Annoying Alarm - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Annoying Alarm

I have a 2000 LT which I purchased this year and I love this bike. This forum has been a great help to me in learning about its various quirks and doing the maintenance items like valve adjustments, shifter linkage lube and rear shock adjuster top up, but there is one item that is annoying me and I have not seen any mention of here. That is the alarm system, this alarm has a 'probe' that I have to touch onto a red lit diode until the light goes out and only then will it start ( it automatically arms itself about 20 seconds after shut down and flashes the signal lights ) This works well most of the time though a bit inconvenient, but if it is wet or damp the 'probe' does not want to connect to the diode and put the light out and hence no start. It was just such a day on a recent trip to Alaska after pulling off the road for a break and my wife spotted a young Grizzly bear on the other side of the road and up an embankment which was fine until until he crossed to our side of the road and was joined by another one that was below us and unseen, it was about this time that we thought it a good idea to get out of there and of course the dammed alarm thing wouldn't work and panic mode set in. Fortunate for us the bears came into the parking area a little further up and did not see us but went after some other riders that we were travelling with until a van intervened and shooed them off. So I would like to disable or disconnect this device if possible, It looks like a factory or dealer installed item and has BMW symbols on it but my local dealer does not know what it is and cannot get me a manual for it. I am hoping someone out there has a similar system and knows how to program it or disable it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:21 am
IBR# 366

Garage
You have described the factory alarm for '99-'01 LTs. My '99 alarm had the contact pad replaced because it was also flaky when wet. The newer alarms have done away with that and just use a remote fob now (which is also available for your earlier alarm).

The alarm can be programmed to auto-arm as you described, or to only arm when you set it directly. There is a procedure in this forum to reprogram the alarm to not set by itself. Search for alarm program and you should find it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:56 am Thread Starter

no program information

Thanks for your reply but I cannot find the programing for the older alarm system , I do not have a fob with A&B buttons but I do have the brown and white wire. You mention that a fob is available for my system, how do I integrate it in to mine. thanks Dave.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 2:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I never had to program my '99 alarm, but I understand there is a wire that you can ground to access the alarm program mode. To add a remote fob, you have to have the new fob and the existing alarm cylinder.

Sorry I don't have more info, but as I said I never needed to do this procedure myself.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet
Thanks for your reply but I cannot find the programing for the older alarm system , I do not have a fob with A&B buttons but I do have the brown and white wire. You mention that a fob is available for my system, how do I integrate it in to mine. thanks Dave.
Here is the programming instruction.
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...T&Number=26635

Along with being able to program the unit to set only when you want it to, you can program up to four remote devices to the unit, any combination of keyfob actuators and remotes. I had two of each programmed into my bike.

Not sure if the above instruction shows how to add remotes, I cannot read that here at work since our WebSense blocks the old site to me.

I have the alarm installation manual at home, but would have to look for it. If you do not get it solved I could scan the pertinent page and email it to you.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 2:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I forgot to mention that I have a spare alarm fob from my '99 LT. It's at home and I'm currently working out of state, but I could look for it when I get home at the end of this month.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in