48-year record ends! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

48-year record ends!

Been riding 48 years without an accident (except for falling over in mud). Sat 8/26, i was headed south on a local street, when an SUV came out from a stop sign-controlled side street and hit me hard enough to get me and the LT airborne (according to the witness and first-on-scene)! Let's see, I was going 30-35, assuming they stopped for the sign, they should have been going slower than I when contact was made.

Anyhoo, Raven landed on my right foot/ankle, cracking several bones and breaking 2 toes and 2 of the metatarsals. While waiting for foot surgery at the ER, the team discovered that I needed a triple bypass, so, since I was there, anyway . . . .

Have not seen: police report (ordered), pics of bike (insurance co expected by last Friday), bike itself.

Was wearing all the gear: BMW helmet, Aerostitch suit, gloves, CruiserWorks boots.

Been mostly pain-free, and that is without pain meds. Tho while in the hospital I did take advantage of meds at night to help with the leg cramps.

I'll keep this group posted as progress continues. 3 of my fellow MSF coaches stopped by the hospital.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Unhappy

Hate to hear about this kind of thing..Always the unexpected that gets you..Damn glad to hear you're ok except for the injuries..Get well soon and back on two wheels again..Prayers for you..
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 3:58 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
While waiting for foot surgery at the ER, the team discovered that I needed a triple bypass, so, since I was there, anyway . . . .
That's one way to put a positive spin on this event.

Glad you are still with us and best wishes for a speedy recovery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Damn, Jim - tough way to get a triple-bypass wakeup call!! Get the injuries well healed and you oughta be as good as new and ready for the next one - 48 from now!!

Hope all the loose ends get completed to your satisfaction. Rest easy; heal well. Keep us in the loop.
post #5 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I guess they wanted to pad your bill!

Quote:
the team discovered that I needed a triple bypass, so, since I was there, anyway . . . .
That's a hellova way to find out you need a bypass, glad you're allright,
sounds strange but the accident might have saved your life?

Had a friend who broke his leg in a MC accident,
decided while he was there he'd have his hemmroids removed,
told me he'd rather break both legs than ever go through that again.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:36 pm

That idiot in the SUV probably saved your life. Often times, the first symptom of needing a triple by-pass is the last!
Thank you guardian angel -- and the SUV driver
post #7 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 4:36 pm

You had good luck sir as well as good gear covering your hide and brain housing group. What you were wearing and its contribution to lessening your injuries serves to remind the rest of us to consistently wear proper gear even if we are just going to drive around the block. Get well soon!
post #8 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Been riding 48 years without an accident...
Jim,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Believe me, I feel your pain. I have been riding for 32 years accident free until this year as well. On March 7, as I was riding my Electra Glide, I saw a Ford Expedition stopped at the left side of an intersection. Having made eye contact with the driver, as any reasonable person would, I assumed that she saw me and would yield the right of way to me. Therefore, I shifted my attention to the right to evaluate another possible threat.

On the south side of that corner, was a house with a privacy fence. I was concerned that a car, pedestrian, animal, or child could come out from behind the fence. I was contemplating how to react to this possible threat if it materialized when I saw the SUV pull out in front of me. Having previously dismissed the SUV as a threat, I did not see the vehicle pull out until I was about 30 feet from the intersection. At that time, the SUV was about half way across the left lane and accelerating.

I was traveling at approximately 45 MPH in the right lane, and as soon as I saw the SUV moving, I applied maximum front and rear breaks to reduce my speed as quickly as possible. I saw breaking as my only option. To the left, there was a concrete wall, and the SUV was headed to the right. I had no where to go.

Thankfully, I do not remember anything after the impact until I woke up in the Emergency Room. I spent 4 days in ICU and 6 days total in the hospital. The extent of my injuries are still being evaluated, but the major ones included 5 broken ribs; a punctured lung; broken teeth; I bit through my tongue; head, back neck and shoulder trauma; as well as a host of soft tissue damage. My injuries would have been more severe, but were limited due to the safety gear I was wearing.

