• 1 Post By Alpac
  • 1 Post By Hotrodsteve
  • 1 Post By rhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2015, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage
New 1200LT owner

Hello Everyone from NC!

After over 30 years of riding, several months of researching, and going from one bike to another I finally bought my first BMW. I typically have ridden cruisers, but went to a Kawasaki Concours last year. I never really got used to it. My hands would be numb within 15-20 minutes of riding. The riding position was just too far forward. I did get used to the storage and powerband of a sport tourer and I decided I liked a bike with a full fairing.

I read several articles on this forum and tried to learn as much about the pros and cons as possible. The you tube videos were also a huge help.

I just yesterday bought a 2001 K1200LT with 53000 miles. After just a 20 mile ride I decided I loved the feel of this bike. So far I absolutely love it! It doesn't have quite as much storage room as I thought it would, but don't plan on going cross country anyway.

There are some slight issues I want to address. The radio doesn't work, but it seems from some of the comments, that when it does it is kinda crappy. So I dunno. The cruise isn't working but I learned about the sensors on this forum and have figured out the throttle cable either needs to be adjusted or that sensor needs replaced. I'm sure there will be more, but thank you guys for being here and helping those "new to BMW" guys like myself. I don't think I would have been as comfortable buying this bike had I not seen your website and the support you guys seem to give each other. I do all my own work and just looking at this bike is a little intimidating.

Thanks in advance to all those on this Forum ready to lend a hand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (5).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	92145  
sailor, cws and Leboyd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Re: New 1200LT owner

Steve,

Congrats on new bike and Welcome to the K1200LT forum!!
I see you have not lost anytime and did your homework using the search facility for many subjects.

In my opinion, you will NOT find a better community of riders for any brand of motorcycles than this place.
Hotrodsteve likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2015, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks Sailor,

Seems like a good group of folks! I look forward to learning more and making even more use of the information and experience here.

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 8:20 am

Welcome to the forum and congrat on your "new" bike. I bought my 99 LT in 2008 with around 12k miles on it and have now 55k and have not stopped loving it since. I have been riding motorcycles for more than 40 years years and the LT is the one I have owned the longest so far. This is by far the most confortable bike I have riden. Also this forum is a gem and makes owning the LT even a better exerience. Everytime I had an issue with the bike or a question this forum had the answer for me and since I try to maitain and service it myself this is a big plus.
Hotrodsteve likes this.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 9:03 am

Check out my DIY videos!
ibbones and Hotrodsteve like this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 9:12 am

Where are you in NC?
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum. You may or may not have figured it out yet but this forum is awesome mainly because there are several guys on this web site that eat, sleep and shit LT's. John Zeiler, Charlie VT, Sailor , Saddleman, Kirk (check out his Vids if you haven't already), Dick and many others. There is no problem that they will not try and help you resolve. Their knowledge is legendary especially on this forum. So do not hesitate to ask for help if something confounds you.
Hotrodsteve likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee View Post
Where are you in NC?
I'm about an hour east of Raleigh in Rocky Mount
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum. You may or may not have figured it out yet but this forum is awesome mainly because there are several guys on this web site that eat, sleep and shit LT's. John Zeiler, Charlie VT, Sailor , Saddleman, Kirk (check out his Vids if you haven't already), Dick and many others. There is no problem that they will not try and help you resolve. Their knowledge is legendary especially on this forum. So do not hesitate to ask for help if something confounds you.
Yeah I have seen some of the videos. Thry are great. They were extremely helpful in learning about what to look for in purchasing the bike. I'm sure there will be something and I would bet it will come soon! Thanks for the welcome!
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodsteve View Post
I'm about an hour east of Raleigh in Rocky Mount
We are almost neighbor
Hotrodsteve likes this.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Hello Kirk,

I can't tell you how many of your videos I watched before making the purchase. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making the wrong decision and your videos helped tremendously ease my anxiety. Thank you so much for posting those videos they really helped!
Leboyd likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2015, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Alpac,

As I am still very new to the BMW and especially the 1200 LT I would love to meet up at some point if you are close by.
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 8:01 am

Cruise Control...

