Access to programming mode - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Access to programming mode

I am a new owner of an LT. During my annual trip last week to the Manx GP (my first long ride), I found it annoying, when riding off ferries etc, that the immobiliser had to be reset each time I needed to restart the bike. I have tried, without success to access the programming mode to change this setting. Can anyone help please.

Alan W

2004 Lt
1956 BSA Gold Star
1957 BSA Gold Star
1958 Velocette Valiant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Attached are two WORD docs for similar (but not exact) methods to changing the alarm programming. Perhaps one will do the trick.
Attached Files
File Type: doc K1200LT_AlarmProg - revised.doc (41.5 KB, 368 views)
File Type: doc K1200LTAlarmProg.doc (33.5 KB, 298 views)
post #3 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_W
I am a new owner of an LT. During my annual trip last week to the Manx GP (my first long ride), I found it annoying, when riding off ferries etc, that the immobiliser had to be reset each time I needed to restart the bike. I have tried, without success to access the programming mode to change this setting. Can anyone help please.

Alan W

2004 Lt
1956 BSA Gold Star
1957 BSA Gold Star
1958 Velocette Valiant
Alan, being in the UK, your '04 should be our '05 -- the revised model with the electric centerstand. If so, the above alarm programming docs won't work with your bike. Check your owner's manual packaet -- there should be a separate anti-theft system manual containing the proper procedure. If not, let us know and I'll dig mine out tonight.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Access to programming mode

Many thanks for your timely replies. I should have mentioned that I have the owners manual to reset the system, however I get to the stage of pressing the smooth button three times and nothing happens! Any further thoughts?

Alan W

Brit bikes - no electronics!!
post #5 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Alan,

The key is to make it deliberate, i.e. press - release - press - release - press. If you stab the button three times it won't work. Give it a try.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Attached are two WORD docs for similar (but not exact) methods to changing the alarm programming. Perhaps one will do the trick.
Thank you Joe, I've needed that too. Don Wehr.
post #7 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Alan,

The key is to make it deliberate, i.e. press - release - press - release - press. If you stab the button three times it won't work. Give it a try.
... hold the button down for about 3 secs between each key-press - the auto imobiliser is a PIITA - mine only locks now when I hit the LEFT button (Left = leave) and unlocks when I hit the right button (RIGHT = ride) - you can do all this if you RTFM

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 31 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 3:32 pm

It's easy when you get it right!

Quote:

Alan W
Hi Alan,
Went and found this for you as posted last week - I followed these instructions (a few times) but got it right eventually. What a pleasure without having to "push the button" and your bike makes a nice sound when you arm and disarm it! -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BToliver
I'm a proud new owner of a 2006 K1200LT...... I've searched the archives looking for a way to disable the immobilizer feature where I can start without using the button on the key fob. Anyway around this??

The '06 programming procedure is at pages 24-28 of the "Supplementary Rider's Manual," subtitle "DWA AntiTheft Alarm 5." Follow the 7 steps on page 26 to set the options shown on page 27. Set option 5 (automatic immobilization on iginition off) to "off". Pretty straight-forward; I found it easier to do than the prior generation systems with the ground wire, etc.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #9 of 31 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Still no access to programming mode

[FONT=Arial Black]Hi all - well I've tried holding buttons for 3 seconds and 5 seconds, I have read and re-read the drivers manual, I have talked nicely to it and I' ve cursed it. I still cannot access the programming mode. Woolly, please explain what PIITA and RTFM mean - this may be the key to everything! Thanks for all your efforts so far - any more ideas gratefully received.

Alan W

ps-I've tried both fobs.

pps-looks like a trip to the dealer, at BMW prices!!

Old Brit bikes, no electronics, no choices, the simple life.
post #10 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:54 pm

No Programming Mode

I think i'm in the same boat as Alan. I have a US 06 model. I have tried so many time to set the programing mode that I had to replace the battery in the remote.. On page 13 section 6 of theSupplementary Riders manual (Anti-thest alarm system DWA 6) it says:

Initiating programming

1 Deactivate alarm done
2 Ignition on done
3 Press button 1 3x done (tried pressing, press and hold for 3 sec and for 5 seconds) (no 1x ack tone, nothing)
4 Ignition on done
5 Press button 2 3x done (no 1x tone, nothing)
6 Switch to off done (no 3x tone, nothing)

Programming
1 conf beep following arm/disarm pressed button 1 (on)
2 not in use pressed button 1
3 Alarm tone type pressed button 2 (inter)
4 Auto arming of alarm functino with ignition off Pressed button 2 (off)

END PROGRAMING
Switched ignition off.

