If you're Dumb, Shut off the bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

If you're Dumb, Shut off the bike

So I'm dumb, ego is shot and I'm embarrassed. Should have shut off the bike. I live on the SE coast of Florida and have to deal with the "perpetually up" lift bridges over the Intercoastal Waterway. This morning, of course, the bridge was up. As I take my place among a hundred or so vehicles waiting for the bridge I figured I'd put her on the side stand, put my feet up on the boards and relax while waiting for the bridge. So, I put down and made sure the sidestand was fully extended and firm, put my right foot up on the board, crossed my arms comfortably and began putting my left foot up on the board. Unfortunately, I was too dumb to shut the bike off so it was idling in neutral. As I placed my left foot on the board I also hit the shift lever, instantly putting it in to first gear, the bike lurched forward and I went down. Right foot got caught between the board and the brake lever in the process. It was pretty hard to look cool anymore, so I squatted and "assumed the position" to lift up the LT; someone seeing my dilemma was thoughtful enough to come over and help me right the bike and I was soon on my way. I'm sure everyone else had a good laugh. The ankle is currently bruised and swollen; no damage to the bike. In the future I'll better plan my wait, which will include shutting off the bike. Ah, the things you learn when you're dumb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:56 pm

You're foot will heal...probably sooner than your ego unfortunately.

At the risk of insulting you, here's some food for thought. Never sit on your bike with it in Neutral, whether it's running or not.
  • Come to a stop with bike in 1st gear, clutch in.
  • Shut off bike. Let out clutch.
  • Roll bike forward, put down kickstand.
  • Put bike on kickstand, then relax.
The only time my bike's are in Neutral is when I'm working on them and they are on the centerstand.

Maybe this post isn't for you. But someone out there may benefit from this information.
post #3 of 38 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:58 pm

????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascaLT
Ah, the things you learn when you're dumb.

???????????????????????
The things you learn if you are human!!!!!!!!!

Don't beat yourself up Sam. It might be me you just saved by sharing. Thanks

PS Hope you heal fast!!

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone

post #4 of 38 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Or you could just be so freaking tired that you back it in to your hotel spot, totally forget about the sidestand, and just get off and watch it flop over!
post #5 of 38 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:46 pm

You might have just saved someone else from a humbling experience! Thanks for sharing and I hope the Ankle gets better soon!

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 1:40 am

The beauty of an LT is only skin deep.

It's a human creation - when it's doing what it was designed to do, the way it was designed to do it - it's very pleasing to most.

However, being human created, it's far from perfect. Yea, gravity still sucks. When she's in a position contrary to designed operation - I don't care who you are, there simlply ain't no way to look good. BUT, to get it back up and going on - now that's grace

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #7 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 6:14 am

Embarrassment is a waste of time. Things are going to happen, & most of the time people will be more concerned about your welfare than "the incident". Remember how you feel when you see a friend with a problem?

It was just another data point on a learning curve. Thanks for passing it on, & start saving gas at those bridges.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #8 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:39 am

When you hit the ground you should have yelled "DOH"!!!!!!!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #9 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You're foot will heal...probably sooner than your ego unfortunately.

At the risk of insulting you, here's some food for thought. Never sit on your bike with it in Neutral, whether it's running or not.
  • Come to a stop with bike in 1st gear, clutch in.
  • Shut off bike. Let out clutch.
  • Roll bike forward, put down kickstand.
  • Put bike on kickstand, then relax.
The only time my bike's are in Neutral is when I'm working on them and they are on the centerstand.

Maybe this post isn't for you. But someone out there may benefit from this information.
Excellent summary. I omitted step three earlier this year and almost lost her.
post #10 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 5:44 pm

don't know if it'll make you feel any better about it, but i'm purty sure most of us have pulled dumbass moves as bad or worse.

i once rebuilt the front end of a GL1100, then reassembled it WITHOUT refilling the radiator. there was coolant in the reservoir but none in the plumbing. i then proceeded to ride the bike to work ... and back ... for three days before discovering my stupidity. the temp gauge didn't read high because no fluid was in there.

the most amazing thing: i filled the radiator and rode the bike another two years before selling it. never missed a beat.
post #11 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:01 am
Premium Vendor

Tony 05
post #12 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 1:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Or you could just be so freaking tired that you back it in to your hotel spot, totally forget about the sidestand, and just get off and watch it flop over!
Thank God I'm no longer alone on this one!
post #13 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 5:26 am

There should be a safety switch on the side stand. My bike won't run if I put the side stand down.
post #14 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Or... you could have put the LT on the centerstand and then gone around to the back of the bike and leaned up against the top case to chat with someone, only to watch it roll forward off the centerstand.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 5:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman
There should be a safety switch on the side stand. My bike won't run if I put the side stand down.
Hi, Gary - Toad will start, and idle, with the sidestand down IF we're in neutral gear. And of course, will start and run with the clutch dis-engaged by the clutch lever
post #16 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 8:09 am

Let's face it, you can't teach "stupid".
post #17 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Let's face it, you can't teach "stupid".
According to MSF..."Stupid hurts."

