it long, long ago. I feel like the guy in the cel phone commercial having unlimited resources of people out there just waiting for me to have a question or problem. I do enjoy the FORUM!

And now for my question: I have yet to hear or read a logical explanation on why you shouldn't lube the throttle cables on the LT's. Having said that, I trust I will get an earful of responses. Also, which (cable or housing) is the defective part?
Welcome! Charlie has explained the "why not" part of your question, so I'll tackle the "which part" part. If you have an earlier LT, the guide between the twist grip & the cable housing is curved plastic. The cables pull against the plastic & cut a grove in it that binds the cable. The new cables replace that curved plastic with straight plastic & put the curve in the cable housing. Doesn't do much for the strong return spring BMW uses, but it prevents the groving/binding & makes for a much smoother cable pull.

#6 ·
Teflon is practically impervious to any lubricants, and will not "swell" in contact with them.

However, I tried lubing my original cables when they got so tight I was wearing out the grips. I used Dupont Teflon lubricant, very expensive stuff, about $18 for a small 18 gram tube. Forget it!

The teflon liner is very slick when dry, and the cable will slide easily over the liner. Any "wet" lubricant will cause "shear" within the lube, and the non dry teflon lube actually made the problem worse. I think the original early cables were wearing through the thin liner and contacting the wire wrapping of the outer sheath.

About that time BMW came out with the first new design cables, I put them in, and rode about 80,000 miles with them and no further problems at all. Throttle would still "snap back" when released. They have since come out with an even newer design.

If you have a sticky, hard throttle, get the new design cables, you will not regret it.

#7 ·
05 cable kit

Do the 05 Cable replacement it is one of the best things I have done to my K1200LTC 02. The cables used to be really tight and would hurt my wrist after a few hours of riding. Not anymore with the new cables :D . I did it my self and it only cost about $100 and 6 to 8 hours to do if you are a DIY kinda Guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.