Broken Fuel Line on 1999 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Broken Fuel Line on 1999 K1200LT

Hi Everyone-

I was hoping to take a trip to upper Michigan before I need to go back to work, but I noticed a fuel leak the other day as luck would have it. When I removed the side cover, it seems the return fuel line (pictured) ruptured. I have 2 questions-

1) Looking at the fuel hose replacement procedure in my Clymer's manual, it looks time consuming and a little complicated removing the throttle body, etc.... I looked around the technical docs on this site and didn't see another set of instructions. Any advice on the best way to get it done with the least hassle. I would prefer to do it myself, but not if it's going to take me a really long time. I replaced my brake lines last fall with some good advice from this forum on brake bleeding.

2) Can I add a metal connector between the two broken ends with a couple hose clamps to get by until next spring and still be able to go for the ride?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line 2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	999.4 KB
ID:	90818   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel leak 1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	90826  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 10:26 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Broken Fuel Line on 1999 K1200LT

That is not a fuel pressure or fuel return line. It is either from the fuel tank safety valve to the charcoal canister or the catch pan overfill line. You can use a hose barb to repair it. That line has no pressure.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
That is not a fuel pressure or fuel return line. It is either from the fuel tank safety valve to the charcoal canister or the catch pan overfill line. You can use a hose barb to repair it. That line has no pressure.
Dave, at the top of image 2, that is one of the fuel lines with the hose clamp on the pump, correct?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Dave, at the top of image 2, that is one of the fuel lines with the hose clamp on the pump, correct?
Your fuel lines will be at about the top of that picture. I think I see one half cut off at the top...at least, I see a white thing in about the right position to be one of the original plastic fuel line quick-connects. There should be two of those, and the prudent person will replace them with brass quick connects. Beemer Boneyard sells them.

I concur that the line you have which is split is not important; replacing it should be simple or just using a barb fitting is absolutely fine. You won't need to clamp the barb either.

What I am wondering about is why the bottom of that motor is covered in oil. If the machine is in good condition, the motor should be dry.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 4:17 pm

From the pics it looks like whatever is coming out of the cracked hose is what wet the engine case.

Scott
2007 LT
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I guess I mis-diagnosed the issue. I'll confirm if it's the overflow hose. I would bet you are correct as I noticed the leak after filling up the tank and parking it in my driveway which slants slightly downhill.

The oil is from when I changed the oil the other week- somehow I didn't tighten the oil plug enough leading to a drip which I stopped since. I will wash off the oil and make sure it stays clean before taking any trips.

Thanks for your help.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

After coming back and re-reading this thread, the thought occurred to me that once the broken vent line was fixed, shouldn't shelmen1 also check to verify that his canister isn't backed up too? I would want to ensure that once the tank is vented again, that the canister (if the bike hasn't had the canisterectomy yet) is still working properly before going on a long trip. In addition, when putting the tupperware back on, he needs to make sure that the vent line is properly routed and not pinched closed, which would create a vacuum to collapse his fuel tank. John Zeiler fixed Doc's LT at this year's CCR that had this problem, and my tank collapsed during the ride to the Chattanooga CCR because of a pinched vent line.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 7:28 am

I would be more concerned about that oil on the back of the engine.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in