Looking for a new ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 1:11 am Thread Starter

Looking for a new ride

Okay, I have decided it's time to add another ride to my stable, and I have narrowed my choices down to the K1200LT or an R1200CLC. I'm going to keep my K100 just to kick around on, but I want a touring bike for 2-up, tunes, cruise, intercom (add-on), yadda, yadda, yadda. Quality, performance, and style on either bike is a toss-up for me, after all, they are both BMWs. While researching the LT, I came up with a few questions. What seems to be the better year(s) to own (1999, 2003, 2005)? I have read some reports about rear end problems and wonder if this is a problem inherent to a particular year model or is it akin to "lubing the rear splines" on my K100 (a maintenance issue as opposed to a design flaw)? What is the difference between an LT, an LTE, and an LTC? I haven't test ridden an LT yet, but I have ridden the CLC. A test ride on the LT may make the decision for me, but any insight you could give, be it pro or con, would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 2:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Style is subjective, but the performance differences between the CLC and LT are significant. You gotta ride an LT, then decide what fits you best.

As for other issues, a read through our FAQ and Hall of Wisdom will give you plenty of info.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 8:10 am

IMHO if you want a touring bike, then better find an LT for a test ride. The CL is a great cruiser (and because of its lack of popularity can be had for a song - relatively speaking), but friends who ride the CL say it isn't a very good long distance ride. Somebody can and will tell you more about the different model years, but here's what I've picked up. The 02 and newer have the latest ABS system. The 03 and newer have a better rear end (17 ball vs 19 ball bearings) and have had significantly less reported failures than 02 and earlier (the failures on earlier models have not been shown to be maintenance related like the spline lubes on your K100). The 05 and newer has a lower seat and a shortened wheelbase for a little easier maneuvering (oh and not to forget the automatic centerstand). The differences on the LT, LTC, LTE and Icon vary a little from year to year. Finally, have to agree with Ken, performance is not a toss-up on these two, the LT wins hands down.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks - I will have some down time from work within the next two weeks so I'll schedule a test ride during that time. I've ridden the CLC and liked it (especially the price), but my preference is to stay with the K motor because it is so much smoother than the R (IMO). As suggested, the test ride will probably be the deciding factor.
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 1:34 pm

Choice is a personal thing, but if you like to tour two up, ride long distances or have a passion for higher performance, you will really make a mistake by not taking out an LT before making your decision. Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in