NADA ZIP it still does the same thing. After 20 seconds or so i have to press button #1 on the key fob (smooth button) to allow the bike to start.

it's annoying... HELP
post #11 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:26 pm

The manual is useless in this area. I also have the same problem with the imobilizer. In desperation I put the fob on a ring on the outside of my jacket.
post #12 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:11 am

Two things

1. Since the previous responder didn't answer you yet, "PITA" = "pain in the a$$", and "RTFM" = "read the f****** manual", or (G-rated) = "read the fine manual". At least he included the smiley emoticon to show you he wasn't peeved.

2. I agree with others that the programming sequence in the manual does work as written, but it was tough to find just the right sequence -- in my experience -- to make it work as shown. I had to find the right cadence (time between button presses) and length of button press, if that makes sense. Once that was determined I can reprogram at will. The first time I went into the programming sequence it took way too long to figure it out and I was very glad to turn off the auto immobilizer option.

FWIW ("for what it's worth" ) I have a garage door opener keypad on the outside of my garage. It's a real PITA to get to work. Everyone else but me walks up to it, enters the code, and the door goes up. It takes me 4-8 tries almost every time to make it work. Occasionally it works the first time. I have NO idea why. I think it hates me.

Good luck.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:13 am

Must move quickly!

I reprogrammed my new 06' LT last week due to the same problem. Each time I shut it off, it would arm itself. After reading carefully the manual word for word, I discovered that you have to follow the whole sequence in steps very quickly. That is, you have to hit all the buttons within 10 seconds, or else it didn't register. I don't know if you're particular model has this same requirement. But once I hit all the buttons within 10 seconds, then I was able to deactivate and reprogram the whole system. There is a chart in the manual on five different things you want activiated or not, and then you'll press the 1st or 2nd button on the remote. Just read the manual carefully word for word, and it should work for you. It took me many trys before I realized you had to do it within 10 seconds. Good luck.
Les,
post #14 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:10 pm

Quote:
[FONT=Arial Black]Hi all - well I've tried holding buttons for 3 seconds and 5 seconds, I have read and re-read the drivers manual, I have talked nicely to it and I' ve cursed it. I still cannot access the programming mode. Woolly, please explain what PIITA and RTFM mean - this may be the key to everything! Thanks for all your efforts so far - any more ideas gratefully received.

Alan W

ps-I've tried both fobs.
pps-looks like a trip to the dealer, at BMW prices!!

Old Brit bikes, no electronics, no choices, the simple life.
Hi Alan, sorry bout the delay in replying - Howard explained the abbrv's beutifully, but, as wos quoted, you have to follow the additional manual instructions to the letter, and timing & length of key presses is vitally important. It took me bout 4 goes before I could get it set the way I wanted it - and I'm meant 2 b good at this type of thing!!

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #15 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:12 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile What Happens to your Settings After Battery Change ?

I can relate totally to this thread.
But how did Don's Speedo go " Never, Never Give Up" (thanks WC)
Just a thought though, after achieving this heady goal and the required programming mode is set, what happens after say disconnecting the battery for farkle additions to this mode. I know about the throttle reset, but does the alarm mode revert to a default, and so have to be reset ? TIA

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #16 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 3:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
what happens after say disconnecting the battery for farkle additions to this mode. I know about the throttle reset, but does the alarm mode revert to a default, and so have to be reset ? TIA
whilst in Norway recently, I had to disconnect my battery, as my sound system got 'confused'. After 30 mins, reconnected it and sound system OK and alarm system did NOT revert to it's default setting (which I was very pleased about). I know the alarm system has it's own internal battery - this must maintain the user settings whilst no external power is applied.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #17 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:43 am

Flashing Red Dash Light

Well I have successfully worn out 2 more remote batteries. The only thing I have been able to change is the number of time the RED light on the dash flashed when I finish the programing mode and turn the ignition off. I get 1 blink, 2 blinks, 7 blinks and once got 9 blinks. I have yet to be able to get a confirmation beep or tone from any part of the bike. Oh and once or twice it seemed to set the lock/unlock for the bags to a positive second click on the beeper to get the bags to lock or unlock. I think later today after the neighbors are all up will see if it's possible to set off the alarm by moving the bike. Who knows, maybe the entire alarm system isn"t !
post #18 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am

Lightbulb Are you maintaining the ground connection?

I switched from Mode A to Mode B myself yesterday on my 2003 LTC, and after an hour to find the stinking programming plug (it was completely concealed and wrapped in tape to the harness under the right frame tube), it then took me a long time and several attempts (including setting off the ear-piercing alarm 2x) to discover:

WHEN YOU FIRST GROUND THE PROGRAMMING PLUG, KEEP IT CONNECTED TO GROUND UNTIL YOU GET THE CONFIRMATION BEEPS!

