Bolt size?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Bolt size??

2002 LT - forks. There's an empty, threaded hole - looks like it'd be used to hold more fender of some kind. Anyone know off top their head what size bolt fits in there?

Look'n to put a couple 'el-cheapo' Wally-World off road lighting specials on for a few days. Trying something out...

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 5:40 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Most probably a 5 mm. That's where the RT fender attaches to.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Cool, thanks.

Off to get me some 5mm boltage and a couple smallisher washers. See if I've any hope of pull'n this off or not. If so - I'll get pics an what not up for all.

Light set I'm a look'n at is $15.00, pair o halogen 55 watters. But, looks like I may have to fabricate an alternative piece to mount these up on. Idea is it'll be something most any 'DIY' type could handle.

Cheap enough to not worry 'bout and at least, it'll offer the infamous 'Triangle' effect.

Tate

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 2:23 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Try to fit one of the torx fairing screws into the hole. If it fits, then it's an M5 x 0.8 mm thread. I have an RT fender bolted to those holes on my LT, but don't remember what size. I suppose you could also look up one of the BMW parts websites and see what it calls out for the RT.

I had the same thought about mounting some cheap lights down there just for triangulation. A custom bracket would be required, but shouldn't be difficult to make.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

M5x20 w/ .80 pitch - perfect! Fits like a glove.

Your all's understanding of these babies pays off again. I just went in and bought the stuff without checking, testing or even looking at the hole and you all nailed it perfect Yea - you got cred.

Figure I can stack one or two nuts between the bracket and the fitting on the fork. Get it all to stand out enough to clear the curvature of the fork tube. Will also allow me to 'counter tourque' things to keep 'em suggly. Add a simple, 90 degree chunk-o 'luminum and voila. Should have it.

Now, where to mount a switch...

Gonna get the lights on the way home tonite - I'll start take'n picys then.

Tate

post #6 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:53 pm

After changing the fender on my ZX-11, I used the old bolt hole to mount a set of $40 halogens. Worked out well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fork_Mount.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	6552  
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Yea! That's the idea.

Tate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in