When people asked me how I was feeling…I would say, “like I’ve been hit by a truck…oh wait…I was!” The only bright side to all of this was that my replacement bike is the LT!

My best wishes to you for a speedy and complete recovery.

Dave
Over the Bars…Back In The Saddle!

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #9 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Gee, Jim - glad you are relatively well off... I am glad the spotted the need for the bypass.

Prayin' for your complete healing... Let us know how you ar ecoming along from time to time, ok?
post #10 of 23 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
Jim,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Believe me, I feel your pain. I have been riding for 32 years accident free until this year as well. On March 7, as I was riding my Electra Glide, I saw a Ford Expedition stopped at the left side of an intersection. Having made eye contact with the driver, as any reasonable person would, I assumed that she saw me and would yield the right of way to me. Therefore, I shifted my attention to the right to evaluate another possible threat.

On the south side of that corner, was a house with a privacy fence. I was concerned that a car, pedestrian, animal, or child could come out from behind the fence. I was contemplating how to react to this possible threat if it materialized when I saw the SUV pull out in front of me. Having previously dismissed the SUV as a threat, I did not see the vehicle pull out until I was about 30 feet from the intersection. At that time, the SUV was about half way across the left lane and accelerating.

I was traveling at approximately 45 MPH in the right lane, and as soon as I saw the SUV moving, I applied maximum front and rear breaks to reduce my speed as quickly as possible. I saw breaking as my only option. To the left, there was a concrete wall, and the SUV was headed to the right. I had no where to go.

Thankfully, I do not remember anything after the impact until I woke up in the Emergency Room. I spent 4 days in ICU and 6 days total in the hospital. The extent of my injuries are still being evaluated, but the major ones included 5 broken ribs; a punctured lung; broken teeth; I bit through my tongue; head, back neck and shoulder trauma; as well as a host of soft tissue damage. My injuries would have been more severe, but were limited due to the safety gear I was wearing.

When people asked me how I was feeling…I would say, “like I’ve been hit by a truck…oh wait…I was!” The only bright side to all of this was that my replacement bike is the LT!

My best wishes to you for a speedy and complete recovery.

Dave
Over the Bars…Back In The Saddle!
Wow Dave! THat sounds like a pretty major accident... Glad you had your gear on - a good testimony for other riders.

Glad you are back in the saddle amigo!
post #11 of 23 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 3:01 am

SUV vs. Motorcycles

Glad you will be OK! I've always heard that motorcycles are too dangerous, but after reading this tread, and the fact that last summer a lady in an SUV turned into me, I think it's the SUV's with ignorant and careless drivers that are, "too dangerous".
I hope you heal soon.
Jeff
post #12 of 23 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 8:53 am

Jim,
glad to hear your doing ok... Sounds like your on the road to a real recovery.
All you need to do now is what ever your doctors tell you to do and then get back on the horse....

Rich in Florida
post #13 of 23 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 9:43 am

Wow!!! Good thing you werw in the hospital and found the heart trouble. Good luck on the healing process and keep us updated.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 23 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:01 am

Thumbs up Thanks for the positive post!!!!!!!!!

Jim,
What a great post for the rest of us to read. I'm sure it was hard to keep your chin up after being in an accident. Congrats to you.

Prayer won't hurt and I/we'll be thinking of you each ride I/we take!

Heal fast!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #15 of 23 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:36 am
Prodigal Son

Hoping for a speedy recovery

""While waiting for foot surgery at the ER, the team discovered that I needed a triple bypass, so, since I was there, anyway . ."" . .

You gotta watch out for us sneaky ER Docs, we go sniffin' around and find things people weren't expecting all too regularly.

Glad they found the blockages before the caused more havoc.
Sorry you had to get the bike wrenches and the ortho's involved though.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #16 of 23 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 1:08 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Bummer Jim, glad you're still here to share the story with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz56
I think it's the SUV's with ignorant and careless drivers that are, "too dangerous".
Agreed, but rarely do the careless driver pay the price, except for maybe insurance hassles. Who was it that said all vehicles should put the driver way out front, with no protection? that would surely solve a lot of the traffic issues we have.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 23 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 6:59 am

Smile Thank the Lord you are OK!

