First farkle? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

First farkle?

I'm actually not sure this qualifies as a farkle, but we bought a GoPro4 last night to document our upcoming adventures. I can see a few promising looking places to mount it on Stella, but I thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the board before I commit to a mounting point.

I'd really love to see vids shot from various points, and advice on the pros and cons of various mounting locations. Hopefully I'm not asking for too much....

TIA,

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 9:03 pm

Re: First farkle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
I'm actually not sure this qualifies as a farkle, but we bought a GoPro4 last night to document our upcoming adventures. I can see a few promising looking places to mount it on Stella, but I thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the board before I commit to a mounting point.

I'd really love to see vids shot from various points, and advice on the pros and cons of various mounting locations. Hopefully I'm not asking for too much....

TIA,

Mark
Mark, I got a GoPro clone, same size and shape and yes, it does count as a farkle. Anything that was not stock qualifies. I currently have mine mounted in the center of the front faring just under the windscreen. I have a tether that I run under the wind screen and tie it to the odometer reset in case it should fall off. Pros, not looking through the windscreen, clearer view of what is ahead. Cons, feeling of flying when viewing as there is no reference of the bike in the frame. Some mount them on their helmets and I just saw one mounted on the back of the saddle bag pointing backwards. Provides an interesting aspect. Here is one of my most recent clips with a surprise ending but you can get the idea of that front faring placement.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Well, I've been told (by you, I believe) that she does get sleepy...

Thanks for the vid, that was actually the first location I thought of, the others being the flat surfaces above the rub bars. I worry what might happen if she takes a nap with the camera in that location, but it looks like it should be fine, short of a really catastrophic fall. I also also like that there would be some bike perspective, but the jet fighter perspective is pretty awesome.

Decisions, decisions....

Mark

Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Well, I've been told (by you, I believe) that she does get sleepy...

Thanks for the vid, that was actually the first location I thought of, the others being the flat surfaces above the rub bars. I worry what might happen if she takes a nap with the camera in that location, but it looks like it should be fine, short of a really catastrophic fall. I also also like that there would be some bike perspective, but the jet fighter perspective is pretty awesome.

Decisions, decisions....

Mark
I can only hope that is the last time she takes a nap especially dumping me off in the middle of a highway If you hang it up front, just make sure you have some sort of tether on it unless you screw it to the faring. Mine is using the peal and stick adapters. Seems pretty solid.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:40 pm
cws

Garage

Have used the same position as bmwcoolk1200 in the past, trouble is switching the camera on/off unless you are stopped.. but thats not a biggy.

Some more samples...
Here's a quick trip from behind the screen, which is where I mainly use it as a crash-cam... (GoPro2 - 720P) with some added vignetting post-ride

And a much older clip with a panasonic handycam that was strapped to the right tip-over bar (very poor quality transfer) but it shows the wheel movement in relation to the bike frame and road. click

Having it way to the rear of the bike, in this case on a trailer

What I'd like to do next, when I get some time... is have it a bit like a MotoGP cam behind the rider on a gymble, but up high above & behind the passengers head so you get a sense of the lean, plus all the direct view we see when riding. One day I'll get a round-tuit.

Not legal to attach cams to helmets over here (big stink about that at the moment) and while that gives a lot of options, the constant head-movement can give the viewer a bit of vertigo / car-sick type feeling... I know I suffer from it badly and can't watch the. I need a stable reference point all the time.

And just for a bit of fun, 2 bikes, 2 camera positions, a great twisty road and a little bit of editing click

have fun, whatever you do!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 17 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:56 pm

I used a Fat Gecko suction cup mount (tethered) in this vid....

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #7 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 1:14 am
cws

Garage

also check out the forum Photography - BMW Luxury Touring Community
this has been discussed a fair bit in the past

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 2:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have tried mounting my GoPro 3+ Black on the left tip-over wing (see pix), but was unhappy with how the bike took up half the screen. The camera is presently mounted and tethered on the fairing under the front of the windshield. The remote control is mounted on the top of the stingray.

The advantage of mounting it on the tip-over wing, is that, using the skeleton frame, you can also plug it into the nearby powerlet outlet. The disadvantage, in addition to what I'd already stated, is that the skeleton frame is not waterproof, so it can only be used in fair weather.

I attached a tether disk to both the rear of the waterproof frame and on the dash. The coiled tether was recently added and obtained from REI and appears to work better than the stock string that comes with the tether disks. The string kept coming unwound from the camera mount, before adding the additional tether disk on the rear of the weatherproof frame. I could also use the skeleton frame and connect a USB cable from the camera to my Garmin 590 cradle's USB female outlet for power, but am a little leery of road debris hitting the unprotected body of the camera.

