windshield & XM, plus armrests & freeway pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

windshield & XM, plus armrests & freeway pegs

2nd thread I started, love the site and the help everyone offers. I'm amazed how much more *we* collectively know over the dealerships - several times when talking to the service dept, they have no idea what I'm talking about. hmmmm

-I need a new windshield. I don't want to open an opinionated argument (like the best rain tire for K12LT) - lets try this: if you have a replacement (non OEM) shield you really like, just mention it and where from and how much you got it for. Also, does your aftermarket shield fog as easily as the OEM? I prefer the tall one since most riding is on the expressway/coutry highways. Dealer says $300 - that's GOTTA BE too much for OEM equipment! The problem is the previous owner must've washed with chemicals and now it's foggy at night and in the rain, so I have to have it down 1/2 of my riding time unless I want to ride blind.

-I want to install XM - I'm a subsriber, but my car has sat in the garage 85% of the time since I bought my LT in Spring. The problem I foresee is where to put the magnetic antenna. Has anyone installed the car kit (XM unit cradle, fm modulator, and antenna) on the LT and if so, do you have recommendations?

-some misc stuff: who has freeway pegs and where did you get them from? how much? Dealer says $350 - I think that's too much. Also, passenger armrests? I've seen one for $350 - again, I'd rather find something slightly less expensive.
If anyone is willing to sell their pegs/armrests, let me know!

-I also need tires, but *apparently* the Metzlers sound to be the best "overall" tire, although my own experience in the rain makes me feel slightly uneasy.
-Does anyone use the I-Pass (tollway) on their bike? Illinois said you cant mount it to the bike, just hold it up in the air - does this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm

I use a C-Bailey #2 -4", love it, almost always look over it even at speed.
For XM, Garmin 376C, built in XM, unit and antenna mounted to a BMR shelf.
Have XL j-pegs, they are OK but I don't use them very often.
Been running on Metz and they have worked well for me.
Put my Sun-Pass in the front pouch of the tank bag, works good.
-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
I use a C-Bailey #2 -4", love it, almost always look over it even at speed.
For XM, Garmin 376C, built in XM, unit and antenna mounted to a BMR shelf.
Have XL j-pegs, they are OK but I don't use them very often.
Been running on Metz and they have worked well for me.
Put my Sun-Pass in the front pouch of the tank bag, works good.
-Chuck-
Holy awesomeness... great stuff! Might look into getting that shelf, probably not the j-pegs though. Thanks a bunch.
For the C-Bailey: I don't understand what they means by #1 and #2. I LOVE the tall windshield on my LT and would be upset if I bought the wrong one and got stuck with a short shield. It seems like #2 has a better wind flow and wings, but is it as tall as the OEM tall shield?

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Try this link to Cee Bailey web site for explanation re height etc

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200ltsel.html
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:03 pm

I have the new Z-Tecknik V-Stream windshield it's high and very clear. I have had it a month or two now. Overall I like it pretty well, but I believe it has more resistance and is noisier than my old one (stock cut down a couple inches by previous owner) and reduces my gas mileage. Cost ~$160 during group buy but higher now.

I have J-Pegs (standard) and like them for the times I need to use that stretch position, but primarily ride on normal pegs. Bought used from member on the site.

I have XM Skyfi2 mounted on Clutch resevoir as shown in pictures. Bought XM Roady Mount from Cycle Gadgets.

Good luck and feel free to ask further questions.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW pictures 009_renamed_22560.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	6638   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW pictures 008_renamed_26407.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	6639   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW pictures 011_renamed_25278.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	6640   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW pictures 014_renamed_31126.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	6641  

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I have the Cee Bailey #2 -2" w/wings. As mentioned previously, see their web site for what #1 v. #2 means, etc. Essentially, #1 is the same shape as stock; #2 as a different contour for different airflow. I paid about $275 for the windshield, direct from CB. (had to estimate the price, as I bought other stuff at the same time from them) I haven't had the stock windshield (17" on the '05) on the bike since I put the CB on, so I can't answer the fogging question for you.

I have both the XL Jpegs and Mick-O-Pegs and I like them both. Bought the Jpegs used from another LT owner; paid $275 for the for the Mick-O-Pegs, installed. The vendor was at STC last April and installed them right there on the spot.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Gps

If you are in the market for a GPS with XM I'd hold out and see what the new Garmin Zuma market price is, it's due for release in Oct.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning
If you are in the market for a GPS with XM I'd hold out and see what the new Garmin Zuma market price is, it's due for release in Oct.

Dave
Zumo looks awesome. I'll wait to hear the details, but the GPS and XM functions on the same unit would be great. I wonder how it plays on the radio (fm modulator or what). I won't rule out mounting my SkyFy2 on the handlebar.
-I'll probably skip the freeway pegs since I like the placement of the footpegs. Still looking for armrest advice.
-CeeBailey #2-2 sounds like it's the same height as the OEM tall windshield with better protection. I'm debating on the wings being worth it or not. I can always bundle up in winter - but I can't dress down below a t-shirt in the hot, humid summers.

Thanks a bunch guys - appreciate it as usual. Keep the advice coming those of you who have other input!
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:01 pm

my two cents

1. you can get j-pegs for 275 or less at a couple of the dealers listed on this site.

2. there are portable XM radios for under $100 available at best buy or circuit city (you mentioned I-Pass, so I assume you're in Illinois). You can aux-plug 'em or use headphones.

3. Don't wait on the Zumo, get a 2730...the zumo will NOT be coming with the $269 XM receiver antenna necessary for xm receiving that comes in the box with the 2720 or the 2730.

4. I rode an RT for a year on the Illinois tollways, had my I-Pass on the windscreen, used the 3m heavy-duty velcro-like strips they give you (you can call 1-800-IPASS for replacements), mounted it about six inches from the bottom of the windscreen. You'll find that if you go thru the "don't have to stop" lanes, it picks up 100% of the time, otherwise, you may once in a while have to pull it off and hold it in the air, with the proper side facing UP, bike in the middle of the lane, BEFORE you reach the toll booth (Illinois tollways suck). I also had success ziplock baggy-ing it and bungee-netting it to the topcase of my RT

Ride safe

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:05 pm

CeeBailey #2 with wings at -4", (5'9") look over it, and love it.

Highway Ottomans-like very much but will soon add MOPs Highway pegs.

B-Stones BT020 (bias ply) 3ard pair and will not change, they stick.

60 gig Ipod into the Voice II with Ice Link, put it on shuffle and let it rip for days, no problems.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:08 pm

I bought a CeeB for my old RT, It was 2" higher and with the flip on the top, I could leave the windshield down all the way and have less wind hitting me then when the stock on was up. I am definately going to get a CB for my LT, but I am going to wait until after this winter, snow in the Rockies already. I also have the jpegs. They are great especially for long distance riding. I am 6' and I can stretch out real well and not have cramps in my thighs.
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

I hate being a post-junkie (for lack of a cleaner term), but I was thinking about the #2-2. With the OEM tall w/s, I look over the top when it is down, and I look through it when it is up. I want it to be this way with my new w/s. Being 6'0", is the -2 too short to see through? I don't want the top of the w/s in my line of site (both when it's down and up)
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:27 pm

For Armrests I have Don Mudimans and the wife loved em. They also make a nice helmet holder by tilting them forward slightly and resting the helmet on them. Now if Don would just add a lock I would be all set (hint hint Don if you read this).

Price was good ($275) compared to the alternatives.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in