Jim, while sorry to hear about your accident, I'm thankful that you are OK! Sounds like the Big Guy upstairs was looking out for you. I've been riding now for 44 years and have been down 3 times with only minor injuries. I feel that this is a good record like yours. I think this would be a good time to reflect back on some basics that may have saved your life:

1. Over 90% of all motorcycle accidents are from someone pulling out in front of you. ( Usually turning left in front of you).
2. Most MC fatalities are from head injuries. Wearing the proper gear not only reduces your injuries but may very well save your life! And your good looks if that's is important.
3. Fact: you can't hit something if you are not near it! Don't follow 18 wheelers, don't get sandwiched between cars, and assume that everyone out there has the potential to hit you...so avoid close contact. I'd rather fall off my bike at 70 mph with nothing around me than to T-bone a car at 35 mph! Remember folks.... hitting a 3" diameter tree at 50 mph is like having Mickey Mantle hit you upside your head with his favorite bat.
4. And last but not least....Check your tire pressure and tread wear. A large number of accidents are caused by bad tires and bad pressures. We have a tendency to blame accidents on road conditions instead.

Jim, I hope you don't mind my reminders to everyone since you have already proven to be a "Lucky guy". If my little list helps one person that's enough for me. God bless you and I thank him for looking out for you! Speedy recovery!
Ron Ray
post #18 of 23 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the wishes, everyone! Still don't have any more info, but have some help looking.

Ride safe!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #19 of 23 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Jim - I have 38 accident free years & 150K miles but at 68 I faced being an organ donor last Friday eastbound at 45 mph on US8 near the top of the hill at St Croix Falls WI. Wearing full race leathers etc, I was frankly daydreaming in the left lane (do I want to stop at Wally World for earplugs?) on my R90/6 & didn't notice a big station wagon on my right at a minor intersection accelerating across all four lanes. Too late to stop, I swished by his front bumper about 2 ft away while he just happened to hesitate.

"I'd rather fall off my bike at 70 mph with nothing around me than to T-bone a car at 35 mph!"

Closest I've ever come by far. Lightning can strike anytime. I got the luck you didn't get. Get well soon fellow Minnesotan.

Niel
Minnetonka MN
post #20 of 23 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 1:26 pm

48 year record

Glad to hear it was no worse than it was but still bad enough. When I had my crash two years ago, I think the bike fell on my hand, broke it enough for two plates and seven screws, but all else was good due to ATGATT.

And your crash also serves to illustrate the principle that there are two kinds of riders: those who have crashed and those who will crash. Whenever I hear someone boast that he/she's been riding for xx years without an accident, I want to get far away from them for they are due!

Get well and get back on!

PS, folks tell me I was lucky to have only the injuries I had. I tell them that's not true, luck had nothing to do with it: if I had really been lucky, the car would not have hit me. But I was fortunate to be wearing ATG which mitigated the damage to me. And as I lay by the side of the road, someone asked "Are you ok?" I said "Hell no, I just got hit by a car!"

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #21 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I am glad you are alive. Your story (and those told by the other guys) must be in our minds ATT so that we can continue riding aware of the dangers around us ATT.

Ignacio
Imagine, 2001 K1200 LT Pacific

It's not happier he who has the most but he who needs the least.
post #22 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Somewhere deep in all of our thoughts, especially when young, we believe we are invincible or at least it won't happen to me. As we get older we slowly accept that the accident can happen and no one is immune. We become more cautious, safer, using better riding apparel and add items to the bikes to make them more visible. Like the headlight modulator and brake light flasher or just more lights. The thought of an accident is always on our minds even for the short insignificant rides. The ones most would least suspect a problem would occur. When we hear of a fellow rider involved in an accident we all cringe and thank our lucky stars it wasn't us as we most likely have had a similar yet near miss.

Keep riding, stay safe, watch for the other guy and don't blame the vehicle (suv), blame the nut behind the wheel.

Jim, Heal well, heal fast.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #23 of 23 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 3:34 pm

48 Year Record.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in