new BMW owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old Oct 29th, 2015, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

new BMW owner

hey everyone. Been riding for 40 plus years and have owned a number of bikes from metrics to a moto g, raced dirt bikes and built and road choppers in my day. Just purchased a 13 year old K 1200 LT, one of my bucket list bikes. also currently have a sporster. I am a member of the low 12 masonic motorcycle riding group in my area, hello to any brothers out there. I am looking forward to getting my LT on the road. already dropped it in the yard unloading it from the trailer, so one right of passage is taken care of LOL.. hope to interact with other owners and share the ins and outs of this machine.

rick
cealbrecht and GoneCoastal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old Oct 29th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Garage
Re: new BMW owner

Welcome. Do the voodoo so you can share with us where you are at. Surely folks in your area on here. Steve
newtlilly and rosmba like this.
post #3 of 64 Old Oct 29th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Ins and outs? Sounds more like ups and downs! But seriously, welcome!

post #4 of 64 Old Oct 30th, 2015, 12:48 am
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site - the longer you hang the more you will enjoy!!

Since you have experienced your first drop here is your reward . . . DA on the saddle bag stands for "Droppers Anonymous"

deputy5211 and Rocketsled like this.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 64 Old Oct 30th, 2015, 7:53 am

Welcome to the site rosmba. Make sure you watch all of Kirks videos if you haven't already. They have done a good job of summing up a lot of what being an LT owner is and requires.

Hopefully when you say you want to get her on the road, it isn't that she needs work before she is road worthy. Hopefully you also got her traveling papers so you know how she has been cared for. I didn't get anything with mine.

First big things would be flushing all fluids as a 13 year old will have the I-ABS system and not the ABS-II of my 14 year old. Kirks videos go over that.

Secondly would be those 13 year old brake lines. If they haven't been upgraded to stainless braided like Speiglers then out of safety, those should be done at your earliest convenience. I blew two before i did mine.

Anything else you need help with, this site is the place to go for any and all LT information. Post a picture of her along with adding some profile information so we know where you hail from and those near by can reach out.

Maint./ Repair Videos

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 64 Old Oct 30th, 2015, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo View Post
Welcome to the site - the longer you hang the more you will enjoy!!

Since you have experienced your first drop here is your reward . . . DA on the saddle bag stands for "Droppers Anonymous"

LOL.. my nick name with my Masonic bike group is locktite because my hopped up sporty bobber vibrates itself apart on a long ride so I have tools and locktite in the bags. After dropping the bmw within 5 minutes one of the guys suggested they change it to drops alot. LOL...

I am in central MD. Hagerstown. I am not from here but have lived here for the last 30 years.
post #7 of 64 Old Oct 30th, 2015, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Welcome to the site rosmba. Make sure you watch all of Kirks videos if you haven't already. They have done a good job of summing up a lot of what being an LT owner is and requires.

Hopefully when you say you want to get her on the road, it isn't that she needs work before she is road worthy. Hopefully you also got her traveling papers so you know how she has been cared for. I didn't get anything with mine.

First big things would be flushing all fluids as a 13 year old will have the I-ABS system and not the ABS-II of my 14 year old. Kirks videos go over that.

Secondly would be those 13 year old brake lines. If they haven't been upgraded to stainless braided like Speiglers then out of safety, those should be done at your earliest convenience. I blew two before i did mine.

Anything else you need help with, this site is the place to go for any and all LT information. Post a picture of her along with adding some profile information so we know where you hail from and those near by can reach out.

