PIAA 1100x Electrical Install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Question PIAA 1100x Electrical Install

All,

Just purchased PIAA 1100x lights (not here yet) to be installed under the cowl and I gotta say this electrically-challenged person is dreading the whole wiring proposition.

I plan to buy the autoswitch that functions with the signal cancel switch, so...having said all that, can anyone offer advice before I install?

1. Do I have to remove tupperware? If so, what?
2. Wiring routing advice?
3. Should I install just to be on all the time for visibility? and how to do?
4. Any install pictures would be helpful.

Remember, I am an electrical novice, so be gentle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:53 pm

Well, time has eroded my memory of this and it was getting well into the night by the time we got to this project, so no pics, but here's what I remember.

Both upper side panels. The kit bolts to the side panels.
For the auto switch, you'll have to take off the cover on the right handlebar. I cut the power wire (color included in the instructions), and didn't have the right jumper figured out so ended up really ham fisting that connection. Need to go back and fix that one day. Have your jumper cable built first so you just have to cut and strip both ends and crimp connectors on.

If you go high over the tank (which is the easiest approach), you'll have to undo it everytime you take the tank off for the 12K service. If you go low, you have to worry about heat off the engine head. We went low but I wish I would have had extra insulating tape around the wire for that section. Also, on the autoswitch wire that runs up the handle bar, make sure you've got play in the wire lock to lock before you zip tie it to the frame.
That's the beauty of the auto switch, they aren't on all the time. Apparently the life is shortened dramatically if they are one when you start the bike. I don't use mine all the time, mostly during the day for added visibility. At night they don't add much to the HID.
Can't help there.

Don't let the electrical stuff worry you, there isn't much to it. Pretty much plug and play. Lay it out first on the garage floor and you'll see how it all goes together, then it's just getting it on the bike.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 4:01 pm

1&2: Depending on the routing of the wires, you may/may not need to remove 'all' the tupperware. Personally, I liked the way Mark Neblett showed me the wiring route from the front to the battery area under the fuel tank beside the airbox. Be aware that this will require some major work. For now, you can get away with routing the wires along the body on either side. This would mean that you need to take off all the tupperware on one side only.

3&4: I would advise you to have control of when the aux. lights are ON/OFF. Since you mentioned about the autoswitch, you are adding the control. Here's how I have a set of aux. lights installed on my LT

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in