Unable to open trunk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 2:12 am Thread Starter

Unable to open trunk

Hello,

I have searched the forum, but could not find anything similar. I am not able to open top trunk on my 99LT. The latch moves about half way, then I it stops. I tried to move both the latch and the top of the trunk with quite a lot of force, but it didn't help :-) There is nothing visually wrong with the latch (no broken corners). I have some clothes in the trunk, so I do not know if that can somehow block it from opening.

Any ideas how to get it open?

Thanks,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 2:37 am

Well, something is 'jamming' - obviously. If you can get an appropriate tool up behind the handle, grab both of the arms that come down from above (they're the ones that connect to the handle itself, where it often breaks on the upper corners) and pull - you should be able to get it open without damaging the latch.

Unless you want to replace the handle, do *not* attempt to force it open by using the handle! Get something else up in there to pull down on the arms. They should be able to take it - the handle certainly can't.

You may want to try pushing down on the trunk lid at the same time. If you've 'overfilled' it, you could just be increasing the friction on the latch hooks.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 8:36 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There are a couple of "E" clips on pins internal to the mechanism. I had one pop off and I could not open the trunk. I rode around a bit and pressed down on the top of the trunk and it finally opened. Usually this causes one hook to not release. Try a little riding (to shake thing up) and attempt again. Then once it is opened, remove the trunk liner and inspect the mechanicals for a loose pin. Also look for the loose "E" clip. Good Luck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Exactly as you said, jzeiler. I finally managed to open the trunk and one of the E clips was poped off as well as the pin itself. Driving around did not help though. I had to use magic spells and special movement coordination on the trunk to get it open :-)
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:07 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Glad you were successful David. Make sure you squeeze the "E" clip a little to close it up if it is loose, don't want it to fall off again as those magic spells only work once.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in