Maint./ Repair Videos
I did get some of the early papers but nothing from the owner I bought it from. I waited till after buying to corner him on what it has had, figuring he would have little reason not to level with me. I know no guarantee but hopefully. He claims it was just gone through with filters, clutch and service within the last 4 thousand miles. It has 31k on it. He bought it with 13k on it and has owned it for 5 years. Seems like a stand up guy. All that I know that it needs, or that I hope to do, is the front tire is about half worn, the rear much newer. I will have the front tire changed and I will ask the inspection dealer to change the oil, frankly because I am up to my eye balls in stuff to do, otherwise, I'd do it myself.
post #8 of 64 Old Oct 30th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmba View Post
I did get some of the early papers but nothing from the owner I bought it from. I waited till after buying to corner him on what it has had, figuring he would have little reason not to level with me. I know no guarantee but hopefully. He claims it was just gone through with filters, clutch and service within the last 4 thousand miles. It has 31k on it. He bought it with 13k on it and has owned it for 5 years. Seems like a stand up guy. All that I know that it needs, or that I hope to do, is the front tire is about half worn, the rear much newer. I will have the front tire changed and I will ask the inspection dealer to change the oil, frankly because I am up to my eye balls in stuff to do, otherwise, I'd do it myself.
After reading through the 3 or so threads you have posted on so far, all I can say for you to make sure of that you haven't mentioned is if the brake lines are original or if they have been replaces with stainless braid yet. That is a major safety issue but it sounds like the PO was pretty up on things so I wouldn't be surprised if they were already changed out. Good luck on getting her in service title and all so you can put some miles on her before it snows up there.

Gordon

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 64 Old Oct 31st, 2015, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

have not looked at the brakes lines, but I have to say, I am not feeling the love here in town so far. went to two bike shops that I have dealt with here abouts for years and neither wants to even consider changing the oil on this machine. A third said he would inspect it but if it needed anything he won't work on it... but he would do an oil change for 75 bucks. Geez... I can get the oil changed in my diesel truck for a hundred and that is two filters and more oil than you can imagine.
post #10 of 64 Old Oct 31st, 2015, 4:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't give up yet. If you're somewhat handy, you can change the oil yourself pretty easily. Watch the illinoisbmwriders.com maintenance videos and buy the oil change stuff (filter, o-rings, oil) and have at it... Brake lines are a little more complicated, but do-able. Again, watch the videos....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #11 of 64 Old Oct 31st, 2015, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Don't give up yet. If you're somewhat handy, you can change the oil yourself pretty easily. Watch the illinoisbmwriders.com maintenance videos and buy the oil change stuff (filter, o-rings, oil) and have at it... Brake lines are a little more complicated, but do-able. Again, watch the videos....
+1

Screw the shops. Take matters into your own hands. Repairs on the LT are not difficult...just tedious. Well worth the pain for the ride!

Robert
deputy5211 and rosmba like this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #12 of 64 Old Oct 31st, 2015, 7:28 pm

Welcome aboard and good luck
rosmba likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #13 of 64 Old Oct 31st, 2015, 7:34 pm

I love hagerstown. I camp in Gapland at Mapletree camp. Big on civil war history. And love the history of Sharpsburg. Nice area.
rosmba likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #14 of 64 Old Nov 1st, 2015, 1:46 am

Welcome to the group and the LT, Rick.
As these members have illustrated, you'll find loads of help from this forum.
+1 on the tips already mentioned. Especially the Clymer manual.

My 2 cents -- is that the best deal on Bosch oil filters, is from Beemer Boneyard. If ya buy multi-packs, you can get the before-shipping cost down to a little over $5 per filter depending on what size pack you buy. And it's not that hard to work on once you've resigned yourself to the bike's uniqueness.

May the Zen (and beer) be with you while you wrench.

Bob
rosmba likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #15 of 64 Old Nov 1st, 2015, 12:42 pm

+1 on the Boneyard filter deal. If you can find a fold up gym mat your bones will like you more after your done. Welcome.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #16 of 64 Old Nov 1st, 2015, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

thanks everyone. I will be doing a lot of the wrenching myself, I just wanted to get the oil changed and start riding. I have so much on my plate right now. I viewed the video on changing the oil... It is a little different than anything else I have worked on. Have to replace the air compressor on my truck this week before I can get to the BMW. I am looking forward to riding it... I'll keep ya all posted and if you are in the Hagerstown area, give me a shout.
post #17 of 64 Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 12:21 am

