Accessory charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 4th, 2015, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Accessory charger

I've searched the threads but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. What is the simplest way to install an accessory/phone charger on my 2009 LT? I know I can run a wire straight from the battery, but I want the wires to be hidden. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 7:01 am

Garage
Re: Accessory charger

Easiest thing I've seen is a BMW accessory plug USB adapter.

Regards,
Michael

2009 R1200RT
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 7:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmnich View Post
Easiest thing I've seen is a BMW accessory plug USB adapter.
+1. Not cheap, but clean and easy.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 9:13 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
+1. Not cheap, but clean and easy.
Yes, I was shocked at the price in the BMW place. $40+. But I've seen after-market ones on line for $20 or so. I'm lucky - I have an after-market radio that has a USB port.

If you have a cig lighter USB adapter, you can get a BMW acc cig lighter that might be cheaper, but it's getting kinda messy there.

Regards,
Michael

2009 R1200RT
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 3:39 pm

I wired a Battery Tender Female Power Port http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=1&term=614913
directly to my batt and then plugged in a two-port USB adapter into it (Fits under the seat). I then drilled a hole inside the oddment box on the left side and fished a couple of flat-cord USB cables from oddment box to the lighter socket, going under the tuperware. I sealed the entry hole with RTV. I ran two cords so I could run a second small item.
Works with my un-smart phone which has a smaller footprint than smart phones. My phone fits in the oddment box. Yours may not.
I spent $11 on the power port, $10 on the usb 2 port adapter (staples)and a few bucks on the flat-cord cables (staples)
You could also run USB cables to the trunk for a place for larger phones.
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Last edited by want2tour; Nov 5th, 2015 at 3:53 pm.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at using the bmw adapter, but if I am understanding it correctly. The only plug is on the left side, near where your knee would be. I would like to have it as hidden as possible. I was hoping someone had an easy option to put a plug in or near the dash without tearing all the plastic off. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash so I need a charger for it.
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 1:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jglass View Post
Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at using the bmw adapter, but if I am understanding it correctly. The only plug is on the left side, near where your knee would be. I would like to have it as hidden as possible. I was hoping someone had an easy option to put a plug in or near the dash without tearing all the plastic off. I have my iPhone mounted on the dash so I need a charger for it.
Sometimes life just makes you say "ok, ok, I'll remove a little plastic."
Munmi likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 1:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

My method of adding a USB outlet wasn't cheap, but I got a new GPS unit as a byproduct.... I replaced the original Nav III GPS with a Garmin 590LM, which has a USB outlet as part of the cradle wiring. The 590 sits on the original Nav III mount, and the USB outlet peeks out the side of the mount on top of the stingray.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 10th, 2015, 7:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

You might check out this link -- I went with the USB to bare wire option, works great.

https://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Dave Flockhart
2007 Blue/Silver BMW K1200LT
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 10th, 2015, 8:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

That left side outlet has a twin of sort on the right side. The wires, at least, are there and could be used for a USB socket. That would entail drilling a hole in the tupperware, but nothing radical.

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 11 Old Nov 10th, 2015, 9:12 pm
cws

Garage

An option you could look at is to wire to the map-light wire, instructions how to tap into it are here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...map-light.html
especially post #14.
I added a USB port that is tied under my BMR shelf, that powers a Go-Pro now, but the map-light wires used to run my GPS for years.

I dismantled a cheap cigarette lighter adapter to do it, but there's lots of cheap adapters on Ebay these days.

Can see the port in this pic under the shelf below the GoPro. I've tidied it up a lot since this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_GPS.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	93994  

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in