Serious Clean of the LT - use of ScratchX - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Serious Clean of the LT - use of ScratchX

After 5 years and 100,000 miles, I'm going to give the old girl a proper clean next week as I have a few days off. I have of course given it the occasional wash and even paid pro's to do a proper job. The Canyon Red still comes up looking OK at these times, but not pristine.

I have noticed one result of my non-fastidious cleaning.....there are marks from bug hits dotted all over the front of bike that don't clean properly off. Now, I have used all types of cleaners in hot/cpld solutions + spray on e.g. Plexus and Windex to no avail. These marks remain, albeit fairly faint.

I tried on a section Meguiars "ScratchX" today. On the small section it worked really well and removed the bug marks without dulling the lustre at all. Looks OK at this point for all the paintwork (not the screen of course). Because of poor light conditions (its fairly dark here in Philly today with rain started), I can't be 100% on the use of this product, so I am asking if anyone has had experience with it and if so, were you happy?

BTW, if its OK, afterwards, I'm going to use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax to put a final coat on. The old girl won't know what hit her!

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:09 pm

I would use the paint clay thing first before Scratch-X. It gets the bugs off and is not as abrasive. Scratch-X is pretty good however.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:29 pm

Thumbs up 6 drops of Basic H

6 drops of Basic H in a 1 1/2 pint hand sprayer/squirter works great on bugs. Squirt it on and wait 60 seconds and the bugs come right off.

Basic H ( a Shaklee product:: a $10 bottle will out last 2500 bottles of Windex)

It makes water Super Wet and has no harsh chemicals.............IE earth friendly. They use it on ship decks and just flush it into the ocean with NO ill effects on fish, etc.

I even use a 3 drop solution on my shield. Been doing it for almost 6 months and haven't noticed any peeling.

Just my .02 worth.

Heck, I even use it to soften my beard when I shave. It' cheap and it works. I also use 6 drops added to my windshield washer fuid on my Van. Makes the water a sheet instead of big drops. It has lots of safe uses.

I won't sell it to you, but you can search the net for a close Shaklee distributor that will give you a sample to try.

Onward and upward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Last edited by vernvernvern; Sep 1st, 2006 at 2:31 pm. Reason: html didn't work

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:44 pm

I would second the Clay bar, works great. I still don't understand how the clay bar works so well but it does. The new Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax also works great. I am sold on all of the Meguiar products.
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Jim

...the paint Clay bar?? I haven't heard of that. Where do you get it from?

Thanks for the input guys.

Ralph

post #6 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 4:46 pm

Clay bar

a little info
clay
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
BTW, if its OK, afterwards, I'm going to use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax to put a final coat on. The old girl won't know what hit her!
Ralph;
I use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax on my bike and have been very satisified with the results.

Mark
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 8:11 pm

Another user of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. Used it on my 2000 canyon red this spring and it looks like it just came out the showroom.
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Jim

I did the wash this morning and tried a test area with both the Clay and the ScratchX, Clay first. Clay didn't make any impact on the marks I have. It appears to be a good product for cars/bikes that are cleaned regularly and need a good clean before a rewax (once or twice a year). In the right light, before and after Clay, the bug marks are still there. I then used ScratchX again in the same area and they were gone.

One thing though, after both Clay and ScratchX, a whole lot of tiny dots appeared on the bike. I assume this is the white Clay/ScratchX filling in tiny pits on the surface of the gloss and not coming off with the cloth. Any suggestions on how to vamoose the dots?

Ralph

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:06 am Thread Starter

....I believe the dots are caused by sand etc putting tiny dings/chips into the paint.

Ralph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in