Hydraulic Clutch System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Hydraulic Clutch System

My clutch system is being replaced because it developed a leak and would not hold the clutch fully disengaged all of the time.

I was told that the slave cylinder failed and contaminated the system and both the slave and master would need to be replaced.

Parts and Labor are around $1400 nic tax.

Has anyone experienced a simular problem and what were the costs. I was surprised on how expensive the repair is.

Thanks

Stevea2980
99 Klt Canyon Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980
My clutch system is being replaced because it developed a leak and would not hold the clutch fully disengaged all of the time.

I was told that the slave cylinder failed and contaminated the system and both the slave and master would need to be replaced.

Has anyone experienced a simular problem and what were the costs. I was surprised on how expensive the repair is.

Thanks

Stevea2980
99 Klt Canyon Red
Yep, Steve - pretty labor intensive project. Price is right in line with what I paid at Rhinewest for Toad's clutch goin' south!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	6403  
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Yes...sadly. may have experienced the same problem. It is recommended that the slave cylinder be changed out at 40K miles or so and that a drain hole be drilled in the slave cylinder mounting area to let any leaking fluid drain out instead of contaminating the clutch.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Sorry to hear about this. What is the milage? Is the dealer/shop going to drill the drain hole mentioned in the other posts?
Denny
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:51 am

Is this just to repair the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yep, Steve - pretty labor intensive project. Price is right in line with what I paid at Rhinewest for Toad's clutch goin' south!
Hi dick, that photo, is this what's necessary to repair the clutch? I've just posted similar thread (clutch gave up in traffic) My repair will be under warranty, but this looks like open heart surgery!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 7:40 am

Same here. Dealer quoted $1400-1500, but the bill was "only" $1200.

Jamie Kiel
2002 K1200LT Silver
2005 Harley Davidson Springer Classic
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
Hi dick, that photo, is this what's necessary to repair the clutch? I've just posted similar thread (clutch gave up in traffic) My repair will be under warranty, but this looks like open heart surgery!
Hi, Allen -

Other than a clip or two in previous threads on this subject, this seems to be just about by the book for a repair of the clutch plates and whatever else 'should' be done at the same time. In the shop manual, I believe there are pix of the procedure, with regards to hoisting the rear of the bike to effect the necessary removal of adjacent parts and 'in-the-path' parts.

Here's a rear-end shot to add to the mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0087.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	6414  
post #8 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 8:16 am

Quote:

Thanks

Stevea2980
99 Klt Canyon Red
Slave and CLUTCH have to be replaced, very strange that they would replace the master cylinder. Never heard of that before, especially since the master cylinder can be rebuilt with new seals for a very small fraction of the cost of a new one.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:50 am

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Steve. I am going to be doing the preventative replacement of that slave and pressure line this week. Also will be doing the drillout of the housing. The LT is a fine machine, but the engineers responsible for the rear drive and clutch actuation were a bit misguided.

BTW, for those in the know, what is the expected life expectancy of the clutch under normal conditions (no trailering/50% city/50% Interstate)? At 40K miles, would it be worthwhile to replace the clutch plates while I'm in there, or do I have another 60K to go?
post #10 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Steve. I am going to be doing the preventative replacement of that slave and pressure line this week. Also will be doing the drillout of the housing. The LT is a fine machine, but the engineers responsible for the rear drive and clutch actuation were a bit misguided.

BTW, for those in the know, what is the expected life expectancy of the clutch under normal conditions (no trailering/50% city/50% Interstate)? At 40K miles, would it be worthwhile to replace the clutch plates while I'm in there, or do I have another 60K to go?
I haven't heard of anyone that had the clutch wear out under 'normal' conditions.. with or without a trailer. Almost all or the vast majority have been replaced after a slave cylinder leak. From what I understand 40k may be a little premature.. recommendation is 60K.

If your replacing the slave cylinder and doing the clutch while your in there is like a doctor saying while I'm doing your appendix let's do heart bypass surgery...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Allen -

Other than a clip or two in previous threads on this subject, this seems to be just about by the book for a repair of the clutch plates and whatever else 'should' be done at the same time. In the shop manual, I believe there are pix of the procedure, with regards to hoisting the rear of the bike to effect the necessary removal of adjacent parts and 'in-the-path' parts.