Quote:
thanks everyone. I will be doing a lot of the wrenching myself, I just wanted to get the oil changed and start riding. I have so much on my plate right now. I viewed the video on changing the oil... It is a little different than anything else I have worked on. Have to replace the air compressor on my truck this week before I can get to the BMW. I am looking forward to riding it... I'll keep ya all posted and if you are in the Hagerstown area, give me a shout.
When you get to doing it, just make sure that you check to make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter. I think the video mentions that. Sometimes the gasket sticks to the sealing surface up in the crank case so you have to reach up and pull it off before installing the new one. With 2 gaskets, it can leak, although it will all be contained inside the crank case so you won't see anything on the ground. Just affects proper oil pressure and lubrication.
rosmba likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #18 of 64 Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 11:34 am

It's not to hard to do most things on the LT yourself. It just takes alot time,labor intensive on some things. You can do it. Everyones here to help. Plus Kirks videos. It's really not bad. But if a dealer is needed. Bob's BMW in Laural MD is supposed to be ok. Don't know far it is from you.
RockyRoad and rosmba like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #19 of 64 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Bob's has first come first served service on Saturdays. I've meet guys there that had road 3 or 4 hours. The line starts forming before 6am sometimes. Get the MD inspection at a non BMW shop, they will be a lot easier on you because they don't know the machine. Check out BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington for all things BMW in Maryland and Virginia.
rosmba likes this.
post #20 of 64 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 8:04 pm

There is a well regarded independent BMW shop in Manassas, VA, about 80 mi from Hagerstown called Beemer Uber Alles. Consider joining the metropolitan DC/MD BMW group called BMWBMW, website is BMW Bikers of Metropolitan Washington. The club has extensive technical expertise in all things BMW. Welcome to the forum.
rosmba likes this.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #21 of 64 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

well, took it in for inspection today. I also asked them to mount a front tire. The one on it had a few thousand miles left on it, but the rear was new and I'd rather start with fresh rubber. They didn't have a tire for it of course. 3 days to get it at a cost of 175 bucks. They are going to inspect it and call if it needs anything. It was just PA inspected, but the guy told me PA inspection is a joke and MD inspection may find something it needs. Hope not... Anyway, again thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

I do have one more question. The bike seems tall, I am 5 9 and am on my tip toes when sitting on it. I see that the owner's manual says their is a ride adjustment (no idea what the current setting is) does that raise/lower the machine or just stiffen the shock? I think about 1 inch or so lower would do it. I had the same problem with a Harley and I put 2 inch lowering shocks on it and solved the problem.
post #22 of 64 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why aint we riding View Post
Welcome. Do the voodoo so you can share with us where you are at. Surely folks in your area on here. Steve
voodoo? how exactly?
post #23 of 64 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Quote:
I do have one more question. The bike seems tall, I am 5 9 and am on my tip toes when sitting on it. I see that the owner's manual says their is a ride adjustment (no idea what the current setting is) does that raise/lower the machine or just stiffen the shock? I think about 1 inch or so lower would do it. I had the same problem with a Harley and I put 2 inch lowering shocks on it and solved the problem.
There are 2 things you can check and you may already have done this. there is the seat adjustment which is a swing bar to raise and lower the seat about an inch. Make sure it isn't in the high position.

Second is the rear shock preload. This is a hydraulic piston that basically increases the overall length of the rear spring ( Piston extends and presses on the spring itself) and loosening that some might lower the bike a bit.

PS, if you don't know where the preload adjuster is, it is also under the seat. Big black knob thing with a hose on it running to the shock
rosmba likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Nov 6th, 2015 at 3:46 pm.
post #24 of 64 Old Nov 11th, 2015, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Hi guys. new question. finally got the lt on the road today. drove it about a mile or two and it doesn't seem to have 4 or 5 gear. the gear shift indicator works up to 3rd, then when I pull up the indicator clear and it does not shift into a higher gear. I hope this doesn't mean the trans is screwed, but in investigating this model I did not see any refrences to transmission issues other than final drive which has been rebuilt.

any ideas?
post #25 of 64 Old Nov 11th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Garage

take off the LH front foot plate remove all the shifter levers and check clean and repack the couplers, do not adjust any of them, while it is on the centre stand manually change the gears by lifting up the lever with your hand with the ign on, watch the indicator, you will need to rock the rear wheel to assist the gear selection, if you cant select all the gears from there manually then i"M afraid it will be gearbox problems. hopefully it will be just the couplers needing lube, this is a problem on all LT's and suggested that they are removed and repacked at least on a major service
rosmba likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #26 of 64 Old Nov 11th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Usually if you cannot shift through all the gears the shift lever is not positioned correctly. There can be a number of reasons but usually the balls used on the linkage are starting to back out and it is changing the throw. If it is very dry will cause the ball to snap because all the torque is on the threads. If the ball is loose a little blue locktite should keep it in. New balls come with locktite already smeared on them.