I was just shorting it to ground momentarily, which did not work!
post #19 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:22 am

No Alarm

Well I tried it. I had alarm set, key off and on the center stand. I rocked the bike off the center stand, nothing. I shook the bike violently side to side and then locked down on the front brake and did a front to rear shake, NOTHING, not a squeak, moan, or beep. I turned the ignition on and the bike wouldn't start. I pressed the smooth button on the key FOB, then tried it and she started right up ! I think it's time to drop her off at the BMW shop and tell them fix it along with calling the BMW 1-800 number. I'm still waiting on the GPS III unit which the dealer was unable to give me any information on yesterday other than well I'm sure they will send it. That isn't what you want to hear when you paid cash and have the title in hand on a new bike.
post #20 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 4:43 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Still No Joy

I know, " If at first you don't succeed ~~~~~ "
This thing will not defeat me !
Ah, technology is a many splendid thing
Looking on the bright side:
My two key fobs still have battery power.
The LED on the instrument pannel still knows there are two fobs. 2 blinks
And even better, the alarm still knows it's an alarm.
Do have to shake the bike loads to activate it, but it does go off. Sorry to hear about the last post.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #21 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman
Well I tried it. I had alarm set, key off and on the center stand. I rocked the bike off the center stand, nothing. I shook the bike violently side to side and then locked down on the front brake and did a front to rear shake, NOTHING, not a squeak, moan, or beep. I turned the ignition on and the bike wouldn't start. I pressed the smooth button on the key FOB, then tried it and she started right up ! I think it's time to drop her off at the BMW shop and tell them fix it along with calling the BMW 1-800 number. I'm still waiting on the GPS III unit which the dealer was unable to give me any information on yesterday other than well I'm sure they will send it. That isn't what you want to hear when you paid cash and have the title in hand on a new bike.
Are you sre you set the alarm? The immobilizer is automatic and will be active with out setting the alarm (until you program it off). When the alarm sets you will hear chirps and see the parking/tail lamps flash. If you then turn on the key the alarm will sound.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Very Interesting

Ok I been throught a couple of more key FOB batteries but did find out if i press the left # 1 ribbed button once it locks the the bags. If I press it a second time which is supposed to deactivate the motion sensior I only get two (2) turn signal flashes. However if I press it a THIRD time I get the 3 each alarm beeps. Well at least i'm getting a beep thats a first for me!
The original move on this entire thing was to disable the immobilizer
post #23 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well that's a new one on the third push. Must be they made yet another change in the alarm since the 05 model. I get the chirp and lights on the second push. Though I have never tried a third one, guess I will and see what happens.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #24 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:25 pm

I sorted my 2005 bout 9 months ago - I've got Left button (=LEAVE (the bike)) 1st press = central locking, 2nd press imobiliser & alarm and 2 squeaks from alarm, Right button = RIDE - imobiliser off, alarm off, and all bags unlocked and 1 squeak from alarm. Took a while to do it - remember 2-3 sec keypresses whilst programming. It can be done, but I would not like to waste that much time again.

• MB SLK 350 MT

Last edited by Woolly; Sep 24th, 2006 at 6:32 pm.
post #25 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:45 pm

This is starting to scare me. NO TWO alarm systems seem to be the same !
post #26 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Quote:
I humbly believe only 2 different types - before M.Y. 2005 you needed a programing key (can't recall which year exactly), after that, it could be done only using the keyfob (even though it's not that straightforward).

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #27 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I don't see a problem here. After all, how many alarms system are on your LT?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #28 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
BTW there are at least three alarm types. My '99 had a button on the dash and an inductive key you could press there to disable the alarm. My '02 doesn't have the inductive key or button, just an alarm fob. And the '05 and up don't have the programming pin as already mentioned.

It's the way of gradual engineering improvement, where updates are phased in over the years.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #29 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ken,

Based on above, it appears there are now four! One that has three arming options.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #30 of 31 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Immobilizer is immoblized!

Well I finally got it resolved. Had to make a quick stop by BOB's BMW on the way out of town to have the 7 1/2 amp headlight fuse replaced?? I ask the tech to try it.. on the 4th try he got it programmed. Now I can throw the key FOB away ..wheeeeeeeeeeeee
post #31 of 31 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Well I finally got it resolved. Had to make a quick stop by BOB's BMW on the way out of town to have the 7 1/2 amp headlight fuse replaced?? I ask the tech to try it.. on the 4th try he got it programmed. Now I can throw the key FOB away ..wheeeeeeeeeeeee
Don't throw that away! Next time the battery is disconneted you'll be back to square one. Keep it with your american express card. Don't leave home without it. LOL

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in