Here's a rear-end shot to add to the mix.
Yes Dick, you're absolutely right. Went to visit the patient at the dealer's workshop today. All it needed was a bullet through the headlight to put it out of its' misery! It seems that the only things that they haven't disassembled are the two valve covers on the tires!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
Went to visit the patient at the dealer's workshop today. All it needed was a bullet through the headlight to put it out of its' misery! It seems that the only things that they haven't disassembled are the two valve covers on the tires!
Allen,

I feel your pain! Mine is in the shop for the same thing. I had to go there today to get some paperwork out of the top case. The mechanic told me that he "ran into a few problems" and had to order more parts. I can't wait to get this repair bill. I had my .45 with me (never leave home without it!) and seriously thought about the "horse with a broken leg" scenerio. But then I'd have a LT with a broken clutch AND a gunshot wound!

Hey...ya gotta laugh. It was 72 degrees and sunny most of the day...I could have been riding.

Dave

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:35 am

How long does a clutch last? Well, if you ride like me, about 15,000 miles. I had to have the clutch replaced on my 2004 LT this summer. Originally thought it would be a warranty issue, but on inspection the dealer said I burned it up. Kiss that $1400 good-bye. So I believe the saying should be: Ride it like you stole it... and you'll burn up the clutch!

Sorry, I'm still a little bitter, but my therapist says this too will pass.

Still love the bike, even though when I wanted to go for a ride Labor day with my GW riding buddy, I found the battery was dead. No warning, just died in 3 days time.

I may be too negative to keep posting. Just let me know.

Steve

2004 LT "make me an offer"
post #14 of 19 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Unhappy Mine is in the shop too!

Hey...ya gotta laugh. It was 72 degrees and sunny most of the day...I could have been riding.

Dave

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes Dave, mine is in the shop too. ('03 final drive)Nice riding weather. My only out is to ride my wife's little 250cc Honda Reflex scooter. LOL That's almost better than nothing.

Gotta do what ya gotta do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #15 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Great Info

Thx guys for sharing your clutch info.

I dont think I have heard much complaining about this system going down so it was a suprise to me.

My "Honda" riding buddies are giving me a bad time about our great German Engineering.

I made it home ok with the bad clutch and two years ago had to cut short the first WCR because of a "Rear Drive" failure.

Both times though I made it home LOL. I do have recorded what a bad bearing sounds like on DVD since I had been running my video recorder on that WCR trip. It is really noticable on Video.

Note that I have +44K miles on my 99 Klt and treat the bike to an "Annual Inspection" just like I would be required to if it were an airplane. Maybe I should start to do 100 Hour inpections. That would really drive up the maintance costs me thinks LOL.

Later

Stevea2980
post #16 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Thx guys for sharing your clutch info.

I dont think I have heard much complaining about this system going down so it was a suprise to me.

---------------------------
Stevea2980
You have been here since 2002, but evidently only occasionally read posts. This has been a BIG discussion topic here, with threads started about it several times a year.

If you do a search for "slave cylinder" you will find more than you want to try and read. And that is just for slave cylinder failures taking out the clutch. There are more, not as many though, about either transmission seal or engine oil seal failures also taking out the clutch.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #17 of 19 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Ok...I went to visit my bike at the dealer again today. He told me that it was a 10 hour job to do the clutch and slave when I dropped it off. He started working on it Tuesday, and today he hasn't even got it apart yet. He said he's got 13 hours into it already. It seems that the bearings that are installed in the swing arm are frozen in place. He's tried heat and drilling around the permeter of the bearing with no success.

He said that he's close to getting them out, and the new ones had to be ordered from Germany.

Sorry for the rant...just a little frustrated.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 1:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Had one clutch replaced on my '02 at 35K. They couldn't find an obvious leak, so I reluctantly paid the $1,400. Just replaced that clutch at 86K due to a rear main engine seal leak. They tech said the clutch disk showed some wear, but not very much, and if not for the oil contamination he would have put it back in. Both pressure plate sides showed serious heat discoloration due to riding with a slipping clutch for several thousand miles. That bill was $1,800, but they did replace all tranny seals, flush the coolant, and removed and cleaned the starter and fuel injectors.

Yet another reason to go with a GT and its multi-plate wet clutch, preferably before the servo ABS unit fails.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 19 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Wink Time on Boards

Dave:

Your correct about my visiting the board. I try to keep up with postings but sometimes I have a couple of weeks in between visits.

A couple of years ago I was reading every day to stay on top of things. I probably should have done a search as you suggest.

I must be getting slow in my old age. (I just took early retirement at 55 -LOL)

Later

Stevea2980

Last edited by stevea2980; Sep 8th, 2006 at 11:26 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in