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #18 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 4:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Seems other folks agree, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Sep 9th, 2006 at 5:50 pm.
post #19 of 38 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Or... you could have put the LT on the centerstand and then gone around to the back of the bike and leaned up against the top case to chat with someone, only to watch it roll forward off the centerstand.
Dumb, Dee Dumb, Dumb.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 12:54 am

Thanks For Sharing!

Good write-up, makes me think twice about waiting for a light in neutral...

Bruce

(FWIW: Pulled into a storage unit on my Montauk... Shut off the bike... Started to dismount... Hmmm.... bike sure is leaning left in a hurry... Doh!!! Kickstand isn't down!!! Sort of caught/stopped the fall without any damage to the bike. Only had my Bride watching me being stupid...)

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #21 of 38 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:00 pm

Talking Mountain Bike Flop!

I used to commute on a mountain bike to work, (27 miles one way) I was a block away from work and came up to the traffic light. I had a cop car to my left and I was stopped, balancing and rolling onto and back off of a big turtle shell road divider.... I rolled back one more time and started to fall over and I couldn't get my feet clear of the traps and just went over like a sack o taters... I was skinned up and bleeding and the cop rolled his power window down to ask if I was okay... I just nodded my head and took off with out saying a word..... Man, I was so bloody embarrassed!
post #22 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 9:12 am
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

Red face Yeah and there's me that...

Rolled smartly into the garage. Was going to put the bike away for the evening. Pushed the button for the electrohydraulic sidestand to deploy...

... and remembered that its the centerstand and oh damn I don't have an electrohydraulic whatza mathingy.

Left the damn thing lie there for awhile for the embarassment....

Keith your not alone with the getting off da bike and walking away to watch the b___h flop over on her side.

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #23 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 9:40 am

REFERENCE:

"If you're gonna be dumb"

A song by Roger Alan Wade

Quote:

I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer,
but I know enough to know....

If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough.
post #24 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman
It WILL run in neutral! He had shifted to neutral, but hit the gearshift putting his foot on the peg. That would have shut the engine off, but not before the bike has lurched forward.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #25 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 9:58 am

Thats got to be one of the dumbest things I ever heard!
No not dropping the bike.
Sitting there waiting for the bride to lower, at that time you know no one is using the other (motorcycle) lane, which is when you move to the front of the line showing the cagers once again. Why bikes are better than cars.
Man when I was coming back from the keys off Christmas vacation, the line was over a mile long, passed them all, pulling the white elephant.
Being camped less than 100' from the surf sure made a great time, May go again this year
Rock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp#1A.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	8289  
post #26 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:16 pm

ouch...

sounds like you might wanna' order an extra set of stickers and pins, my friend...

glad you're ok

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #27 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:43 pm

I'm sure there are a lot more "untold" stories out there............
This is just one of mine.

On the way back from EOD school in Alabama I had parked the bike on a "remove tire chains" wide spot on the shoulder of the freeway going thru Wyoming somewhere. Because this was back in the days when Uncle Sam paid very little......I had budgeted my trip very carefully. Ate a LOT of Beanee Weanies and slept at campgrounds...you know. Well, I'd had my daily rations already that day......was hot, and tired, threw the bike (Moto Guzzi 850-T) up on the centerstand and draped my ankles up over the handlebars. Mind you, this bike had the "police Kit" on it....floorboards...heel/toe shifter....and the wide, wide wheel barrow handlebars, and that really long, locking sidestand!! Had one of those ancient Windjammer fairings too....with the radio wired for headphone jacks etc, etc.
Well, I leaned back up against the tent/sleeping bag pile and let my head settle into a really comfortable position, thinking about what I'd be able to afford to eat later on in the day....maybe a grilled cheese with a great big ol' dill pickle...mmmm goooooood!! After a bit I opened my eyes and was looking at the clouds, and I'm thinking "Man! I'm so hungry I'm getting dizzy....I must be pretty nauseous.....those clouds weren't moving that fast when I stopped!!"....and just about then I find myself rolling across the asphalt on my hands and knees!! Yep...you got it.....the asphalt was so new, and the day was so warm.....my bike had sunk into it just far enough that both wheels were on the ground, with nothing to hold it up any longer. Over it went!!

Well, with a bit of a struggle I eventually got it unstuck........only to find that the part of the tab that locked the sidestand into its slot, was broken! It would still retract like it was supposed to....and come down like it was supposed to.....just wouldn't lock in place...........like it was supposed to.

Well, I did get back into town, (Great Falls) the next day, but before I went home, I thought I'd stop at the dealership I'd bought the bike from, to see if they could get me another of those tabs for the sidestand. So I pulled up, kicked the sidestand out, leaned the bike over and went to get off.....all in one smoooooooth well coordinated motion. Except the bike kept going.....and going....and going......BAM! It went so far over it snapped the windshield into 2 neat pieces!! you remember that little tab?? The one that's supposed to lock into place and keep the bike from rolling any further forward?? Well, it also kept the sidestand itself from going past the locking slot too!! Except it no longer had the tab there........... I don't know what I did faster....look around to see if anybody else was watching.....or pick the bike up and get it up on the centerstand. So ended my day.....embarrassingly!!

