I just joined the rear end crowd! UGH! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Red face I just joined the rear end crowd! UGH!

19,000 miles............rear end failure. I just hauled it home so I'm not in to it yet. From the sound of it I believe the inside bearing went first. Rear wheel had no play side to side. (IE grab wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and no movement) Then it made a grumpling noise(sound like a wheel or tire rythem). Stopped and checked tires at a cycle shop and found nothing wrong. So thought I could limp home.............noooope..........it got worse so stopped after a few miles. Just as I stopped the oil seal gave up.

My plan tomorrow is to remove the rear end and take it to the dealer for repair.
Wish me luck..................

QUESTION?? Should I expect this to happen within the next 19,000 miles?

Any other suggestions appreciated from you gurus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 5:54 pm

so much for the theory that '03s and newer are immune .... (sigh)
post #3 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

My thought as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
Yep, that's what I thought too.

Guess the clutch slave will be next. Ugh!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====

post #4 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern

Shoot. Darn it anyway!!!

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Quote:

Vern - sorry 'bout the 'event' happening to ya ... dang. Lissen, what wuz the build date of your scoot? It's under the rider's seat, right side near the battery.

Also, after you git it all well and back on the road, please do that leetle bit of bookeeping and fill out the survey that El Jeffe has set up for final drive failures. And of course, doing the paperwork for the NHTSB, under the suggested category, is encouraged too.

You gonna try to get your dealer to work with BMW NA and good-will a warranty fix? You should, if you have a good relationship with your dealer and they'll go to bat for ya. Kindly let us know what happens, Vern.
post #6 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 7:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, those are the exact symptoms. Bummer.

Before pulling the drive, call your dealer and ask about, no insist on a warranty repair. I don't know when the original sell date was, but 19K is well within warranty.

If the drive is rebuilt properly and shimmed correctly, then it should last just fine. If it is rebuilt poorly, then it may fail again relatively soon. We've seen both happen here. I'd push for a full replacement drive and see where that gets you. Top of the line bike, known failure mode, you may have to sell it and buy a 'Wing or HD, etc. If you have a good dealer, they'll go to bat for you with BMW NA.

My '99 had the drive rebuilt and seemed fine for another 10K miles until I got rid of the bike. My '02 had an entire new rear drive unit fitted and has been fine for the next 70K miles (so far).

I'd also be interested in the build date. Hm, can we count this as a CCR failure?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your failure Vern; I hope this will be covered under warranty since your bike is an '03 with little mileage.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
Depends -- what is the build date of the bike? Current belief is that it was sometime in the '03 model year that the new bearing started to appear. If this was an early production '03, it could still be an old bearing.

If replaced with a new bearing, and the housing (if reused) is squeaky-clean, there's no "life expectancy" -- it should last like any of the newer bikes.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:31 pm

My 2000 drive failed at 25400 miles in 2004. They replaced the entire drive out of warrantee since it was not over the 36K point. It was over the 36 months however. I had all service records and I printed the el jeffe survey (about 200 pages) and took it in to the service manager.

Be nice about it, but be firm and make it clear that you are informed and will not settle for any out of pocket costs at all. I would even insist on a new factory drive, not a rebuild.

Its becoming pretty clear that this unit is simply under-engineered with very little to zero headroom. A bearing modification here and there, add 2 balls, take 2 balls, is silly. The thing needs to be redesigned straightaway for the giant mass that the LT is. Add to the fact that many LT's are ridden 2-up by larger folk adds insult to injury since its likely there could be 1400 pounds of bike, gear, and humanity rolling down the road.

That's a tall order for any drive to fulfill.
post #10 of 42 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

mfg date

0703 is the mfg date.

Guess I'm in the dark about the el jeffe survey. Do I get that from the dealer or is it on this board?

Sounds like I need to go see my dealer before I do anything to the bike.

