Help needed, radio died after washing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:05 am
jswag13

Question Help needed, radio died after washing

I did a detailed washing about 2 weeks ago, and now my radio is dead. In addition, my MotoLights are also not functioning. I pulled the radio fuse, (block B, fuse 8) and read voltage on the hot terminal. The fuse tests good... Does anyone have any idea what I could check next to affect a repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would guess the radio problem is due to water leaking by the buttons on the control element (panel). If it hasn't dried out naturally you may have to pull the control element, open it, and clean and dry it with contact cleaner. The control element requires a T9 to open. Would hurt to apply dielectric grease to the connectors while you're in there.

Of course in order to remove the radio you must take off the side fairings, etc. Fortunately there are several great sets of instructions on how to do this here on this site. I don't have the link off hand but search on 'radio removal' or such should pop them up.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 4:46 pm
jswag13

next step?

Well, I took the whole thing apart... Removed the plastic, pulled the stingray, opened up the radio, checked the 10amp fuse in the back of the radio, unplugged and cleaned all of the connections both in the front and in the back. I also left the battery unplugged for an hour and a half and tried to reset the unit that way. I still have power at the fuse under the passenger seat, but no lights whatsoever on the control panel. Absolutely nothing happens when I try and power on the unit.

If anyone has any possible suggestions for how to proceed from here, I'm a fairly desparate man and would be open to them! It's great to have this community as a resource. For now I think I'll take a break, as the last several hours have been frustrating to an extreme.

Thanks again for all your help, both past and present.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 4:11 pm
jswag13

What to replace?

Can anyone that's had expereince with this type of problem let me know which item needs to be replaced? I'm not sure whether to buy a new head unit or a new control unit. After taking everything apart, there is absolutely nothing that shows any sign of water or even dampness. I notice that they are both fairly expensive, and for the life of me I can't figure out what's busted.

If I remember correctly, I think I got really stupid and sprayed water under the seat (with the seat up) in the battery compartment to get rid of some of the road dust in there. I'm guessing that was probably my downfall.

Also, if anyone has a radio or control unit for sale, I'm in the market to buy one.

thanks!

Jim
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 4:14 pm
jswag13

P.s.

The motolights work great if you hook up both the negative and the positive cables... Initially I thought the failures were related. Sorry if this confused the situation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in