Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Has been about 30 years since I last owned a bike (was a Honda person from age 15 to 21ish. Purchased a 2002 KT1200LTC with 53K miles in "as is condition" Two weekends and hours watching Kurt's videos and reading this forum---first weekend---oil sight glass replaced (twice as shattered the first one by NOT sticking with the reverse end of a socket as directed; oil/air/fuel filter; oil/transmission fluid (lots of crud on the drain plug)/rear drive fluid; topped off the brake fluid; put Tupperware back on and went for test ride; pressed on rear brake and down it went and no return; stopped in drive way and brake fluid everywhere; pulled the rear brake panel and line had burst; ordered the Spieglers (an update to the info on Kurt's video---they now come with all new 14MM headed bangles in addition to the lines/crush washers; six total days from order to receipt; this weekend-replaced all the brake lines and bled/flushed the system; drilled out and reriveted the rear trunk handle with an unbroken used one; Also changed the headlight bulb with HID bulb; put 'r back together and my inaugural 40 mile ride completed; My question for you (all as a 1981 CB900 custom)---If riding at say 50mph in fourth or fifth gear and gun the throttle-bike acts like I am fiddling with the clutch ; normal shifting at the appropriate rpm renders expected results; Did I buy a bike with failing clutch/transmission?

On the most positive note -no flashing red lights on the dash after the brake line/bleed which is super confidence builder and that was 100% accomplished to multiple viewings of Kurt's doing the same on a 2004; did not see anything different on my 2002;

Only weather info is audible on the radio; right side lifting bracket busted (and missing) on the windshield.
Thank you in advance for any knowledge on the "slipping" if that is what it is....
Ron in Woodbridge, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilchristron View Post
Has been about 30 years since I last owned a bike (was a Honda person from age 15 to 21ish. Purchased a 2002 KT1200LTC with 53K miles in "as is condition" Two weekends and hours watching Kurt's videos and reading this forum---first weekend---oil sight glass replaced (twice as shattered the first one by NOT sticking with the reverse end of a socket as directed; oil/air/fuel filter; oil/transmission fluid (lots of crud on the drain plug)/rear drive fluid; topped off the brake fluid; put Tupperware back on and went for test ride; pressed on rear brake and down it went and no return; stopped in drive way and brake fluid everywhere; pulled the rear brake panel and line had burst; ordered the Spieglers (an update to the info on Kurt's video---they now come with all new 14MM headed bangles in addition to the lines/crush washers; six total days from order to receipt; this weekend-replaced all the brake lines and bled/flushed the system; drilled out and reriveted the rear trunk handle with an unbroken used one; Also changed the headlight bulb with HID bulb; put 'r back together and my inaugural 40 mile ride completed; My question for you (all as a 1981 CB900 custom)---If riding at say 50mph in fourth or fifth gear and gun the throttle-bike acts like I am fiddling with the clutch ; normal shifting at the appropriate rpm renders expected results; Did I buy a bike with failing clutch/transmission?

On the most positive note -no flashing red lights on the dash after the brake line/bleed which is super confidence builder and that was 100% accomplished to multiple viewings of Kurt's doing the same on a 2004; did not see anything different on my 2002;

Only weather info is audible on the radio; right side lifting bracket busted (and missing) on the windshield.
Thank you in advance for any knowledge on the "slipping" if that is what it is....
Ron in Woodbridge, VA

Ron, Welcome to the forum. I used to live just up route 123 from you in Burk so I know the area well.

Sounds like this bike has many of the classic issues of an LT. Mine has many of them also. First thing I would do is drill the clutch housing weep hole and see if any oil comes out. If so, then your clutch is contaminated and will need to be replaced. If not, then you may have a worn out clutch and it will need to be replaced.

If you have watched the videos, contamination can come from 2 places, either the clutch slave cylinder is leaking forcing brake fluid into the clutch or the rear main seal and or the o-ring have failed allowing engine lube into the clutch cavity. If you find contamination, best to get as muchy of the potential leaks handles while you have it apart so you don't have to go back in. There are some special tools to position seals properly especially the transmission output shaft seal. Diagrams are available on this site if you have the capability to make them otherwise, possibly borrow them from another member.

The crud on the drain magnets isn't of that much concern unless you have flakes ( especially on the final drive) and not just oily metal powder. Check the FD for play by grabbing the wheel top and bottom and seeing if it rocks any. This would indicate possible excess wear on the crown bearing and I am sure you have read about that by now.

Sounds like you have most of the normal maintenance items already done though so figuring out the clutch is next. This site has all the experience and knowledge for you to take on anything you are comfortable with doing yourself so just ask and someone will likely step up and assist. You may even find someone fairly local to assist you.

Don't be afraid to ask Ron. They are wonderful bikes even if they have a few issues that crop up.

Gordon

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:06 pm

Thumbs up Re: Newbie

Welcome. As you may already know, this site is the greatest for help with an LT.

The LT loves a little TLC.

Vern

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 26th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. I suspect you have a contaminated clutch from either brake fluid or rear seal leak as bmwcool1200 explained because I woukld not think that the cluctch got worn after only 53k.
I too have a 99LT with 54k miles on it. Still ride like brand new

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 27th, 2015, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the words; the final drive plug was slightly "mucky" looking; the transmission plug--no metal just coated with "mucky" and wiped clean with paper towel; will do the wheel check Thursday; I take it I may indeed have a "clutch" issue from your observations; geesh--the "weep hole" drilling has not one, not two, but three videos. Daunting; already bad enough whereas I am up to about 10 T25 torx screws left over after assembly;

Ron
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 27th, 2015, 9:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The proper test for a slipping clutch is get up to highway speed in 5th (4,000 - 4,500 RPM) and hammer the throttle. If the RPMs shoot up with not a lot of speed increase. Try it again, if it does it the second time you are ready for a replacement. If it only does once and won't go again right away it is just worn near the end of life and you can ride it for several more thousand miles.

You should never be in 5th below freeway driving speed. This girl likes the higher RPMs. First gear will get you to 62 MPH just before you hit the rev limiter

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in