Servicing costs for LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

Servicing costs for LT

I'm a recent member on this forum. I found you whilst I was trawling the internet for information on the LT and liked what I saw.

What I would like to know is how often do LTs need servicing and how much do the services cost? Everyone seems rather shy about how much they might be spending, are they trying to hide something?

Derek Brown

R850R
Yamaha Tmax (soon to go to help fund an LT?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Brit
I'm a recent member on this forum. I found you whilst I was trawling the internet for information on the LT and liked what I saw.

What I would like to know is how often do LTs need servicing and how much do the services cost? Everyone seems rather shy about how much they might be spending, are they trying to hide something?

Derek Brown

R850R
Yamaha Tmax (soon to go to help fund an LT?)
Welcome! 1st svc is 600mi/1000km, then every 6000mi/10000km after that. Kinda pricey, but if youre good with a wrench, you can save some Pounds Sterling...

Have a Watneys for me, mate!

F
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:17 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Most of us here in the states do our own service.We try to get together with folks from our area who can help and we get it done. Not sure if you have anyone in your area in the UK but all you need to do is post that you would like to have a "Tech Session" and wait for the responses.
By The Way welcome to the madness we can a forum

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Dealership costs vary, but you can find out how much the service schedule (the 6K one Florian was talking about) by calling the dealers closest to you. The inspections (6k, 18k, 30k, etc) are not as expensive as the major tune ups (12k, 24k, 36k) - those run about $400-550 depending on what parts are required.

My grandpa's Softtail and my friend's Classic ran almost exactly the same for their tune-ups. I can't tell you about unexpected costs because everything for their bikes was covered under warranty. I haven't had anything malfunction on mine and there is no record of service showing it was ever in (it has 17k miles)
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 1:20 am

Cost varies significantly by area of the country, but in my area, the last few years, 6K=$200, and 12K=$600.
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 3:39 am

Dealership in Dundee quoted 250 for 12 month service

Derek,

my LT only did about 3,000 miles last year so it only needed the 12 month service, not the 6,000 or 12,000 mile one. The main BMW dealer in Dundee quoted about 250 for that service and an extra 120 or so to replace the brake pads at both ends.

As I was getting the bike serviced ready for it to take me and my bride-to-be on a tour of the West of Scotland for our honeymoon, I wanted to make sure it was 100% and therefore asked them to check out the stiff throttle too. It turned out that it needed a new throttle cable as well, so the final bill was 730 (Ouch!).

The honeymoon was fantastic, the LT was just brilliant and all seemed to have been perfect until we set off on the last day. The LT started making funny noises and within 10 miles was unridable with a diff failure. So, our honeymoon ended up with us going home in a van with a dead LT in the back. Another 700 later he (George, the LT) is back on the road again.

So, parts are expensive, labour is expensive and not everyone can do their own servicing. But (and it is a big 'but'), the LT is just a fantastic bike, so sell your children, rob a bank, or gamble succesfully; just buy an LT if you haven't already got one and enjoy the hell out of it!

MB

2004 BMW K1200LT Blue (Derek)
1999 BMW K1200LT Champagne (George, ret'd to the seaside)
1976 Honda CB400F Maroon (The Beauty)
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 4:55 am

Servicing costs

www.motorworks.co.uk will provide filters, plugs and washers for 45 plus post - buy your fluids locally form a motor factors. Brake pads are about 20 a pair. Dealer will charge you a minimum of 50 per hour labour so if you have to go to a dealer taking of the tupperware yourself could reduce the bill by 100.

I am planning to flush the brakes on my 01 (02 US) soon - busy for the next 2 weekends but after that I have space for 3 bikes if any one else is interested in coming along to watch, learn, assit, have work done whatever let me know.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 6:58 am

Wink How to save $$$ on service!

Most guys I know who own LTs find that they can save big bucks by learning to do some simple service items. You can order the parts ( in the US) from Chicago BMW and save 20%. So far I have 26,000 miles on my LT and have spent very little money on service. Here's some things you can do yourself with little or no problem:
1. Change your own fluids...it's really easy to change the oil, oil filter, tranny oil, and rear end oil.
2. Check your own Valves! It takes more time to remove the plastic than it does to check the valves. I checked mine at 12,000, at 24,000 and now I will check them at 24,000 intervals. Most LTs don't need adjustment till around 80-100,000 miles. I promise you checking the valves is "no big deal"! Find someone who is doing theirs and go watch..it's that easy.

Remember...As Anthony Hopkins said in the movie" The Edge"..." if one man can do it...another man can do it!" So save big bucks and do it yourself. You'll actually appreciate your LT more if you do. Good Luck! Ron
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 7:04 am

From what I have seen the LT is about as expensive as my Honda ST's. Parts and service can be expensive for both. My dealer handles BMW and most other makes except Harley. That may be why costs are so similar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in