99 K1200 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 9:33 am Thread Starter

99 K1200 LT

Hi,

I am buying a 99 K1200LT with 54k on it. The bike looks pretty clean. They put new front fork seals in it and few other things. No evidence of oil leaks and it passes the NH State inspection which is pretty rigorous. I don't have the bike's history. After wallowing around in the forums, I have read a lot about the failure in the FD. Should I be worried about it failing in this bike? Is it best to change it out after xxxxx miles or if it ain't broke, don't fix it? From what I have read, as long as I keep up with maintenance this beast should last me awhile. I have been reviewing the excellent you tube vids on Face Book from the Illinois club. I am not bothered by the head light. Are there any suspension issues I should think about? My current ride is a 86 Yamaha Venture Royale, so I am used to running a big, top heavy bike. I'm a big lad at 6'2, 245 so that does not bother me. I can run a wrench but I am not joe mechanic. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 10:40 am

Re: 99 K1200 LT

I wouldn't worry bout the FD. Unless you see shavings or obvious metal shards when you drain the gear oil.Just change the lube in it and do your preventative maintenance. If it ain't broke. Well you know.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #3 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka82 View Post
Hi,

I am buying a 99 K1200LT with 54k on it. The bike looks pretty clean. They put new front fork seals in it and few other things. No evidence of oil leaks and it passes the NH State inspection which is pretty rigorous. I don't have the bike's history. After wallowing around in the forums, I have read a lot about the failure in the FD. Should I be worried about it failing in this bike? Is it best to change it out after xxxxx miles or if it ain't broke, don't fix it? From what I have read, as long as I keep up with maintenance this beast should last me awhile. I have been reviewing the excellent you tube vids on Face Book from the Illinois club. I am not bothered by the head light. Are there any suspension issues I should think about? My current ride is a 86 Yamaha Venture Royale, so I am used to running a big, top heavy bike. I'm a big lad at 6'2, 245 so that does not bother me. I can run a wrench but I am not joe mechanic. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Welcome to the forum Jim. The not quite Random number that i have seen floating around is around 4% of these final drives have failed prematurely. With no history, you have no idea if yours has failed previously and already been repaired or if it may be one of those that is yet to fail. There are several things that can fail or cause issues in the FD mainly the crown bearing and that will certainly ruin your day. If you can grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and rock it back and forth with no discernible play, they it probably isn't in the process of failing. The preload of the inner bearing is only 2 to 4 thousandths of an inch so not very much. It isn't a great test for the FD condition but without disassemble and inspection, there really isn't much else you can do.

First thing I would do is a full fluid change paying very close attention to the magnets on the FD and transmission. The job isn't too hard to do but the tranny drain plug can be tough unless you have the right tool. A cut off piece of allen wrench and a box wrench over it is what I use not removing the center stand and that will get oil on it as it drains. I just clean it off when done.

If you pull the FD plug and find metal flakes on it, then the bearing is in the process of failing. Normal oily gray very fine metal powder is OK but anything larger is cause for concern.

Kirk did an excellent job on his videos and they are a must watch for all LT owners especially how to lift it if she takes a nap.

Look through his videos and find the one that talks about the jack oil fairies. Never seen one but they must exist because the oil in the rear shock load adjuster seems to disappear with no trace. Do the test in backing it all the way out and then see how far you have to crank it in before you start getting any resistance. if you have to go beyond the bottom line, then go ahead and fill it back up as he does in the video. Makes a big difference in the bike.

Probably the biggest safety upgrade/repair is those 15 year old brake lines. If they are original, they are going to burst soon and may cause you severe injury depending on how and when they go. The defacto standard is Spiegler braided stainless lines anthough some have gone to the trouble of removing the old ones and taking them to a local hydraulic shop and having them remade.

Here is the link to the Spiegler site. Some dealers carry these kits and i have heard you can get colors for the same as the no color price but I don't have those links.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake...ne-kit-179.htm

The other things you may have read about are the clutch slave cylinder leaking into the clutch and the main clutch housing O-ring seal getting old and cracking leaking into the clutch housing and also contaminating the clutch. There are weep holes that can be drilled to allow early detection of these issues. Watch jzellers weep hole videos so you can try and look to see if those have been done indicating that some of those items may have already been serviced. The presence of those are no guarantee that anything was replaced. The upgrade of the clutch housing O-ring is a Viton over stock rubber compound for your reference if needed in the future. You can drill the clutch housing weep hole with no disassemble. If you get oil out, then you have an issue that needs to be looked at. Some disassemble required for the slave cylinder weep hole.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ing-video.html

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ole-photo.html

Welcome and i hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it.

Gordon
HillmoorPete likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 11:09 am

Don't worry about anything just take the Girl as it is.
Use it without any fear.
Make the service as it should be then more as 96 % of the riders have no trouble the enjoy it.

All the best and have some fun,

Manfred
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 11:41 am

Garage

Agree with James...

Just picked up a K as well with 60K. I tend to think a bad shim job would of caused a failure before 50K miles. We'll probably be fine for many more miles.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: 99 K1200 LT

Thanks Gents for the advice. I'll go through the videos with more context. I watched the vid of the FD being replaced. I have split bearings before but I think I would like to participate with someone before I ever did it myself. I get what the weep hole is for now.

Is there a comprehensive after market shop manual one can recommend?

Thanks,

Jim
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Thanks Gents for the advice. I'll go through the videos with more context. I watched the vid of the FD being replaced. I have split bearings before but I think I would like to participate with someone before I ever did it myself. I get what the weep hole is for now.

Thanks,

Jim
There is a Clymer manual that you should get. Very helpful. You can also find the no longer available for purchase BMW K1200LT shop manual PDF available online.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Hey Thanks. I will look into getting that manual.
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a repair manual.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 12:44 am

I have had my 99 LT all these years and I wouldn't trade it for anything! Just keep up with the maintenance!
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 6th, 2015, 4:29 am

One thing too keep in mind is 99er might have original starter relay prone too stuck if battery voltage decreases too much. After that starter runs until battery is totally empty . In worst case that can cause damage to harness. BMW has provided upgraded relay with low voltage protection. Other option is to upgrade the relay with some robust car relay. Do search for starter relay and you will find info of both options.

Born to be wild so why not

Last edited by C-A-D; Dec 6th, 2015 at 8:55 am.
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 5:05 pm

I bought my 99LT just this last summer, and with 50k on the clock and on tour in Germany, the FD failed. Prior to leaving home I'd changed all oils and found nothing nasty when doing the FD.
Still love the bike though, bought it for 2-up rides with the Mrs on the back seat, and was 2-up and fully loaded on the trip.
Spoke to another LT owner a few weeks later who'd had three of them, all reliable. However, his friend had suffered 3 FD bearing failures, but stated that bike was always ridden 2-up by a very large couple and in his opinion it was the extra weight that caused the bearings to fail.
With that in mind I think I'll be changing the bearing at 30-40k just to be on the safe side. Don't fancy paying a German BMW dealer to do the fix again !!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in