Fairing Nose Removal Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Fairing Nose Removal Question

For some reason I'm having a hard time working my way through the tech/FAQ section here. I really don't know what my problem is but in time I'll get it. Tonight a friend is coming over to help me with a HID install, including a new fused harness and relay. I've had the side panels off twice, but never the nose cone. I remember seeing a "step by step" procedure for this but now I can't find it. Anyone have a copy of this or can direct me on how to find it here on this site? Thanks very much. Don Wehr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
For some reason I'm having a hard time working my way through the tech/FAQ section here. I really don't know what my problem is but in time I'll get it. Tonight a friend is coming over to help me with a HID install, including a new fused harness and relay. I've had the side panels off twice, but never the nose cone. I remember seeing a "step by step" procedure for this but now I can't find it. Anyone have a copy of this or can direct me on how to find it here on this site? Thanks very much. Don Wehr.
Here's a start, Don. Good luck. I didn't read the whole thang, so apologies if sumpthin' is missing. Butt, with Neblett as the author, I doubt anythang is missing!!

Click here
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 6:19 pm Thread Starter

Here's a start, Don. Good luck. I didn't read the whole thang, so apologies if sumpthin' is missing. Butt, with Neblett as the author, I doubt anythang is missing!!

Thanks for the quick reply Dick. That's exactly what I remember finding on the site some time ago. Thanks again, I"m ready to get started now. d.

post #4 of 18 Old May 31st, 2010, 9:55 am

Re: Fairing Nose Removal Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Click here
Hi Dick.

I find that the link you provided about 3.5 years ago no longer works. :-) Does anyone have a link that shows how to remove the nose piece on a 2001 K1200LT?

Thanks. Dave
post #5 of 18 Old May 31st, 2010, 10:48 am

Just don't forget the screw BEHIND the dash courtesy lamp...

DAMHIK

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old May 31st, 2010, 1:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Depends on what year bike you have. Most installs pre '05 required drilling through the backing plate. A quick search found this: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217

My 05 was just plug and play.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #7 of 18 Old May 31st, 2010, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_D
Hi Dick.

I find that the link you provided about 3.5 years ago no longer works. :-) Does anyone have a link that shows how to remove the nose piece on a 2001 K1200LT?

Thanks. Dave
Hi, Dave - I guess the HoW is kaput for the moment. I tried several URLs in that section of the HoW, and got the *can't find* notice. Maybe the data base is down for now, dunno. Keep trying and maybe it'll be back online sometime.
post #8 of 18 Old May 31st, 2010, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Hi Dick.

Thanks. Dave
Hi, Dave - I guess the HoW is kaput for the moment. I tried several URLs in that section of the HoW, and got the *can't find* notice. Maybe the data base is down for now, dunno. Keep trying and maybe it'll be back online sometime.

Google has a link to it also that doesn't work. Butt for some other body part removal pics and notes, click here. I'll find another avenue to bring up the nose cone removal - stay tuned.

BTW - are you wanting to just remove the nose cone part that holds the headlight, or the dash cover under the windshield?
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick

Google has a link to it also that doesn't work. Butt for some other body part removal pics and notes, click here. I'll find another avenue to bring up the nose cone removal - stay tuned.

BTW - are you wanting to just remove the nose cone part that holds the headlight, or the dash cover under the windshield?
I actually have a leaking brakeline hose under the handlebars somewhere and want to get at it. I'm not sure if the rubber hose is leaking, or if it is the hose connector.

Thanks for the other link. I'll check it out.

Dave
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:58 pm

Quote:
I actually have a leaking brakeline hose under the handlebars somewhere and want to get at it. I'm not sure if the rubber hose is leaking, or if it is the hose connector.

Dave
Hey, Dave - database fixed. That link works now. Click here to get right to it.
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Dave
Are you sure it's brake fluid and not a fork seal leak? If you loos just a little brake fluid your ABS warning light should come on. I have a similar leak and am sure it's from the front fork seals.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Are you sure it's brake fluid and not a fork seal leak? If you loos just a little brake fluid your ABS warning light should come on. I have a similar leak and am sure it's from the front fork seals.
I had a similar leak I thought was the line at the caliper and it was the upper line at the junction. But the nose didn't have to be removed, *just* the tupperware around the fuel tank and the handlebar cover.

Motor On ,/'

post #13 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 11:49 am

Looking for tips on removing the top dash cover. I have the windshield off and have removed 4 visible screws around the edges under the windshield and it comes off about an inch, then is held back by something I can't figure it out. I don't want to force anything. What is holding it back and how do I release it?

The windshield brackets popped out of the plastic holders and I need to get at the holders and slide the shafts back through the plastic attachments.

Just the upper attachments on both side popped out, looks slightly damaged, but if I can get at the attachments it looks like i can reinsert the shafts and spring into the brackets, then install the 'C' clips.

I just bought the bike and it came like this. This was one of the detractors that got me a great deal.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help and advice you may have?
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Thumbs up Re: Fairing Nose Removal Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang130
Looking for tips on removing the top dash cover. I have the windshield off and have removed 4 visible screws around the edges under the windshield and it comes off about an inch, then is held back by something I can't figure it out. I don't want to force anything. What is holding it back and how do I release it?

The windshield brackets popped out of the plastic holders and I need to get at the holders and slide the shafts back through the plastic attachments.

Just the upper attachments on both side popped out, looks slightly damaged, but if I can get at the attachments it looks like i can reinsert the shafts and spring into the brackets, then install the 'C' clips.

I just bought the bike and it came like this. This was one of the detractors that got me a great deal.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help and advice you may have?
There is a fastener behind the dash light. Pry the light out from the end on the left.

If you're going to do work yourself on the LT I'd suggest getting a Clymer Shop Manual. It does a real good job of walking you through most repairs. It'll save you a lot of $$$$$'s.
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Thanks for the great tip Vern!

I'll let you know if that works, and I will grab the manual.

Sure appreciate the response and the time.

John
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Hey John,
You're very welcome. I just hope it helped.

You'll find this forum the best on the net. Lots of good helpfull guys/gals here.

I found this site shortly after I bought my LT 4 years ago and really glad I did.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Yes, the tip proved totally right on!

Slid the shafts back ino the slots and reclipped, windshield works like a champ!

Thanks again for the advice!

John
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang130
Yes, the tip proved totally right on!

Slid the shafts back ino the slots and reclipped, windshield works like a champ!

Thanks again for the advice!

John

Great John,

Now the hard part comes..............................just TRY and keep the grin off of your face as you roll up the miles on your LT. LOL

Vern

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in