Thanks.....you guys are a big help.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #11 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:05 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The Rear Drive Survey can be found here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:14 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
It's becoming pretty clear that this unit is simply under-engineered with very little to zero headroom. A bearing modification here and there, add 2 balls, take 2 balls, is silly. The thing needs to be redesigned straightaway for the giant mass that the LT is.
Eric, many of us have been there already, and have moved on. Just keep riding and if it fails, then get it fixed. In fact BMW has redesigned the final drive, and even made it sealed and maintenance free. You just have to buy one of their newly redesigned bikes to get it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #13 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:36 am

A drivetrain failure of this frequency and severity in any automotive application would have amounted to a formal recall long, long ago. Dealers would be sending out notices to bring the thing back for a full factory replacement, not having to buy a new bike to fix it. Also, riding it till it fails isnt the way I prefer to approach things. But that's just me.
post #14 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
A drivetrain failure of this frequency and severity in any automotive application would have amounted to a formal recall long, long ago. Dealers would be sending out notices to bring the thing back for a full factory replacement, not having to buy a new bike to fix it. Also, riding it till it fails isnt the way I prefer to approach things. But that's just me.
i agree with you 100 percent. some members have taken BMW to task, saying pretty much ed zachary what you are saying, face to face, with factory reps. no love. it seems BMW doesn't care much about its customers. it's the reason i have little-to-no brand loyalty.

don't get me wrong ... i love my bike. never had a bit of problem with it at 36k (it is also an '03). but if something better comes along i won't hesitate to jump ship. i go on rides to some pretty out-of-the-way places, and i'd really rather not get stuck there with my wife when there are reliable two-wheeled alternatives, like the wing.
post #15 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:46 am Thread Starter

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The Rear Drive Survey can be found here.
Thanks, I've filled it out and am preparing to send the 2 emails.
One to [email protected]
and [email protected]

This afternoon I plan to go to the Dealer that sold the bike new(not to me) and armed with a copy of my reports and the great info from this board to see if the fix can be done via warranty.

Does that sound appropriate???

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #16 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:14 pm

Definitely appropriate. If your bike is not a candidate for full warrantee replacement, I don't know what would be. Your out of pocket expense should be a big, fat ZERO.
post #17 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Thanks, I've filled it out and am preparing to send the 2 emails.
One to [email protected]
and [email protected]
Send another e-mail to this guy here, chances are he'll forward it to BMW NA

Paul Johnson
Consumer Affairs Liaison, BMWMOA
214 956 8986
[email protected]

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #18 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:37 pm

Rear End

I was not aware of rear end failures on the LT. Mine started leaking while on 5200 mile vacation. Came back and dealer fixed it under warranty. About 14000 miles.
post #19 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Zippy, you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Sorry to hear about your failure Vern; I hope this will be covered under warranty since your bike is an '03 with little mileage.
It's 3:30 PM thursday and I just got back from the 200 mile round trip to the Kansas City dealer(Engle Motor's, Inc). Unbeknown to me, the warranty on my '03 LT has a few more months. YeeHaa, so I'm covered. Of course they can't do it until 9/14. Hope they don't have to order any parts as then it will be much longer.

I bought the bike used from a HD dealer and they told me the warranty had ended and just took them for their word. Big Hugh mistake.

However, I'm still glad I filled out the survey as I still think this is an issue that BMW should correct for ALL of us. It just isn't safe.

Thank you all for your comments and help.
Relieved in MO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vern

I sure didn't sleep very well last night!

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #20 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:46 pm

Ya know what they say, Vern? Good thangs happen to good people. You must be one of 'em!!

Another good thang - I think Engle has performed a few of those repairs, so their experience is to your benefit, too.

See ya back on the road in a coupla weeks - hunnert years from now, you'll forget the whole thang!!

Quote:
It's 3:30 PM thursday and I just got back from the 200 mile round trip to the Kansas City dealer(Engle Motor's, Inc). Unbeknown to me, the warranty on my '03 LT has a few more months. YeeHaa, so I'm covered. Of course they can't do it until 9/14. Hope they don't have to order any parts as then it will be much longer.

I bought the bike used from a HD dealer and they told me the warranty had ended and just took them for their word. Big Hugh mistake.

However, I'm still glad I filled out the survey as I still think this is an issue that BMW should correct for ALL of us. It just isn't safe.

post #21 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad it worked out for you, Vern. A good dealer is priceless.

And Dick is right. A couple of hundred miles from now it'll all be forgotten.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #22 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 3:58 pm

Escalate!

"A drivetrain failure of this frequency and severity in any automotive application would have amounted to a formal recall long, long ago."

Has EVERYONE that has been affected by this, reported the "defect" to NHTSA? One additional way to make your voices heard, if this medium applies to bikes as well.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Sqeeky wheel gets the oil, or something like that.
The guys on the RT forum should do the same!

Last edited by Uzirider; Aug 31st, 2006 at 7:24 pm.
post #23 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzirider
"A drivetrain failure of this frequency and severity in any automotive application would have amounted to a formal recall long, long ago."

Has EVERYONE that has been affected by this, reported the "defect" to NHTSA? One additional way to make your voices heard, if this medium applies to bikes as well.

