Split Hand Grips? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Split Hand Grips?

Has anyone out there encountered the problem of OEM rubber hand grips splitting? I've talked to the local BMW dealership and they tell me that in order to change the grip(s) you also have to change out the wiring harness for the heated grip as well. I thought I'd tap the vast knowledge you gentlemen possess and see what other ideas, workarounds are out there. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Scott

2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock."
Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm

It's been reported that BMW part # 32 72 2 332 619 is the # for a left hand grip. The left hand grip is supposed to work on both right and left sides. As I remember (?) they were about $12.00 each. If the originals are _carefully_ removed, the new ones can be slipped on with grip cement. This info should be found in the archives if you search long enough, although I still have a tough time with that section of the board. d.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Just cut the old rubber from the grips with care not to cut the heating elements and install new rubber. No problem. Do search on grips and you will find something. The grip part #'s are out there in the archives.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 6:38 am

3 possible fixes.
1) Replace the entire thing as dealer suggested. Very expensive and the grip will just split again. Would only do this if the heating element is broken on one or the other.
If the heating elements are still working:
2) Tape using tennis handle tape. Works really well and provides for a larger more comfortable grip. Replace annually or as needed.
3) Cut off the rubber part as mentioned above, being careful not to damage the heating element. Slip a replacement grip over the bar. If you buy after market ones, you'll need to buy 2 sets and use the larger right grip on both sides (if they are logo'd then the left one will be upside down). If you don't glue them, they can slide off over time.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:25 am

Thumbs up

I just replaced mine with BMW part # 32 72 2 332 619 is the # for a left hand grip and glued them in place using Honda Grip Cement. Took me three times to get the right grip to stay. I did not want to make a mess and also make the grip too hard to remove in the future. Third time was the charm. The grips are maybe 3/8 to 1/4 inch shorter. You really don't notice that unless you look carefully before you remove the old ones. So far a am very happy. Just did not have the money to spend on other options at this time.

Mitch Tucker
2002 K1200LTC
1989 K100RS (Needing engine replaced)
1994 FXR, S&S 113
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone, you've been a great help. Appreciate all the advise and part numbers.

Scott

2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock."
Will Rogers
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 17th, 2006, 9:10 am

Smile Take a look at 'Grip Puppies'

Scott, might be worth you taking a look at a set of grip puppies that might slide on over your original split grip, much comfier, easy to fit and cheap! Several threads on the site - the guys at California sport touring are excelent, even posted over here to UK for me - I love them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in