Cost On Replacing Slave Cylinder? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Cost On Replacing Slave Cylinder?

My '02 has about 42k miles and with all this talk about Slave cylinder failure, I was wondering if anyone knew how much (approx) it costs to have it replaced as preventative maintenance. Is it significantly cheaper than having the clutch replaced too once it fails? Of course, I would have the weep hole drilled at that time. Just wondering if the savings is sufficient to merit the job?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Sep 5th, 2006 at 8:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
My '02 has about 42k miles and with all this talk about Slave cylinder failure, I was wondering if anyone knew how much (approx) it costs to have it replaced as preventative maintenance. Is it significantly cheaper than having the clutch replaced too once it fails? Of course, I would have the weep hole drilled at that time. Just wondering if the savings is sufficient to merit the job?
It is more than just significantly different!

The slave cylinder itself is about $100, with a little additional for the seals for the hydraulic lines to it, and grease for the splines. I estimate about 3 hours labor by an experienced mechanic.

The clutch on the other hand adds several hundred dollars in parts, and probably an additional 24-30 hours labor. That job usually runs $12-1400.

So, if you have the initiative to save a LOT of money later, then get the drilling done if nothing else, and since you have around 40K miles on it, go ahead and replace the slave cylinder while in there.

The hard part is finding a dealer who is progressive and knowledgeable enough to do the drilling, otherwise look for a regional tech party you can get to and get help doing it yourself.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:12 pm

I ordered the slave and the pressure line running to it for a grand total of $190.19. I expect it to be an 8 hour job for me since it will be my first attempt and I'm in no hurry. So a certified mechanic could probably bang it out in 4-5. So at normal shop rates + parts, you're looking at a $600-800 job depending on what else they find wrong up in there.

If you wait and lose the clutch, now you're looking at a $1200-1500 deal. So yes, in my way of thinking, it's worth yanking the old one and putting your mind and wallet at ease.

I put it the same catagory as our Honda Civic interference motor and the timing belt. You can pay a little money now, or a lot of money and inconvenience later.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help! Tech Session in N.C. anyone???

David,

Thanks so much for the reply. This is my first BMW, but I am learning fast. I was a service manager at an independent bike shop for years (about 20 years ago) and have a complete shop in my garage (lift included) or could secure a larger garge if needed. I have built custom bikes, engines and all sorts of repairs (allbeit, metric stuff).

I was wondering if anyone in this area might like to do a tech session for this procedure??? I could assist and Lord knows I have all the tools and such. Just about two sets of everything. Snap On Galore! How does one go about arranging a session? I am 15 miles north of Charlotte, NC. and would love to see about organizing one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
It is more than just significantly different!

The slave cylinder itself is about $100, with a little additional for the seals for the hydraulic lines to it, and grease for the splines. I estimate about 3 hours labor by an experienced mechanic.

The clutch on the other hand adds several hundred dollars in parts, and probably an additional 24-30 hours labor. That job usually runs $12-1400.

So, if you have the initiative to save a LOT of money later, then get the drilling done if nothing else, and since you have around 40K miles on it, go ahead and replace the slave cylinder while in there.

The hard part is finding a dealer who is progressive and knowledgeable enough to do the drilling, otherwise look for a regional tech party you can get to and get help doing it yourself.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in