tell me it's no big deal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

tell me it's no big deal

I was just in the process of TRYING to remove ( gave up after it was almost all apart) the left hand button cluster to try and shim the cruise control toggle and as I removed the hand grip from the bar by sliding it all the way off I realised I had torn away the wire that is inside the handle bar and seems to be attached to the bottom of the hard case that the grip slides over so that it can then be slid over the handle bar tube.
Re-assembled everything and have just left the wire unattached inside the handle bar.
1) what is this wire?
2) any problems with leaving it that way?

I think that after pushing and prying all of these plastic parts and getting the distinct feeling at times that I am going to crack/break/mangle some of these bits , it may be time to leave the heavy lifting to more experienced hands.

Even though there is a sense of getting to know the bike I'm not sure she will continue to want to get to know me.

ANy help, as always, is much appreciated.

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:18 pm

The good news is that the bike will still run great-----the bad news is that your right hand will now get cold.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
The good news is that the bike will still run great-----the bad news is that your right hand will now get cold.
Ok,I might be able to live with that. But is the right hand grip heated from the wire in the left bar?
And, I suppose, it should be TOO hard for a pro to fix, right?

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:53 pm

You should probably try to fix it, or at least not turn on the heated grips for now. I don't know if that bare wire would short out on anything but why take the risk. As best I can tell the left and right are independant.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

I'm going to have to get a new left hand control cluster. That'll be the best time to do it and I'll just let the dealer work thier magic.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in