West Sussex Motorcycle Hire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 29th, 2015, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

West Sussex Motorcycle Hire

I am planing to rent a couple of BMWs for a couple of weeks next summer for a tour of the U.K. I have found only a few places that rent RT models, none that rent GTLs and only one with multiple RTs (need two as two couples are traveling).

The best place based on email exchange and availability of multiple bikes appears to be West Sussex Motorcycle Hire, but they have been in business only five years. Is anyone on the forum familiar with this company?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 29th, 2015, 11:27 am

Re: West Sussex Motorcycle Hire

I rented from them in July, when I visited UK.

I did not rent a BMW; I rented a suzuki 1250 sport-touring bike.

Note that they are located in Chichester, which is a good 50-60 miles from London on the south coast. If you have to get there from Heathrow, you will be taking the tube to Victoria Station, then taking a train to Chichester, then walking the roughly 1.5 miles from the station to their shop (or take a cab, and I did not see any). The trip will take approximately 3 hours. They did not tell me this when I rented the bike online, and the cost of the trip was around $50 one way.

The bike I rented was in excellent shape and had been fully prepped when I picked it up. It performed flawlessly over the two weeks I had it. The BMWs I saw sitting there were similarly ready to go. Given my flight arrival time, and the fact that I got lost trying to figure out how to get from the tube to the train, and wound up in the wrong place and had to backtrack, it was about 8PM when I finally arrived at their shop...and they close at 5:30 IIRC. However, they knew I was coming, understood the situation, and waited for me.

West Sussex is not cheap, when you add it all up. The trip to/from the airport to their facility is a non-trivial cost. However, they were cooperative, friendly, and their bikes are in excellent shape.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 29th, 2015, 11:32 am

Oh...also...

The fellow at West Sussex told me I had taken the wrong route to chichester. He said there was a train from heathrow to gatwick, and I should take have taken that train, then changed trains in gatwick to go to chichester. He said it would have saved me an hour.

This information is wrong, and when I depended on it during my return trip, I found that out. Consequently, I missed my flight out of Heathrow. The airline put me on the next flight, so it proved to not be a big deal, but be advised if you rent from them. Your route is tube to Victoria Station, then train to Chichester. Accept no substitutes.
post #4 of 4 Old Sep 29th, 2015, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8 View Post
Oh...also...

The fellow at West Sussex told me I had taken the wrong route to chichester. He said there was a train from heathrow to gatwick, and I should take have taken that train, then changed trains in gatwick to go to chichester. He said it would have saved me an hour.

This information is wrong, and when I depended on it during my return trip, I found that out. Consequently, I missed my flight out of Heathrow. The airline put me on the next flight, so it proved to not be a big deal, but be advised if you rent from them. Your route is tube to Victoria Station, then train to Chichester. Accept no substitutes.
Thanks, Jim.

Yes, I have researched them about as much as I can online and understand their costs and less than convenient location. They will deliver the bikes to London for around 110. When we figured the cost of getting four of us and luggage to Chichester, it is cheaper and far more convenient to have them deliver and retrieve the two bikes.

We looked at rentals north of London (as expensive and requires full payment at time of reservation!) and in Edinburgh (only one RT and neither of us want to ride two-up for two weeks on a GS), but West Sussex is the best option we have found to date.

My only reservation was their relatively short tenure of five years. However, they have been very responsive to my email questions. Sounds like they dealt fairly with you other than not volunteering the location. The first thing I do is map out the location of the places I look at so I am not surprised by location.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in