The form is very easy to fill out and only took a few minutes. I did have to go out to the bike once for pertinent info. Maybe as a group we can get a head turned.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #24 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 8:00 pm

Thumbs up

Well Triple V, I am glad your warranty was still in effect and covered the repair.
Sorry about the couple weeks without your mount, but it sure beats having to wait that much time AND having to pay out of pocket!
My '03 is under warranty until December, although I have over 35 k miles on it with a few months to go.
Are you contemplating getting an extended warranty? I was quoted a little over $1.300 for 3 additional years by BMW of Ventura. Not sure yet what I'll do in December... Buy or just stand-by... ?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #25 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:01 pm Thread Starter

I'm not sure either.

Quote:
Well Triple V, I am glad your warranty was still in effect and covered the repair.
Sorry about the couple weeks without your mount, but it sure beats having to wait that much time AND having to pay out of pocket!
My '03 is under warranty until December, although I have over 35 k miles on it with a few months to go.
Are you contemplating getting an extended warranty? I was quoted a little over $1.300 for 3 additional years by BMW of Ventura. Not sure yet what I'll do in December... Buy or just stand-by... ?
Zippy,
To be up front, I wasn't expecting to deal with anything major on such a nice machine. But, I was fooled in that department. It would only take one major breakdown to make the extended warranty pay.

My experience over the years on other vehicles never paid to have the extended warranty. However I guess one could rest easier if one had the coverage. These bikes are machines and do require expensive repairs.

I've got a couple months to think about it.

Thanks for the mention.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #26 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:52 pm

Quote:
My experience over the years on other vehicles never paid to have the extended warranty. However I guess one could rest easier if one had the coverage. These bikes are machines and do require expensive repairs.

I've got a couple months to think about it.

Thanks for the mention.
Yup, we are on the same boat.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #27 of 42 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzirider

Sqeeky wheel gets the oil, or something like that.
The guys on the RT forum should do the same!
NHTSA is well aware of the issue -- including some of us having direct conversations with a guy who reviews reports from citizens and identifies issues to be pursued with manufacturers (a guy who also happens to own/ride a BMW, and is as interested in the issue as we are).

As I understand it, the long and the short of it is that because he has never received a report of an actual injury attributable to a final drive failure, and there does not appear to be a failure mechanism which could potentially result in an immediate hazard situation (i.e., these always fail with enough warning to get safely to the side of the road), it's not a recall issue -- there's no "problem" meeting the safety criteria that define the thresholds at which an issue is formally run up the chain for action.

Yes, that sucks, but unless someone comes up with a credible immediate danger scenario, the simple truth is NHTSA's not going to do anything on it.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #28 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Back in the saddle again........YeeHaa!

Quote:

Yep all the work was done under warranty for the final drive fix and they did it a week sooner than they first told me.

For those interested, the parts cost was a little over $500. Sure glad the warranty was in effect.

Picked it up today and had a fine 1 1/2 hour ride home.

Engle's doesn't offer an extended warranty so will call Pinnacle to see about getting something. Engles says I need to make sure that they (Engles) accept the warranty that I purchase and what specific as to what it covers.

BY THE WAY, Engles drilled the seep hole at the clutch slave while they had it in for the final drive repair. I thought that was nice of them to do that for me.

So now, it's back to HAPPY riding...........................

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #29 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 3:59 pm

I bought my 03 used this past June and it has 18K on it now. I looked under the seat and it says 07/02..should I be worried about the wheel bearing? What is the date that BMW may have changed it? My warranty is good until December, Maybe I should ask the dealer?
post #30 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb I just learned.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
I bought my 03 used this past June and it has 18K on it now. I looked under the seat and it says 07/02..should I be worried about the wheel bearing? What is the date that BMW may have changed it? My warranty is good until December, Maybe I should ask the dealer?

Hi, I just learned that when you change the final drive oil and it is DIRTY, then you better have the bearing checked.

They suggested I change the final drive oil each time I changed the engine oil.

My final drive oil was changed at 12000 miles and it WAS DIRTY, but I sure didn't know it was a sign of bearing failure coming. They told me the oil should be clean looking when it's changed. Ugh! Live and learn.

As for your bike, I'd sure ask your dealer about it. I understand that the percentage of bikes with my problem is less than 4%. Guess I got the lemon.

Good luck.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #31 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 4:53 pm

My understanding is that the cleanliness of the final drive oil is not a good indicator of impending failure.

