Is it safe? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Is it safe?

Is it safe to continue riing the LT with ABS lights flashing (alternate, slow)?
My ST1100 ABS packed up years ago and I kept riding, no problems at all, but the ST1100 has a non abs model, the LT does not.
Any ideas? I just dont have the type of money to fix this one on top of all the other bills this (wonderful) bike has cost me this year!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Cookie,

Is the ABS flash an alternating [ABS] <-> [General Warning]? Goes back and forth about once a second?

That means you're low on fluid - check both halves of the rear resevoir. (least on the '02s it does - on the '99s too??)

Yes - you can still ride it, you'll still have brakes - but obviously no ABS.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:34 pm

That might be just low break fluid level. You didn't mention if you checked that. I just had to do mine. It was one of the ones under the rear seat, the one that was more towards the front. It looked like it had plenty but the computer didn't think so. I added three straw fulls of dot 4 and it stopped the flashing. Your power breaks work, you just don't have ABS.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 7:28 pm

This may also be caused by the pads wearing thin, causing the fluid level to drop in the reservoirs. So I would first check the fluid levels, then the pads all around, and then if needed add some fluid.
Adding fluid and changing the pads afterward may cause the reservoirs to overflow if you are not careful... not a good thing on your paint.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Is it safe to continue riing the LT with ABS lights flashing (alternate, slow)?
My ST1100 ABS packed up years ago and I kept riding, no problems at all, but the ST1100 has a non abs model, the LT does not.
Any ideas? I just dont have the type of money to fix this one on top of all the other bills this (wonderful) bike has cost me this year!
All the above are applicable to an Integral barke bike, but not to a '99 ABS II bike -- no reservoir level sensing.

In answer to the original question, there is no issue with braking a pre-Integral ABS system, other than, obviously, no ABS intervention. On the Integral bikes, loss of ABS usually means loss of power assist, something that does result in more difficult (more hand pressure required) braking, but that's n/a for the ABS II brake system.

As to your current blinking lights, have you checked the usual things? ABS wheel sensors removed/cleaned/gap checked? Verified that the rear ABS sensor wires have not been chaffed by the brake hsose fitting zip-tie up by the front of the swingarm? Less us know what you have/did find, and we can take more guesses

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Aug 30th, 2006 at 9:27 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
All the above are applicable to an Integral barke bike, but not to a '99 ABS II bike -- no reservoir level sensing.
ahhh, thanks for that Mark. I didn't know that about the 99.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks people, lots to check now.
As stated in another post, the problem started with a buzzing noise that has now stopped of its own accord.
The bike was left out for a week while camping, rust spots on disks and probably abs sensor wheels, so I will clean them up.
Not too bothered now about the problem if it is a hard fix - I am not paying a fortune for a new abs unit, thats for sure!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 8:19 am

My 99 has this problem: anytime I exceed 85-90 mph the ABS lights start flashing. This started on my way from NC to SD. After they start I have ridden as much as 175 miles with them flashing. When I stop and turn the bike off they do not flash again unless I do the 85-90 mph thing. I did have a rear tire changed the day before this started so I think this must have something to do with the problem. I have been too busy after returning to even look at anything (I have found time for a 300 mile trip with no problems other than the flashing). I think I will order the Clymer book and then look at the sensor thingy. I will post what I find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in