Iron Butt Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Iron Butt Ride

I am planning on doing an Iron Butt ride from Colorado Springs to Gallup NM and back later this month, any advice to make the trip as painless as possible. I am riding an 03 LT, Got Jimmy Buffett and a cup holder!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:06 pm

I completed an Iron Butt just over a year ago. Take frequent stops. Don't push yourself too hard in between breaks. Drink plenty of fluid. You can and will get dehydrated and that's when your concentration will go, discomfort will set in. If you can get some j-pegs on the bike before going I would highly recommend it. The ability to change position will help a lot.

My wife and I did it 2-up. It is a great accomplishment and a true sense of achievement. Good Luck!

Keith
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:45 pm

Iron Butt ride.

Carry a means for hydration. Camel back, platypus, frozen water bottles in a tank bag. Dress comfortably. Microfiber boxers and t's work well in keeping you comfy. No seams in any location that will be in constant contact with your skin. Sleep well the night before. Take a short iron butt nap along the way. Short 1 hour power nap will go a long way in recharging the batteries. Too many energy drinks will drain you!! Avoid caffeine, it is a terrible dehydrator.

If you see dinosaurs along the highway, you made a wrong turn!!!

Best of luck to you!

Gene

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:07 am

I just completed my first SaddleSore 1000 Iron Butt ride.

Hydration is very important.
If the eyelids feel heavy, stop and lay back on the ground or picnic table for 5 minutes with your eyes closed, it will help.
Carry mints to suck on occassionally. They will help to keep you alert.
Eat light meals on route.
Dress according to the weather. For 80's-90's I use a mesh jacked and overpants and wicking long sleeve shirt and pants. Colder than 80's I use my Kilimanjaro jacket.
It takes a positive attitude...when you mentally give up, your ride is over.

good luck!

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:13 am

Don't wait until you are burnt out to take a brake, stop every 100 or so miles for a short brake, you have plenty time.
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:14 am

Iron Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
I am planning on doing an Iron Butt ride from Colorado Springs to Gallup NM and back later this month, any advice to make the trip as painless as possible. I am riding an 03 LT, Got Jimmy Buffett and a cup holder!
Have you got an estimate of the mileage? I've done 1000 mi in 19 hours (there were lots of back roads) and had know trouble staying awake by eating and taking in water along the way, the crucial time for me was 3 am to 7 am

Bill
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:18 am
Ted

Monty -

Your route looks good, but make sure it's at least 1,050 miles just to make sure. The IBA will adjust your miles and you don't want to miss qualifying by a few miles. You won't have to deal with riding directly into a rising or setting sun - plan on being on the road by 5:00 AM - which means getting to your gas station by 4:30AM to get your witness's signature and gas receipt.

As others have said, hydration is the key. Get a CamelBack and fill it with ice & water. The Saddlesore 1000 is very doable. I just completed my 3rd this past Sunday with my 13-year-old son - we had a blast! Camarillo CA to Zion National Park and back - approx. 1,094 miles took us 22 hours, but we stopped a total of 5 1/2 hours, and our longest segment was only 178 miles.

Also, put your witness forms in a legal envelope and bring a separate envelope for receipts. I find it easiest to get into a routine: 1st thing you do at a stop is record the time & place on your log sheet, then get your gas or food, then immediately put these receipts in the envelope and sort them out later. After a while you tend to feel a tad euphoric - the combination of adrenaline and fatigue! I also find it handy to record the departure time from each stop - then you can figure out your overall driving time vs rest/food stops.

Pace yourself - relax - and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	6532   Click image for larger version

Name:	nico_ted2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	6533   Click image for larger version

Name:	nico2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	6534  

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips. I was planning on leaving at 5 am. I believe the route is 1020 miles so maybe I should go a bit further. The most I have done at one haul was from the Springs to Omaha, but I stopped every 150 miles, I rode with a friend on a Harley and it was thirsty in the wind. My R1100R was very miserly. Thanks for the tip of staying hydrated I'll take my CamelBack now for sure. I have road pegs and I have found that to be a plus. My first long trip on the LT can't wait. As Buffett would say I am grewing older, but not up.

Last edited by Montycs; Sep 7th, 2006 at 9:16 pm.
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Monty -

Also, put your witness forms in a legal envelope and bring a separate envelope for receipts. I find it easiest to get into a routine: 1st thing you do at a stop is record the time & place on your log sheet, then get your gas or food, then immediately put these receipts in the envelope and sort them out later. I also find it handy to record the departure time from each stop - then you can figure out your overall driving time vs rest/food stops.
A trick I use is to use a small notebook as a logbook and a mini-stapler.
When I get to the gas pump, I pull out my notebook, number the page and record stop time, place, Odometer reading and GPS reading. I write the page number on the gas reciept and staple it to that page. Just before pulling out I write the re-start time and put the notebook away till next stop. Same thing with food or rest stops. Keeps everything in sequential order! I keep the notebook and witness forms in a ziplock bag to keep em dry and together. You don't need to staple the page and reciept as long as you number both to be able to match them later, but it keeps me from losing them while on the road.

Be sure your reciept's are legible enough to photocopy and have time, date and place on them. If the pump doesn't give you a good one, get another from the store clerk.

Add my 2 cents on the camelbak for water! Avoid coffee.

Carry some munchies or candy that you can get to easily to carry you till lunch or dinner. I like atomic fireballs candy as an attention getter.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:44 pm

If available do it with a partner. Someone you get along with and prefably have ridden with before the trip. Two heads are better than one.

Thanks LT Saddledance!!!! My IBA partner and Bro!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 9:38 am

Fast turnarounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
An Iron Butt ride on an LT is no contest! But if you must, quick stops at fill-up points are essential - no longer than 5 minutes. All the other posts re hydration etc are spot on. 1745 kilometers in 13 hours 28 minutes East coast to West coast of South Africa - 03 GT. Good Luck and ride safe!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Smile IBA Ride

I have completed two IBAs the SS 1000 ( 1130 miles) and the BBG 1500 ( 1512 miles). I know there are quite a few here who have done more. so I am not expert for sure. I did enjoy both rides

I concur having someone else along helps make the trip an event. We followed the IBA suggestions. No Caffine, water, I also took a few Ibuprofen, ate light also snacked on Fig Newtons, Granola bars for snacks.

Took a change of clothes along in case, extra water, cell phone, extra shield for the helmet( clear for night), we each had a GPS to track time and mileage. I copied the IBA log sheets and had a pen along, at each stop recorded the time and Odometer reading first. Gas and Go most of the time, and we took the interstates

Jpegs helped alot, as did a heated vest for the early AM and Evening portions. Moto lights helped at night to see the road and illuminate the shoulders well.

SS 1000 was 19 hours, BBG 1500 took just under 22 hours.

Richard Hansen
99 K1200LTC- Warbird- totaled April 2014

09 K1200lt. Warbird II
IBA SS1000 & BBG 1500
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

I was wondering if 19 hours was about the ride time with short catnaps on the way. With all the rain we are getting here lately, I am starting to hesitate. I do have a rider that wants to trail along, but he has a Yamaha 650 and I think that is asking alot out of that bike, plus its hardly fair to be on an LT and comfortable. I found that Jolly rancher cinnamon drops are great for long trips and Goo as well. Again everyone thanks for your tips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in