Although the helmet mount is another option, I've never been keen on having something mounted to the side of my modular helmet that is not also tethered. Some people like helmet mounts, but if mounted on the top of the helmet, can impede using flip-up shields.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151021_230634_985.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	92457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151021_230641_419.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	92465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151021_230649_721.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	92473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151021_230708_957.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	92481  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #9 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 7:06 am

I mounted my camera on my Jpeg once. It was a nice video and I used a small bolt through the hole in the Jpeg. But it was just a one time thing.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 8:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I have tried mounting my GoPro 3+ Black on the left tip-over wing (see pix), but was unhappy with how the bike took up half the screen. The camera is presently mounted and tethered on the fairing under the front of the windshield. The remote control is mounted on the top of the stingray.

The advantage of mounting it on the tip-over wing, is that, using the skeleton frame, you can also plug it into the nearby powerlet outlet. The disadvantage, in addition to what I'd already stated, is that the skeleton frame is not waterproof, so it can only be used in fair weather.

I attached a tether disk to both the rear of the waterproof frame and on the dash. The coiled tether was recently added and obtained from REI and appears to work better than the stock string that comes with the tether disks. The string kept coming unwound from the camera mount, before adding the additional tether disk on the rear of the weatherproof frame. I could also use the skeleton frame and connect a USB cable from the camera to my Garmin 590 cradle's USB female outlet for power, but am a little leery of road debris hitting the unprotected body of the camera.

Although the helmet mount is another option, I've never been keen on having something mounted to the side of my modular helmet that is not also tethered. Some people like helmet mounts, but if mounted on the top of the helmet, can impede using flip-up shields.

Dave, what did you use to mount your GPS? I have been playing with things to have it in that location but am not happy with my current hack of a mount. I don't have a shelf. Looks like it is mounted over the BMW logo on the stingray.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #11 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 11:52 am

As far as camera's go?- I went with a Drift GhostS as it is waterproof and the remote control for it is really glove friendly. Pad may weigh in here as he has a SENA Bluetooth system and has found the SENA camera to work really well with it. Others like the GoPro...most all of them anymore are going to take vid that is high enough quality for us amateurs, so don't get too hung up on the tech features. Get the one that works the best for your sitch and it'll meet your needs.

About where to mount it? Here's some different mounting spots and some +/-'s.
1- Helmet. Probably the most versatile location. Where you look, that's what the camera catches. Down side is that it can get real jerky/swingy depending on how much you as a rider move your head around.
2- Front of faring- This view is the most unobstructed. This is a plus and minus thing. Plus is that there is nothing in the frame to distract the viewer....minus is that some complain that it gives the sensation of "floating" and that it's unsettling.
3- Right side engine guard- Cool perspective with the low front end of the bike visible in the frame. Down side is that the vid can be blurry due to engine vibration...get's better at higher RPM's. Up side is to see the front suspension doing it's job on a bumpy road...pretty cool vantage point.
4- Left side pannier- Used a suction cup mount. Minus is that it vibrates here too, but not as bad as #3 above. Plus side is to see down the whole left side of the bike and can see the shifting and clutch work. Great angle for oncoming traffic shots.
5- Others have tried a camera on the top box, but I can't speak to that.

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW R1200RT (wife rides, I fix)
Sedro Woolley, Washington State
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Dave, what did you use to mount your GPS? I have been playing with things to have it in that location but am not happy with my current hack of a mount. I don't have a shelf. Looks like it is mounted over the BMW logo on the stingray.
On the '05 and up models that's the actual mounting point for the NAV III (or IV, etc.) GPS. The roundel is no longer there.

Mark

Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Also, thanks to all for the suggestions/advice. I really appreciate it!

Mark

Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 9:53 pm

Quote:
On the '05 and up models that's the actual mounting point for the NAV III (or IV, etc.) GPS. The roundel is no longer there.

Mark
Well Dang, either i have to get a newer model or make a better mount than what i hammered together an hour before leaving for SMFR. Thanks. I will keep working on it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #15 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 12:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
The other guys were correct. I had a Nav III originally mounted on my '07 and just modified some of the plastic to make the holes bigger to account the 590LM's additional wiring. Although about $135, it appears you can still order the stock mount and related pieces from MAX BMW, for the later model LT that should probably fit your earlier version.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
The other guys were correct. I had a Nav III originally mounted on my '07 and just modified some of the plastic to make the holes bigger to account the 590LM's additional wiring. Although about $135, it appears you can still order the stock mount and related pieces from MAX BMW, for the later model LT that should probably fit your earlier version.
OK, got the fiche. If I understand it right, it looks like 5 may be a bolt plate that goes under the stingray top with 4 being some type of gasket which is not listed in the pricing and 3 being the mount. 2 is the pretty cover for all of that. That might work. Heck, just ordering 3 and 5 would look better than what I have now

Thanks for pointing me to that Dave. If I drill holes in my stingray, I at least want it to look good when I am done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0003822.png
Views:	45
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	92569  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #17 of 17 Old Oct 24th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Quote:

TIA,

Mark

The suction cup mount works great on the lower part of the windscreen, had mine mounted their many times, as long as the suction cup and screen is clean in that area it will stay forever.

moisten the suction cup first. I found this to be the most secure if your using the suction cup. I have a lanyard on it but it's never come loose.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in