Pending purchase of '03 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:36 am Thread Starter

Question Pending purchase of '03 LT

Hello all,

I'm (hopefully) about one week away from joining this fraternity, so I'm spending lots of hours soaking up all the wisdom I can glean from these forums. I'm instantly impressed by the community behind the LT that I've never sensed with any other motorcycle.

At this point I've whittled down the market to one bike for sale at a dealer 2 hrs away: '03 LT-C with 15k mi, a left side drop with some scuffs on the front & rear bumpers, the CB package (possibly full-blown ComSys but not sure yet), asking $12.5k.

I'm compiling a list of things to check for pre-sale to make sure I don't blow my budget on the bike, only to have major out-of-pocket expenses that I will then not be able to afford. I'm a little concerned that I'm rolling the dice with the rear drive failure, clutch slave cylinder failure and rear gasket failure. Pretty much everything I've seen is "buckle your chin strap and cross your fingers."

Is there any kind of list of preventive measures that's been compiled? (I've searched forums and read FAQs already). For example, is it worth removing the clutch slave cylinder and drilling that hole *before* the seal fails? Should I put some hi-temp caulking or heat-shrink tubing on the clutch banjo fitting that may be prone to rusting? Doesn't sound like there's anything to do about rear drive failure except keep a good relationship with the dealer in case you need a favor re: warranty coverage.

My wife is, sadly, not as enthusiastic about motorcycling as I am...I will probably hear about every dollar spent on maintenance instead of the college fund, etc. So I'm hoping to minimize those dollars through preventive maintenance and as much of my own wrench-turning as I can handle.

TIA everyone,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:05 am

Thumbs up Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnicks
Hello all,

I'm (hopefully) about one week away from joining this fraternity, so I'm spending lots of hours soaking up all the wisdom I can glean from these forums. I'm instantly impressed by the community behind the LT that I've never sensed with any other motorcycle.

At this point I've whittled down the market to one bike for sale at a dealer 2 hrs away: '03 LT-C with 15k mi, a left side drop with some scuffs on the front & rear bumpers, the CB package (possibly full-blown ComSys but not sure yet), asking $12.5k.

I'm compiling a list of things to check for pre-sale to make sure I don't blow my budget on the bike, only to have major out-of-pocket expenses that I will then not be able to afford. I'm a little concerned that I'm rolling the dice with the rear drive failure, clutch slave cylinder failure and rear gasket failure. Pretty much everything I've seen is "buckle your chin strap and cross your fingers."

Is there any kind of list of preventive measures that's been compiled? (I've searched forums and read FAQs already). For example, is it worth removing the clutch slave cylinder and drilling that hole *before* the seal fails? Should I put some hi-temp caulking or heat-shrink tubing on the clutch banjo fitting that may be prone to rusting? Doesn't sound like there's anything to do about rear drive failure except keep a good relationship with the dealer in case you need a favor re: warranty coverage.

My wife is, sadly, not as enthusiastic about motorcycling as I am...I will probably hear about every dollar spent on maintenance instead of the college fund, etc. So I'm hoping to minimize those dollars through preventive maintenance and as much of my own wrench-turning as I can handle.

TIA everyone,

Dave
ASK your dealer the "new purchase date" of the '03 LT you're looking to purchase. I didn't do that. That date will tell you if the warranty is still in effect. 3 years from that date. I'm seriuosly thinking of extending the warranty on my '03 LT.

Take your wife a ride and I'll bet she changes her opinion of this bike. It's like none other.

Good luck and happy riding after you close the deal. You won't be sorry.

Just my .02 worth!

Here is an early Welcometo this community!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnicks
----------- For example, is it worth removing the clutch slave cylinder and drilling that hole *before* the seal fails?
YES, if you are willing to do the work to get to it. Many dealers won't do it, but the more "outside the book" knowledgeable ones will.
Quote:
Should I put some hi-temp caulking or heat-shrink tubing on the clutch banjo fitting that may be prone to rusting?
That is not a really common problem, but anything that will prevent rust would do, there are spray products on the market that would work, or just lightly coat it with a heavy grease.
Quote:
Doesn't sound like there's anything to do about rear drive failure except keep a good relationship with the dealer in case you need a favor re: warranty coverage.
Pretty much correct. There is no preventive maintenance that helps. See if the dealer will make you a decent deal on an extened service contract.[quote]

Quote:
With a service manual, reasonable mechanical aptitude, and the HUGE amount of help available here, you can do as much as you want to. Check into local "service parties" held around the country, where you can learn a LOT just by watching.

TIA everyone,

Dave

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:38 am

Pinnacle seems to be one of the top-rated xtended warranty providers. The dealer SHOULD cut you a bit of a deal. I only got the $70 admin fee removed, but I didn't press him too hard.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in