Oil Filter Cover Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Oil Filter Cover Leak

My last two oil changes have resulted in a slow leak from the cover. I change the o-ring every other change but it has now leaked with old o-ring and with new one. Last oil change I installed a set of Dave's super 12.9 bolts but it still leaks (I didn't expect the bolts to help, actually didn't expect it to leak with new gasket.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem? My parking spot is starting to look like "Harley Davidsons Only" parking!

If I recall correctly, the leak started when I switched to synthetic....I've heard of it leaking from old engines but this thing only has 24K! And besides, isn't the o-ring supposed to take care of the seal?

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Russ,

It doesn't take stonger bolts to stop that leak. Most likely you have a small piece of dirt or other material in the o-ring groove. It needs to be absolutely clean. Another source is something stuck to the seat area on the sump. You may just have to pull it off and inspect it. The ears where those bolts go through could also have some debris preventing the o-ring from fully contacting the seat area.

When you place the cover on the sump you should see daylight everywhere but where the o-ring is and it should rotate freely (with out the bolts) and smoothly. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

Synthetic has nothing to do with this leak.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
My last two oil changes have resulted in a slow leak from the cover. I change the o-ring every other change but it has now leaked with old o-ring and with new one. Last oil change I installed a set of Dave's super 12.9 bolts but it still leaks (I didn't expect the bolts to help, actually didn't expect it to leak with new gasket.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem? My parking spot is starting to look like "Harley Davidsons Only" parking!

If I recall correctly, the leak started when I switched to synthetic....I've heard of it leaking from old engines but this thing only has 24K! And besides, isn't the o-ring supposed to take care of the seal?
Sounds like either a scratched O-ring surface on either the pan or cover, or possibly a warped cover. Look for any scratches/scars in the sealing surfaces. If you do find one, it can be repaired by enlarging it some, and getting it REALLY clean, then putting epoxy (J-B Weld) in it and smoothing the surface so the O-ring can again seal.

I remember something on the BMW "big list" once about a leak someone had in an older K bike, and they found that one of the cover bolt holes had been either drilled through fully at the factory, or ran into a void in the casting, so oil was leaking slowly around the screw threads.

You are right, the stronger bolts are not to be used tighter than stock specs, and would not help a leak anyway. They are only to prevent heads breaking off at spec. or "slightly" tighter, as quite a few have done.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 3:59 am

What I thought was my o-ring leaking ended up being the rear main seal. But since your LT is a 05, it must be either a piece of dirt or metal shaving on either surface. Also, when I have the oil filter cover off, I clean (spray) it with brake cleaner (or electrical contact cleaner) while holding it above a trash can. The brake spray will clean the cover completely and will dry in seconds.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:12 pm Thread Starter

Leaks

Thanks, guys. I'm going to drain and refill it this weekend, see what's going on under the o-ring.

I also have the rear drive seal leak! Keeps my drive shaft lubed nicely.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 1:07 am

Russ
I would exaine the cover to identify if it is warped, had mine replaced by the dealer only yesterday (7th) for exactly the same problem. The mechanic said it was a manufacturing fault and they replaced it free of charge. My LT is an 04 model and only covered 8000 miles.

Dave
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Well, mine was evidently caused by something under the O ring or a faulty O ring. I cleaned it VERY well, changed the O ring. No leak. And now I'm on my second oil change since and no leak. I used to replace the O ring every other change, now do it every time.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in