Checking and lubing the linkage should be done during a yearly service. Some lithium grease will allow the shift to preform easy and you should not miss shifts. If you miss shifts consistently and use a heavy foot on the shifter something is wrong. The linkage is a little tricky to take apart but once you master getting the circle clip/pin out is take only a few minutes once the header has cooled.

If you search here you will see lots of references to the procedure.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #27 of 64 Old Nov 14th, 2015, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the input guys. When it rains it pours. My daily driver truck broke down and my septic system needed to be pumped out. So I have not had time to work with/on the BMW. luckily for me I still have my Harley to ride until I get to it.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #28 of 64 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 12:31 am

Garage

Sounds like you are really in the shit then
Mark65 and rosmba like this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #29 of 64 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 8:43 am

Welcome rosmba.
post #30 of 64 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Sounds like you are really in the shit then
thousand gallons of it...
Mark65 likes this.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #31 of 64 Old Nov 15th, 2015, 11:32 pm

Rick, when you get the LH foot plate off, check the bellcrank bolt. If that has become loose, it will not properly transfer the motion through the shift linkage. Mine was very loose and it almost would not shift at all one day when I was 20 or so miles from home. Thought i had a bad tranny issue till I found that. Tightened that up and did lube service on all the ball and sockets and it shifts fine now.
rosmba likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #32 of 64 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

OK, update guys. Bike had to sit for nearly 2 weeks. On the side stand. This oil smoke thing after sitting on the side stand for awhile is scary.. Thought it was toast there for 5 minutes. Then once I confirmed this is one of those weird quirks of this machine and letting it clear out. I took it for a 10 plus mile ride, 5 miles out on old 40, back on interstate 70 at high way speeds. All 5 gears worked well. It is fussier than any other bike I have ridden but it does shift through 5 gears. It seems to be very sensitive to road imperfections... It often feels like it is being smacked on the undercarriage when you hit any little bump or road joint. I also got a chance to run at traffic speed and was simply keeping up with traffic when I looked down and saw that I was doing 80. This thing is so smooth and behind this big windshield I had no idea how fast I was going. So much different at speed than a Harley. I checked the seat position as someone suggested, it was in the lowest position, but the rear shock was in the highest setting. I ran that down and it did seem to lower the rear a little. I can get one foot flat on the ground and the other close. I did enjoy it at speed but it is so quiet. I am a loud pipes save lives believer. I know this is blasphemy, but has anyone ever put louder exhaust on one of these?

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD

Last edited by rosmba; Nov 21st, 2015 at 5:00 pm.
post #33 of 64 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 10:33 pm

Garage

The bike likes to run! Speedo can be off, so 80 mph mark on my K is actually closer to 75 mph. I topped off the rear shock preload adjuster with oil and changed the setting, seemed to make the ride smoother.
rosmba likes this.
post #34 of 64 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 10:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am a loud pipes save lives believer. I know this is blasphemy, but has anyone ever put louder exhaust on one of these?
Not me - I like my hearing and am irritated with loud bikes and try to make a point of riding in front of them. I am more of a believer of being seen (lights, hi-viz, and AGATT) than being heard (aka annoying). South Park has a very entertaining episode on loud bikes....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #35 of 64 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

I understand your position JNW but I have seen and been part of situations where if they had not heard the "loud" bike they would never have seen it. I wouldn't want it as loud as my Harley bobber, but some bit of rumble would be nice. But then my other special interest vehicle is a big block chevelle.
PindyJoe likes this.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD

Last edited by rosmba; Nov 21st, 2015 at 11:07 pm. Reason: typo
post #36 of 64 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

here is the bobber. nice bike but not a long distance machine, unless its a sprint race to the pub in the next town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	94377  

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #37 of 64 Old Nov 21st, 2015, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merical View Post
The bike likes to run! Speedo can be off, so 80 mph mark on my K is actually closer to 75 mph. I topped off the rear shock preload adjuster with oil and changed the setting, seemed to make the ride smoother.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think the bike is in good condition with some minor things, it is just stepping up from a Moto Guz crotch rocket 8 years ago though a Harley sporty with a lot of engine mods to this luxury cruiser is quite a change. I will look at the oil level on the preload.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #38 of 64 Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am

Welcome to the board. The LT is a great ride you won't get on a cruiser. I have both and the other has loud pipes but the LT is a different machine. I depend on my senses to keep me safe, not my pipes. Doing your own maintenance makes the bike your own and you know it's done right. They can be challenging for a shorter rider but it sounds like you can handle it. Lots of good info and help here.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #39 of 64 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

just thought I would check in with you guys. The weather has been horrible and I will not take my lady friend out on the LT until I get used to it. I am still struggling with its top heavy tendency and its weight, but I have been riding it a little. I do love it on the road at speed. I think the rear shock needs some work as every road bump is transmitted into the seat of my pants. Also I have done what I can to lower it, but with a 29 inch inseam I tend to be on the balls of my feet at stop. One of the reasons I have yet to take my lady out. I lowered the seat to its down position and ran the preload down to low but it didn't do much. One my Harley I put 2 inch lower shocks and got it perfect one or 2 up with never a bottoming out. I have a time getting it up on the center stand where I have to park it as currently the only covered parking spot I have is gravel and not necessarily flat and level. Tried the side stand which is my preference but oh my does the pig smoke for 5 minutes after that. And after 2 times I am adding oil. stop and go traffic is avoided at all costs at this point. LOL.. I keep hoping I'll get used to it as I love the highway manners of the machine. with my garage filled at this point with project muscle cars, I can not get it in to start wrenching and no one nearby wants to even tackle a oil change. Praying for a mild spring... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.
post #40 of 64 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Do you slide your body forward some when you come to a stop so your feet can reach better? We have about the same inseam. I can flatfoot my boots but I can't stay in the same seated position like I did on my other bike (a very low c50). I have to kind of stand up while straddling the front of the seat if I want to flatfoot. I had a full size passenger on my bike recently and had to make a u-turn... we made it fine. Once at 5mph or more, the bike seems fine and quite mobile, even with my friend on back. I am getting used to the adjustments needed for slow speed maneuvering. This bike seems to respond better to finesse of movement rather than outright muscling the bike around. (Although, I did save it yesterday when I changed my gaze at the last second.) You gotta be looking where you want to go and don't look at the ground as you come to a stop and by all means don't look at the sexy lady next to you just as you stop or you will be asking her to help you pick the bike up.

Good News! Sounds like some more serious time in the seat and you will be fine. I am sure your +1 will love this bike.
post #41 of 64 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Quote:
just thought I would check in with you guys. The weather has been horrible and I will not take my lady friend out on the LT until I get used to it. I am still struggling with its top heavy tendency and its weight, but I have been riding it a little. I do love it on the road at speed. I think the rear shock needs some work as every road bump is transmitted into the seat of my pants. Also I have done what I can to lower it, but with a 29 inch inseam I tend to be on the balls of my feet at stop. One of the reasons I have yet to take my lady out. I lowered the seat to its down position and ran the preload down to low but it didn't do much. One my Harley I put 2 inch lower shocks and got it perfect one or 2 up with never a bottoming out. I have a time getting it up on the center stand where I have to park it as currently the only covered parking spot I have is gravel and not necessarily flat and level. Tried the side stand which is my preference but oh my does the pig smoke for 5 minutes after that. And after 2 times I am adding oil. stop and go traffic is avoided at all costs at this point. LOL.. I keep hoping I'll get used to it as I love the highway manners of the machine. with my garage filled at this point with project muscle cars, I can not get it in to start wrenching and no one nearby wants to even tackle a oil change. Praying for a mild spring... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.
For dealing with the challenging inseam length, go checkout some logging boots. Mine are Carhartt and with them I add 2+ inches to my height. Super comfy (at least to me). Some riders have also recommended the same type of Redwing boot. Same result; a boost in height. The ground will magically be 2" closer.
Bob
rosmba likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
post #42 of 64 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