I seem to recall several cases where the oil had recently been changed and looked almost new only to have a final drive failure soon after.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #32 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb It's just what I was told today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
My understanding is that the cleanliness of the final drive oil is not a good indicator of impending failure.

I seem to recall several cases where the oil had recently been changed and looked almost new only to have a final drive failure soon after.
That may be true. All I can say is what the dealer told me today. Guess it is just an opinion. However when I change the oil in 4-5000 miles from today and it's dirty, I'll be down to see my dealer for a diagnosis of the oil. Other wise, we just ride til the final drive gives up. (or not)

I still think 19000 miles is way to soon for a final drive failure to occur in the first place. No matter how it has been ridden.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #33 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Quote:
I was looking at extended warranties and came across one from Quality Warranties and they quoted about $650 for 2 years, but it run concurrent to the existing BMW one, I was going to wait until just before mine runs out in December
post #34 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Quote:
0703 is the mfg date.

Sorry for your loss..
Well I just checked my build date--you guessed it 07/03. I have 16.6k on mine guess I'm fine for another 2.5 K, you recon?? What kind of lube were you using in yours?

Tom

PS: I now see you were covered under w arranty. That's great. Still wonder if oil type vs failures shows any correlation, etc.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.

Last edited by bmwrubbercow; Sep 8th, 2006 at 6:24 pm.
post #35 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 6:26 pm
Bouncer

Be sure to add your failure to the rear drive survey

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/survey.php?do=take&sid=28

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #36 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb I used BMW 80/90 lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
Sorry for your loss..
Well I just checked my build date--you guessed it 07/03. I have 16.6k on mine guess I'm fine for another 2.5 K, you recon?? What kind of lube were you using in yours?

Tom

PS: I now see you were covered under w arranty. That's great. Still wonder if oil type vs failures shows any correlation, etc.
I used BMW 80/90 lube. The dealer sold it to me for tranny and final drive. I'd like to know too if a heavier or synthetic would be better than BMW oils.

Beats me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #37 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Hmmm....feelin' better all the time about the beautiful Wing in my garage parked next to my '05 LT.
post #38 of 42 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Quote:
I used BMW 80/90 lube. The dealer sold it to me for tranny and final drive. I'd like to know too if a heavier or synthetic would be better than BMW oils.

Beats me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 1000 miles breakin on my warrantee replaced drive, I put this http://redlineoil.com/whitePaper/11....0shockproof%22 in there. 15K miles later and 2 changes, never more than a matchhead sized clump of grey paste on the magnet. And the thing is dead quiet and smooth. It coats, it soothes, it cools. Shockproof heavy is truly pepto-bismol for the gears.
post #39 of 42 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 7:03 am

Dealers make a lot of statements that aren't necessarily true. I've changed my oil, engine, transmission and rearend, every 6K since I got the bike 51,000 miles ago. It has all been dirty every time it has been changed. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #40 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 5:20 pm
Bit

Re: I just joined the rear end crowd! UGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
I was looking at extended warranties and came across one from Quality Warranties and they quoted about $650 for 2 years, but it run concurrent to the existing BMW one, I was going to wait until just before mine runs out in December
I'm looking into getting a warranty from Quality Warranties now. I recently bought an '06 (with only 3,125 miles on it) and the factory warranty expires this December because the bike was put "in-service" in December '05 and sold in September '07 to the original purchaser (who neglected to tell me the warranty would expire soon).

Anyway, did you or anyone else get a warranty from Quality Warranties and are you happy with it?

Thanks,
John
post #41 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 5:36 pm

To me warranty isn't the issue. It is trying to get everything and everyone back home when the FD shells out in the middle of nowhere. We need a rapid source of replacement FDs.
post #42 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
NHTSA is well aware of the issue -- including some of us having direct conversations with a guy who reviews reports from citizens and identifies issues to be pursued with manufacturers (a guy who also happens to own/ride a BMW, and is as interested in the issue as we are).

As I understand it, the long and the short of it is that because he has never received a report of an actual injury attributable to a final drive failure, and there does not appear to be a failure mechanism which could potentially result in an immediate hazard situation (i.e., these always fail with enough warning to get safely to the side of the road), it's not a recall issue -- there's no "problem" meeting the safety criteria that define the thresholds at which an issue is formally run up the chain for action.

Yes, that sucks, but unless someone comes up with a credible immediate danger scenario, the simple truth is NHTSA's not going to do anything on it.
Anyone care to volunteer to get horrendously maimed due to a final drive failure? We'd all be very grateful......

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in