Stock windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Stock windshield

I am sure this has been asked before. The last several mornings there has been heavy moisture in the air and the center of my stock windshield fogs up to the point it is almost impossible to see through. Would Rainex help or is there another solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:17 pm

I've got a post going about this right now. The OEM windshield is possibly faulty, but chemical cleaners - anything besides water - ruin the laminate and cause permanent fogging. There is apparently nothing to do about it except replace the windshield. The dealer may pay for it, see this post: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=windshield
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=windshield

I'm looking into replacing it with a CeeBailey #2-2. They come highly recommended.
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
I am sure this has been asked before. The last several mornings there has been heavy moisture in the air and the center of my stock windshield fogs up to the point it is almost impossible to see through. Would Rainex help or is there another solution?

RainX is not made for plastic. Use some denatured alcohol. Once the fog goes away seal the windshield with a coat of good quality car wax. The fog is caused by moisture getting under the top coating. Only had one OEM shield do this and it solved the problem.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:50 pm

I have had three OEM shields: two tall and one euro and have cleaned them with Honda Cleaner repeatedly without any problem. The one shield that did have a small section of fogging was primarily due to having a small rock (or one hard bug) chip the surface. The moisture or fogging, about the size of a grapefruit, was centered right over the chip hole. Used it an additional six months (after alcohol treatment and wax) before I changed it. Have since used Cee Bailey and ZTechnic shields and still using Honda Cleaner, Cee Bailey Cleaner or ProtectAll with no problems. Not saying that BMW may not be experiencing shield problems but if your shield is out of warranty and you don't feel like investing in a new one right now the above treatment will work.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
I've got a post going about this right now. The OEM windshield is possibly faulty, but chemical cleaners - anything besides water - ruin the laminate and cause permanent fogging. There is apparently nothing to do about it except replace the windshield. The dealer may pay for it, see this post: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=windshield

I'm looking into replacing it with a CeeBailey #2-2. They come highly recommended.
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

My LT is still under warrenry so I may just call the dealer tomorrow. Sounds like BMW taking care of it is an iffy thing. I had the Cee BAiley on my Rt and really liked it. Thanks for the advice, this is a great place for helpful hints and advice
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:25 pm
Ted

I missed this thread earlier.

Even with just washing with soap and water (which is all I ever used), the '03 windshield will fog up & stay cloudy. If you are still under warranty, your dealer should cover it.

Had mine replaced under warranty in Oct '05, and so far it has remained crystal clear.

Good luck!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:12 am

I was lucky and my dlr replaced my 03 shield under warranty. Apparently not all dlrs will do this. THe replacement is the National Cycle shield and I emailed them about care of the shield. Here is the reply I got:

Thank you for the e-mail. Your e-mail was forwarded to me. My name is Greg and I'm Administrator for ZTechnik Sales. Yes, Honda Polish is good. I use this on my personal bike. No problems!! Just be aware that anything with ammonia will strip the protective coating right off. Ex: WindEx or RainEx. Any questions, contact me directly.

So take that for what you will. Mine fogs in the mornings due to atmospheric conmditions, but the new one clears up quicker than the OEM shield, which was likely also a NC shield.

Be very careful what you use on the sheild.

Rando
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:20 am
DGM

The WS on my '99 was so fogged up I thought I would have to replace it. I bought the bike used and the previous owner must have used rainex on it. I now clean the WS with my pressure washer using just water. It took the rainex off and left the shield clear as ever, and it doesn't fog up anymore. It does take awhile to get the rainex off because it is clear when it gets wet, I just wiped it dry every few minutes to see what was left.It take a couple of tries to get it all off, but it is worth it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in