Check Your clutch switch first.

While you're riding, put some forward pressure on the clutch lever with the back of your fingers, then set the cruise.

If the cruise sets...there it is.

I found that there really is no adjustment on that switch, so I bonded a very thin strip of aluminum to the switch actuating tab.
(works good....lasts long time)

Edit: If you need more storage than an LT has for a cross country trip, you may have too much stuff. (try Kathy's Rack Sack)
Hotrodsteve likes this.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Last edited by rhawk; Oct 21st, 2015 at 8:06 am.
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
Cruise Control...

Check Your clutch switch first.

While you're riding, put some forward pressure on the clutch lever with the back of your fingers, then set the cruise.

If the cruise sets...there it is.

I found that there really is no adjustment on that switch, so I bonded a very thin strip of aluminum to the switch actuating tab.
(works good....lasts long time)

Edit: If you need more storage than an LT has for a cross country trip, you may have too much stuff. (try Kathy's Rack Sack)
Thanks for the advice on the cruise control. I tried it this morning...no luck. I found a you tube video that went through a testing procedure for the micro switches. It sounds like the switch that engages with the throttle cable is not "clicking", so I'm hoping it is just a cable adjustment. If not maybe the switch needs replacing. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but I don't want to tear it down until we have no more 60-70 degree days. Then I won't feel so bad having apart for a few days and can do all the service I want to do.

Thanks again!
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2015, 10:32 am

Quote:
Alpac,

As I am still very new to the BMW and especially the 1200 LT I would love to meet up at some point if you are close by.
No problem Steve, it would be a pleasure to meet a fellow LT rider.
Alain
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 24th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Garage

Quote:
Hello Everyone from NC!

There are some slight issues I want to address. The radio doesn't work, but it seems from some of the comments, that when it does it is kinda crappy. So I dunno. . . .

Thanks in advance to all those on this Forum ready to lend a hand!
Observation
But you mention the radio. I did not notice an antenna in the picture so was just wondering if the PO removed or disconnected the radio. I can't speak to this with any authority but some owners of earlier bikes opted for replacement with more updated technologies of whatever fit their fancy . . . MP3's, Ipod or other independent forms of entertainment. Just thinking out loud I guess.

ride safe
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 1:11 pm

I had my cruise adjusted recently as it would kick off. I also found even after the adjustments, the cruise won't work below 60f. I just deal with it. The bike is just being finicky

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

1998 Honda Shadow 65K - sold
2003 BMW K1200LT - 10060K
IBI Member (1K Miles in 17 Hrs)
post #18 of 19 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Congratulations on your purchase. And welcome. This bike looks and feels and rides like nothing else out there. Yes they require regimentated scheduled maintenanace. Yes, they are labor intensive. Yes, parts for them are a tad bit more pricy then their competition. But.theres no tourer like it ,and you don't see alot of them , like wings and HDs.Once we were all where you are now. Once you take it apart and do the maintenance once. It's just time consuming is all. Come to this forum and Bmw riders of northern Illinois. Great videos and tech help. Your radio problem. Theres 3 solutions for that. Send the unit to Becker in NJ. They replace the amps with the same it came with and offer output choices. Send the unit to Carphonics in the UK,a guy named Baris upgrades the amps and offers a choice of outputs. This is what i did. It took 12 days there and back. And beefer amps and cost about the same as becker does. Or some guys have put in a Jensen marine radios in. Its a great bike and great tech support here.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 25th, 2015, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith View Post
Observation
But you mention the radio. I did not notice an antenna in the picture so was just wondering if the PO removed or disconnected the radio. I can't speak to this with any authority but some owners of earlier bikes opted for replacement with more updated technologies of whatever fit their fancy . . . MP3's, Ipod or other independent forms of entertainment. Just thinking out loud I guess.

ride safe
You are right there isn't an antenna but the only thing that seems to work on it is the power light on the stingray. Shouldn't the screen display power up or there be static? The CD player has power but I put a cd in there but couldn't get it to play either

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in