Sidestand Modifications Anyone??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Sidestand Modifications Anyone???

As I continue to read that LT's quite frequently fall over when using the sidestand, I wonder if anyone has modified their sidestand to prevent this from happening?

The problem seems to stem from the sidestand being at almost 90 degree angle to the frame rather than being angled forward enough to really make it "lock" into place better, preventing (or at least lessening) the possibility of it folding back up under the weight of the bike.

Looking at mine (an '01) it would seem that you could grind a bit away from each contact surface on the stand stop and increase the angle, accomplishing a more "locked" and less dangerous angle. Has anyone tried this and how did it work?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Is this really an issue with the LT ?
My 03 LT mysteriously fell over just a few days ago. I 'thought' I'd put it on the sidestand but as I walked away I heard it hit the ground.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Several folks did this exact mod, especially on the earlier bikes. Some time around '02, BMW changed the side stand to make it less likely, but the bike can still fall. Most of us always park in gear or use the center stand to avoid this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 5:51 am

That's what bugs me the most, 99.9 % of the time I'll use the centre stand to avoid the oil burn that I've read about, but on this occasion I left it on the siide stand. Typical !

2002 K1200LT SE
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
As I continue to read that LT's quite frequently fall over when using the sidestand, I wonder if anyone has modified their sidestand to prevent this from happening?

The problem seems to stem from the sidestand being at almost 90 degree angle to the frame rather than being angled forward enough to really make it "lock" into place better, preventing (or at least lessening) the possibility of it folding back up under the weight of the bike.

Looking at mine (an '01) it would seem that you could grind a bit away from each contact surface on the stand stop and increase the angle, accomplishing a more "locked" and less dangerous angle. Has anyone tried this and how did it work?
This comes up every couple years. You can grind off a bit of the side stand stop, but there is a balancing to be done -- the farther forward the sidestand is allowed to go, the farther the bike leans over, which makes it harder to lift the bike up off the stand.

FWIW, regardless of how far forward the sidestand goes, the key to avoiding tip-overs is to park in gear, and before resting the bike on the stand, rolling it forward with the clutch out to take all the slack out of the drivetrain.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:57 am

Murphy's #127.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
That's what bugs me the most, 99.9 % of the time I'll use the centre stand to avoid the oil burn that I've read about, but on this occasion I left it on the siide stand. Typical !
Sorry to hear about this - does it not just P*** you off when stuff like this happens? I feel your pain!!! If you use your side stand, keep the engine running with the clutch in and first gear selected. Extend side stand which will kill the motor. Park and turn off ignition.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:51 am

Me too.
Mine (a 99 LT) fell and I replaced the sidestand with one from a salvaged '03
Have not had an issue since and the bike has just the right amount of lean.
The newer stand actually lowered the 'parked' height of the left mirror by 1.25".
I also use the center stand 99.9% of the time, but in case I don't . . . .

Kenn
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:01 am

I'm a new rider and still don't feel comfortable getting the monster off the center stand without someone to assist. I'm afraid it will tip over. Guess I'll keep using the side stand for a while.

Jamie Kiel
2002 K1200LT Silver
2005 Harley Davidson Springer Classic
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:26 pm

I have never taken my LT off the center stand while standing next to it. I get on and either rock forward or ride it off in first gear.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:24 pm

Thatís exactly what I did cccpastorjack, plus I cut the original pad off the kick stand and welded a short extension in with a larger pad for soft soil or asphalt. The length of the extension will be determined by first measuring from the left handle bar end to the ground BEFORE any modifications. Then cut the extension length to maintain the original left handle bar height. I have an 05 and that mod has been working great.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
I have never taken my LT off the center stand while standing next to it. I get on and either rock forward or ride it off in first gear.
That's my preferred method too, I also have the engine running so that I know my brakes are working. I just don't feel confident stood at the side and lifting it off.

When my 03 tipped over the other day I was in full view of the hotel window . . nice ! It took 4 men to pick it up.

10 mins before this pic was taken the bike was laid down.

2002 K1200LT SE

Last edited by Seagull; Aug 31st, 2006 at 2:06 pm.
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:27 am
jrh

Falling bike

It seems funny that I have a problem that has not been mentioned. The bike stands so "straight up" that I don't feel comfortable parking on the right side of a highway. I have an ultra classic that leans to the left far enough to have no problem.
jrh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in