Driveshaft Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

Question Driveshaft Removal

Is there a way to remove c clip on drive shaft without removing differential ?
Bearing bolt on inside of differential is not coming out.
I have swingarm bolts removed, only thing holding swingarm and differential
is driveshaft.
Any idea's will be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds
Is there a way to remove c clip on drive shaft without removing differential ?
Bearing bolt on inside of differential is not coming out.
I have swingarm bolts removed, only thing holding swingarm and differential
is driveshaft.
Any idea's will be greatly appreciated
The circlip doesn't have to be removed. A firm pull on the shaft is all that's required. The 'clip' is internal, it rests in a groove. If you manage to pull the swing arm out the shaft will either come loose at the final drive end or pull out of the tranny. Getting it all back together with the final drive still in place may make you crazy. Getting the pivot pins out of the drive would be better. If they are that hard to get out they may have been over tightened or had locite applied during a previous service. Maybe what you need is advise on removing those suckers. It would be a great time to fill out your profile, one of us may be close enough to come by and give you a hand.

Last edited by mjordans2000; Sep 8th, 2006 at 12:18 am.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 6:00 am

I asked this question the other day. Just slide a screwdriver between the u-joint and the transmission shaft and pry the driveshaft off. It will slide right off.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Great, you updated your profile. Lot's of talented rider/mechanics in your area. Try posting on the SE regional board and see if any of your neighbors can help out. Might be a nice time for a service party. Kevin's suggestion to use the prying technique is a good one. You might have to try a few different angles and screw driver/pry bars to get it right but it will work. I still suggest trying to get those pivot pins loose. The process of lining up the splines and pushing in far enough to reengage the rubber boot into it's slot is going to be tough while you wrestle with a large, balky swing arm and final drive. I have also had problems clearing obstructions while trying to line up the swing arm/drive shaft. With the extra weight and reduced flexibility resulting from a one piece approach you'll probably have to remove more stuff like the exhaust to have a shot at this.
post #5 of 7 Old May 31st, 2012, 3:18 pm

Re: Driveshaft Removal

Im trying to get my driveshaft back on my 2010 1200RT but its a tough one lining up with transmission shaft through the front boot, any experienced person with some advice would be helpful., Also should I be able to pull the driveshaft completely out without removing swingarm ? Bought the service manual (CD) but no mention on this item.. Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old May 31st, 2012, 6:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you remove the cross member and he exhaust you can pull the swing arm straight back with the drive shaft still engaged to the tranny (it pulls apart into tow pieces). But following Kevin's advise may get you enough room to get it out with the exhaust still in there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2012, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasemo4
Im trying to get my driveshaft back on my 2010 1200RT but its a tough one lining up with transmission shaft through the front boot, any experienced person with some advice would be helpful., Also should I be able to pull the driveshaft completely out without removing swingarm ? Bought the service manual (CD) but no mention on this item.. Thanks
Yes you can pull the shaft out and reinstall w/o removing the swingarm. (on a LT) It can be a real patient buster, but you can do it. The trick for me was to remove the bottom bolt for the shock and then use a bottle jack and get the swingarm level as possible and then install the shaft.
Its not easy but easier than removing the swingarm.
Hope that helps.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in