K1200LT brown wire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT brown wire

I have read the posts regarding cutting the 'brown wire' under the seat the reset the MAP and thereby improve hesitation issues at temperatures above 80 degF.
I ride a 2002 K1200LT (manufacture date 11/01).
But when I looked, I found TWO (2) small brown wires, not including the larger negative battery wire.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2918.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	92737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2015, 8:04 am

Re: K1200LT brown wire

I believe the mapping was changed during model year 2001. Again, I am pretty sure it only affected model years 1999 and 2000. The attached explains it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200tech_info.pdf (557.2 KB, 310 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2015, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I believe the mapping was changed during model year 2001. Again, I am pretty sure it only affected model years 1999 and 2000. The attached explains it.
Actually I had the issue with my 03 as well as with the 99. I cut the brown wire on the 03, and removed the little yellow plug under the top case on the 99.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2015, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I am pretty sure it only affected model years 1999 and 2000. The attached explains it.
Mike, great information in the July 2001 service bulletin you posted.

How does someone find the month their LT was produced?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2015, 11:31 pm

I have a 2001 and I just went and looked and i have no visible brown wires. There was another thread on this awhile ago where you either cut the brown wire or pulled the air temp sensor plug on the air box but not both. If I am remembering right, what you did depended on the year of the bike. Going to have to go find that one also and read up as I don't remember which was which. The bulletin doesn't mention the temp sensor so possibly that was a non documented ( after market engineering) fix for those without the modified secondary motronic map to help with the issue. I do recall unplugging that sensor and it caused a check light.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2015, 1:19 am

In 99'er disconnecting the air temp plug (in front of the airbox) takes care of the issue without any noticeable side affects.

Born to be wild so why not

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2015, 7:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Mike, great information in the July 2001 service bulletin you posted.

How does someone find the month their LT was produced?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob,
You can find the production YEAR-MONTH using both of these methods:
1) look under seat(s) for a metal VIN plate that has this info (see attached photo)

2) type last 7 digits of your VIN into several web site service available for BMW - the output info will give this date.
The most simple site is this one here: BMW VIN Decoder - By Mitsuhiko Kanekatsu
Some other web site will also give all options installed at factory including some specific to USA (like the charcoal canister system).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200RS_VIN_plate_1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	92777  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2015, 8:19 am

Sailor, I utilized an online site and determined my LT was produced in "2000-04-06". I assume that is June 4 2000 versus April 4 2000. In any case, it was produce before July 2000 which means it is using the singe program per the service bulletin:

"Prior to July 2000 Production: K 1200 LT models produced before 07/00 were factory equipped with a Motronic control unit utilizing a single software program. This single program is identical to the “primary” program in the later model Motronic control unit. Motorcycles built prior to July 00 will require the newer dual program Motronic control unit to take advantage of the secondary program."

I haven't experienced the hesitation some individuals have reported, and the LT has seen two Florida Summer's under my ownership. Perhaps I'm fortunate or the previous owner had the ECU upgraded to the dual program.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2015, 8:35 am

Quote:
Sailor, I utilized an online site and determined my LT was produced in "2000-04-06". I assume that is June 4 2000 versus April 4 2000. In any case, it was produce before July 2000 which means it is using the singe program per the service bulletin:

"Prior to July 2000 Production: K 1200 LT models produced before 07/00 were factory equipped with a Motronic control unit utilizing a single software program. This single program is identical to the “primary” program in the later model Motronic control unit. Motorcycles built prior to July 00 will require the newer dual program Motronic control unit to take advantage of the secondary program."

I haven't experienced the hesitation some individuals have reported, and the LT has seen two Florida Summer's under my ownership. Perhaps I'm fortunate or the previous owner had the ECU upgraded to the dual program.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Use your GS911 and run the AUTOSCAN option from the 1st menu level (before entering the bike specific menu on left). This AUTOSCAN will output some data containing the Motronic ECU part number (see circle in 2nd attached photo).

The attached photo example was taken on a K1200RS, but for your generation of K1200LT, the line "Part No:" should end either with "478" or "194" (older version) or "048" (newer version) as explained in earlier Service-Bulletin on "Brown wire".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GS911_AutoScan_HOWTO.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	92809   Click image for larger version

Name:	GS911 AutoScan Report (Motronic CPU 477).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	92817  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 28th, 2015, 9:05 pm

Sailor, I have the older ECU part number. I'm fortunate I have not experienced the delayed throttle response that other LT owners have reported.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Motronic Autoscan.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	92873   Click image for larger version

Name:	ECU Identification.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	92881  
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2015, 8:30 am

Quote:
Sailor, I have the older ECU part number. I'm fortunate I have not experienced the delayed throttle response that other LT owners have reported.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob,
Thanks for the update status on this.

Based on your previous post where you gave the production MONTH-YEAR, I also had assumed you would have the old ECU number. If you or previous owner had the upgrade done based on Service-Bulletin, your Yellow Cat-Code-plug under top-case would have been removed at same time.

A mentioned in Service-Bulletin, the correct physical adjustment of ignition timing (Hall-effect-sensor) is important to reduce the effect done by Motronic in warm air condition (retard the ignition timing). Also mentioned at end-of-page 1: "before activating the secondary program Program, confirm that the static ignition
timing is accurately adjusted. If not, activation may not be necessary.".

Based on all above, I would suspect that a well tuned engine having a correct static ignition setting would have less chance to see this problem condition EVEN with the old ECU like yours. Otherwise, I could not see any random pattern as to why some like you would have no issue. Each engine is a bit different because of factory tolerances in many parts and because of wear, state of tune...

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in