My last bike was a cruiser with Vance & Hines Straight Shot Pipes. It was LOUD. I think you would find the sound of a BMW to be awful if you tried to change the exhaust though. Remember that the "Harley Sound" you're used to comes mostly from the V-Twin engine. A boxer just isn't going to give you that same rumble, no matter what you do to it.

Stick with the bike and I think you'll fall in love, even with quiet pipes. Just stop comparing it to a cruiser or crotch rocket, it's a different animal all together.
guitarjim likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #43 of 64 Old Dec 4th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Of course this is a K1200LT and not a boxer.
Mark65 likes this.
post #44 of 64 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 12:09 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
Of course this is a K1200LT and not a boxer.
Oops. Sorry. Still, and is the same way. V-Twins have a distinct sound that no other engine will match.

2000 R1100RT
post #45 of 64 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 1:00 am

But not a twin. At all. These are four bangers....

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #46 of 64 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
For dealing with the challenging inseam length, go checkout some logging boots. Mine are Carhartt and with them I add 2+ inches to my height. Super comfy (at least to me). Some riders have also recommended the same type of Redwing boot. Same result; a boost in height. The ground will magically be 2" closer.
Bob
Which model of Carhartt did you get? Did you need to change the position of the shifter to allow for the thicker toe box?

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #47 of 64 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadoc View Post
Which model of Carhartt did you get? Did you need to change the position of the shifter to allow for the thicker toe box?
Carhartt stock#3933

I didn't have any particular problem with the shifter position, though the toe box is bigger than any other riding boots I've used. Actually it wasn't an issue for me with a size 10.5
If you wear a 12 or larger, i guess the toe box could maybe be a little larger.

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
post #48 of 64 Old Dec 8th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Bob
That be me with the Red Wing Logging Boots. I think the model is Irish Setter. They measure your foot and order in the exact size and width - took about 3 weeks to come in. I've had them for about 3 years now - all day comfortable once broken in. I had the same challenge flat-footing at stops and that is unnerving. Good boots made all the difference in the world at stops. The aggressive tread design of the soles/heels also helps sure-footedness. Also, the hard sole made it a lot easier to put all my weight into getting the fat girl up on the center stand - other lesser shoes hurt the bottom of my foot lifting it onto the stand. I had no issue up-shifting either - I just catch the front edge of the sole under the lever.
rosmba likes this.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)

Last edited by Jim_McG; Dec 8th, 2015 at 5:07 pm.
post #49 of 64 Old Dec 10th, 2015, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG View Post
That be me with the Red Wing Logging Boots. I think the model is Irish Setter. They measure your foot and order in the exact size and width - took about 3 weeks to come in. I've had them for about 3 years now - all day comfortable once broken in. I had the same challenge flat-footing at stops and that is unnerving. Good boots made all the difference in the world at stops. The aggressive tread design of the soles/heels also helps sure-footedness. Also, the hard sole made it a lot easier to put all my weight into getting the fat girl up on the center stand - other lesser shoes hurt the bottom of my foot lifting it onto the stand. I had no issue up-shifting either - I just catch the front edge of the sole under the lever.

did you put the lower peg converters on or keep it stock? I am thinking that after the first of the year I will get some think soled boots and try that. just wondering about shifting mostly

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #50 of 64 Old Dec 11th, 2015, 11:13 am

Quote:
did you put the lower peg converters on or keep it stock? I am thinking that after the first of the year I will get some think soled boots and try that. just wondering about shifting mostly
No shifter or foot peg adjustments were needed. The shifter made a bit of an indentation on the toe leather - see pics. That's after 3 years of use. They should last many more - I'm happy with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	878.1 KB
ID:	94922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	94930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	94938  
sailor and rosmba like this.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in