I sure do miss that bike!!

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #28 of 38 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:30 pm

goes to show ya...

that all of you should invest in a "if you can read this, stop laughing and help me lift my LT" sticker set and Droppers Anonymous pin (see other thread on this section...)

Pete "still has a bunch he fronted cash for" Van Dyke

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #29 of 38 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 1:38 am

God is going to get me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbcpa
Thank God I'm no longer alone on this one!
I busted out laughing ... twice! Sorry
If not God, the Karma.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #30 of 38 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 8:16 am

If You're Dumb, Shut off the bike

I remember sitting on my Moto Guzzi Cali 3 chatting to friends before leaving the bike club. Engine running, sidestand down, leaning back and feet on the footboards. Knocked it into gear and took off across the car park and down the road, still lying back against my sleeping bag. Luckily I managed to save it. Didn't make the same mistake again.

post #31 of 38 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 8:53 am

I've told how I dropped my LT the first time I turned into my driveway.

I haven't told how I dropped it the second time.

In my driveway.

I picked the bike up and got it to the bottom of the hill, and turned around and into the place I park. I put the bike up on the center-stand, and went into the house. A few hours later, I had recovered from the first drop and decided to ride the big beast again.

I got the owners manual out and read about how to take it off the center-stand. Ok. Grab the handlebar, and the handhold on the side of the bike and roll it off the stand. NO PROBLEM.

Except I wasn't ready for all that weight. BLOOP. This time it was laying slightly downhill. I couldn't pick it up by myself. Had to get my landlord to give me hand.

Haven't used the center-stand since. I gotta try that thing again one of these days.
post #32 of 38 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 10:26 am

or other

I didn't know we were open to other Dumb Stunts till I read all the way through.
At the gym 1st (and last) time on a treadmill.
I'm moving along, old guy gets off the one next to me.
A really cute chick gets on and smiles at me
As I turn to introduce myself, I had stopped walking, WAM right off the back of the thing into the wall with my shoulder.
That chick still smiles at me, I don't even talk to her, figure shes bad luck.
Rock
post #33 of 38 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Wayne, What's your inseam?? I'm 32 inches and I just climb on and shove it forward. It may not work for you, but it is another way. I've never done it as the book says. YMMV.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #34 of 38 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 9:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face

Hi , ...I haven't drooped my LT ,...Yet ..nope... not me ...I have dropped most of the bikes I have ever owned , just not the LT... BUT...

I have run it over with our motorhome . I was trying to get our motorhome moved over a little on a camp site , and I thought I had our K1200LT/Hannigan Rig out of the way . Well I see my wife doing a Maculae Collagen ( both hands on her face , & her mouth wide open ) as I was backing up .

So I think ,... well I better check out what she is getting so executed by . So I put it in park ( so I thought ) and went to the door , but the door won't open . our bike is kind of stuck to the side of the motorhome .

Then the Motorhome takes off forward towards a pop up camper , wile I'm still at the side door . So I run up the front and get it stopped before it flattens the pop up .

You would not believe it , all I did was knocked the left mirror off , and bent up the clutch handle . there wasn't any pant , or plastic damaged I had drug our rig 15' sideways, but it was drug by the clutch handle only .

So I pop the mirror back on , and it was almost as good as new .

I know I was being looked after that day! ...patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #35 of 38 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 3:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Wayne, What's your inseam?? I'm 32 inches and I just climb on and shove it forward. It may not work for you, but it is another way. I've never done it as the book says. YMMV.
Steve, that's what I'm going to do next time. It's the way I always did my other bike and I never had any problem. As a matter of fact I did just the the one other time I took the LT off the center-stand at the dealers with no problem. I was just trying to be "by the book" that time. Duhhhhhh
post #36 of 38 Old Apr 28th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Re: If you're Dumb, Shut off the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
That's the way I do it!

But I did drop mine in the drive way.
I was backing it out of the garage thinking this reverse is just damn cool.
As I was backing I thought I would swing it around 90 degrees and pull away ..well as I was doing that I was looking over my shoulder to see if I was going to clear the rv,which I did ..even as it fell.
After that..I try not to turn backing up!
I'm 5'10 but only weigh 150!
post #37 of 38 Old Apr 29th, 2012, 10:16 am

Don't feel bad. I dropped my VTX at 1mph with my wife on the back, right in front of our neighbors house. My wife landed on me, the bike just stopped. No damage to the bike. Major damage to my pride......!! Yes, it was a brain burp - tight radius corner, not enough throttle.... And I still pucker up on that corner, which I've gone around hundreds of times beforehand.....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #38 of 38 Old Apr 29th, 2012, 12:13 pm

LOL. The other day leaving work, had the Tiger up on the center stand. Start bike put on gear, get on bike snick into first gear (I thought) both feet on pegs rock her off the center stand apply a little gas let out on the clutch and oh C(*& it is still in neutral. Got my feet down, but she is too far over long slow struggle to the ground. Of course, first thing to do is look around and see who is looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in