Re-do / Re-new front seat foam - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Re-do / Re-new front seat foam

I have an 03 LT and am thinking about "Firming Up" the front seat. I don't want to change the look or the seat height (I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam). I am never quite flat footed and don't want to make it worse.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:11 am

Since I didn't want to go all out for a custom saddle (tried that before at $700 and no love), I took the suggestion of another board member and had a layer of memory foam installed in my saddle. Oregon Aero only charged $175, my seat looks original, retained the heater, and excellent service. Since I am a pilot and have been to their facility, I trusted them with my saddle. This won't make it a 1000 mi/day saddle, but it's better.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p86_2001.html#motorcycles
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

thanks

I will look into them this winter.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 3:18 pm

Please make sure you post your results. My '03 saddle is getting a little flat and not wanting to invest $$$$ I was thinking of having the thing rebuilt. Actually, I was just thinking of taking it off and going to a local upholstery shop. Why couldn't they do the job? Or maybe one that specializes in auto upholstery.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
Please make sure you post your results. My '03 saddle is getting a little flat and not wanting to invest $$$$ I was thinking of having the thing rebuilt. Actually, I was just thinking of taking it off and going to a local upholstery shop. Why couldn't they do the job? Or maybe one that specializes in auto upholstery.
An good auto upholstery shop could certainly handle the project but I'd rather use someone who specializes in m/c seats. They have a better understanding of our needs.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 1:34 am

I had a auto upholsterer redo my seat - remove cover and BMW foam and replace with layers of higher density foams. A big improvement over stock though probably not as good as a custom seat.
I've done several 1000 mile days on it.
Only cost about $60.
It helped that the guy that did it was a long time bike rider. Moto Guzzi though. Claimed to have done lots of BMW seats.
Check they understand the heater element before they start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in