Help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Help!

Help, I just did a 36K service on a friends K12LT and it wants to die when you come to a stop. Like the idle needs to be set up?? I did not do any thing to the throttle cables or any thing to the injector setting?? In fact the only thing that any thing to do with fuel is that I changed the fuel filter?? Any Thoughts??

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:30 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Check vacuum lines.
pinched vent hose from fule lines
pinched fuel line

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:43 pm

Put the filter on in the correct direction of fuel flow?

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
Help, I just did a 36K service on a friends K12LT and it wants to die when you come to a stop. Like the idle needs to be set up?? I did not do any thing to the throttle cables or any thing to the injector setting?? In fact the only thing that any thing to do with fuel is that I changed the fuel filter?? Any Thoughts??
Couple of quick questions, Bill.

What year model LT?

After it dies at the stop, does it start right back up and then die at the next stop?? Or does it play hard to start? And does it run fine as long as you're not stopped?

Did you have the battery dis-connected for any reason? If so, maybe try the *key on; twist the throttle to wide open and return - twice*. Then, start the engine and ride around the block. This resets the TPS (throttle position sensor).

If you changed the fuel filter, then you removed the gas tank and like Raffy suggested, check for those lines that run near the tank. Gonna be removing tupperware again, butt first - open the gas cap and listen for any 'whooshing' sound. If none, then I'd retrace my fuel filter install, hoping that you didn't just fill the tank full!! (Question to myself - what happens if the fuel filter direction of flow arrow is backasswards??).

Hope it's an easy fix, Bill. The big boyz'll be on here in a bit and gitcha rollin', I'm sure. Good luck.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 6:25 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Couple of quick questions, Bill.

What year model LT?

After it dies at the stop, does it start right back up and then die at the next stop?? Or does it play hard to start? And does it run fine as long as you're not stopped?

it starts but idles slow and a little rough

Did you have the battery dis-connected for any reason? If so, maybe try the *key on; twist the throttle to wide open and return - twice*. Then, start the engine and ride around the block. This resets the TPS (throttle position sensor).

Yes I service the battery , water level and charged

If you changed the fuel filter, then you removed the gas tank and like Raffy suggested, check for those lines that run near the tank. Gonna be removing tupperware again, butt first - open the gas cap and listen for any 'whooshing' sound. If none, then I'd retrace my fuel filter install, hoping that you didn't just fill the tank full!! (Question to myself - what happens if the fuel filter direction of flow arrow is backasswards??).

The fuel lines under the tank were set up male female and female male.

Hope it's an easy fix, Bill. The big boyz'll be on here in a bit and gitcha rollin', I'm sure. Good luck.
Thank you I will let everyone know as soon as I get it fixed..

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #6 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
----------------------- (Question to myself - what happens if the fuel filter direction of flow arrow is backasswards??).
Most pleated filters have the fluid flowing from the outside of the pleats in so that the support tube keeps the filter material from collapsing. If the filter is reversed, the fluid flowing from inside out may collapse the pleats to the outside of the filter can. Also, pressure from inside out can blow the end caps of the filter material loose and allow bypass.

This will not likely happen with a new filter as there is so little resistance to flow, and the flow rate of fuel is not that great, but if the filter starts to get a little dirty it could happen.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
New input...I've done the TPC reset "Key on- throttle wide open return to close- twice" no change. BUT let me describe what's happening.... Going down the road "pull the clutch in drop the throttle it dies instantly regardless of RPM. To re-phrase as soon as you pull the clutch in and let go of the throttle it dies"????

The bike run hard no hesitation and idles at 850 fine..

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #8 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 8:00 pm

Quote:
New input...I've done the TPC reset "Key on- throttle wide open return to close- twice" no change. BUT let me describe what's happening.... Going down the road "pull the clutch in drop the throttle it dies instantly regardless of RPM. To re-phrase as soon as you pull the clutch in and let go of the throttle it dies"????

Bill - I think your idle speed is about 200 rpm lower than it should be. I certainly don't understand why it would idle fine, but shut down when you release the throttle after pulling in the clutch. I gotta get outta the way on this one and listen to the gurus. Hope you get lucky!!
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 8:44 pm

Quote:

That sounds like what my old Dirge Pick up likes to do. I run some fuel cleaner through it and it does better. I think it's a problem with gunk in the injectors. Can't say if that is your problem, but it might be worth a try.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #10 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Bill - I think your idle speed is about 200 rpm lower than it should be. I certainly don't understand why it would idle fine, but shut down when you release the throttle after pulling in the clutch. I gotta get outta the way on this one and listen to the gurus. Hope you get lucky!!
If it is idling at 850, that is a sign of a problem. It should idle 950-1050 RPM. If it hunts at idle, it is probably a vacuum line off. If it never tries to idle higher than 850, then your throttle positioner has become unplugged, or has failed. The idle is electrically controlled by the Motronic, by a little electric stepper motor. You can see it at the rear of the throttle rail, above the injectors.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:00 pm

Just thought of something for you to try. Put it in reverse and try backing up. If the idle does not go up, then your throttle positioner is not working.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage
"then your throttle positioner has become unplugged, or has failed."

Ok help me out here, where do I find the plug and or test the positioner???

We when back through everything today and did not find any thing wrong (???), fuel filter is correct, lines didn't appear to be pinched, etc. When on and did a canisterectomy while we were in her.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 10:13 pm

Quote:
"then your throttle positioner has become unplugged, or has failed."

Ok help me out here, where do I find the plug and or test the positioner???

We when back through everything today and did not find any thing wrong (???), fuel filter is correct, lines didn't appear to be pinched, etc. When on and did a canisterectomy while we were in her.
Try my later post suggestion, see if the idle goes up when you use reverse.

Here is the service manual page on the throttle actuator.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Throttle actuator.pdf (193.4 KB, 277 views)

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in