Used Buyer's Guide??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Question Used Buyer's Guide???

Does anyone know of a good buyer's guide to "pre-owned" LT's? Something that includes a list of specs for each model year and trim level?

I'm in the market for a 1999-2003 K1200LT, and I'm trying compare pricing on all the bikes I'm seeing. But I don't know what comes standard on each trim level for a given year.

For example, I have a local dealer who's trying to ask $13k for an '03 LT-C. Then I notice the machine does not have a heated seat (which I thought was standard on the -C), nor does it have a CD changer (standard on the Icon?) and in place of the tape deck, there's a single CD slot. It does have the chrome package and a luggage rack. But how could this possibly be sold as an LT-C???

When I check KBB, it doesn't show the Standard or Icon levels for 2003 - only the LT-C and LT-E levels.

So what comes on all these trim levels and what years did they all exist?

PS: I also found out the "minor" cosmetic damage on the above machine was the result of the rider creating his own offramp from the Blue Ridge Parkway...and after insisting on seeing the repair report, I find line items for replacing both front brake disks, the upper triple clamp, various brackets and body panels, straightening the front wheel, and a little welding on the frame (replacing a snapped off steering stop). Is this dealer on crack? Is there an honest dealer near central PA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 7:36 am

I had a lot of the same questions as youy and frankly, I don;t know where you can find this information in one place. Sounds like the bike you saw was likely salvage title. Or if not, it was repaired and never listed as salvage. I wouldn't look at it anymore. There is an 03 in town here for $12K that I would recommend due to knowing hte owner. It has had the left side plastic replaced, 14K miles, CD, Cd changer, etc. Custom version. In all the LTs I looked at, I never saw one without the changer. I guess it could have come that way, but I haven't seen one. Makes me wonder if it's been removed.

I don;t think that dealer will ever get that kind of money for that bike. There are plenty out there for less with cleaner histories. Like someone on here told me, your bike will find you. Mine did. Took a while, but it found me.

Rando
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:00 am

Assuming you have the money on hand, buying a new bike is much easier than buying used. Match the dealer with the bike of your choice, and drive away happy. With a 3 year warranty to boot. Used of course is a different story, especially when the warranty has expired. I agree with rando in that I don't think you'll find all the information you need in one spot. Gather as much information from as many places as you can before you make a decision. That was a nice touch getting the history report from the dealer. That report alone would make me move on. Also to me, getting to know the current owner is very important. Usually a person of character and high standards treats himself well, his family well, his bike well and a buyer well, whether he knows you or not. A recommendation from another 'LTer would also carry serious weight with me. I'd move on and keep looking until I found a bike that really "spoke" to me, one that was obviously taken care of. They're out there, just keep looking, but be ready to act fast. When a good bike is put up for sale by a good owner, they sell quickly. Hope this helps somewhat. d.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:01 am

Not a good deal!!!!

For example, I have a local dealer who's trying to ask $13k for an '03 LT-C.

Stay away from that deal!

Just like Rando mentioned. The bike will find you. Mine was on a Harley lot and it called me over to it. And the price was unbelievable.

Lots of better buys out there than the one you mentioned.

As to what's on them new, I haven't found any place that lists the upgrades nor the standard features.

Keep searching and good luck. You're gonna love this LT machine.

Just my .02
A penny for my thought.............where'd the other penny go?¿??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:11 am

My 03 custom with 6289 miles was $9745 from a private individual. And he threw in two helmets with headsets and bag liners to boot. And the bike was very nice, very little wear - the tires still have the nipples on them.

So yes there are good deals out there. Ebay has quite a few bikes, but most of them have a high reserve.

I had been looking for a couple of months when Tarheel Rider ( have I thanked him today? LOL) emailed me about the one I eventually bought. If folks here know, seems like they are eager to help folks find a bike. There may be some other PA LTers on here that can aid your search. I had to drive 3 hrs to get mine, but at that price, it was worth it.

Good luck and keep looking.
Rando
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:00 am

Used Bike Search....

I sent you a PM with more detail, but i agree with others that "good" to "great" deals can be found on LT's if you take a little bit of time and do some research.
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:13 am
Premium Vendor

Nada will give you base pricing but does not list most BMW options.
www.nada.com
The trader magazine online will let you see relative value and also zip code or search by state option so you can search nationwide or areas close to your local economy. Good luck with your search.
www.cycletrader.com

Tony 05
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:59 am
Premium Vendor

Here is the Kelly Blue Book Additional Equipment guide for 2001-2006 1200LT
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles...Equipment.aspx

Tony 05
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnicks
PS: I also found out the "minor" cosmetic damage on the above machine was the result of the rider creating his own offramp from the Blue Ridge Parkway...and after insisting on seeing the repair report, I find line items for replacing both front brake disks, the upper triple clamp, various brackets and body panels, straightening the front wheel, and a little welding on the frame (replacing a snapped off steering stop). Is this dealer on crack? Is there an honest dealer near central PA?
You forgot to list the scumbag dealerships name.

I have found that the people at Heritage BMW are straight forward and no BS. Craig or Debra will take good care of you.

I have a little bit of history and track record with them. Have sat there and watched them call other shops to locate a part they did not have in stock for someone on a road trip, Then give them directions to the place.
Your not that far away, couple hours, in fact I bought a K100LT down the road from you in Chambersberg.
Rock
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:24 am
fas

Cool Buying used

Quote:
Does anyone know of a good buyer's guide to "pre-owned" LT's? ................PS: I also found out the "minor" cosmetic damage on the above machine was the result of the rider creating his own offramp from the Blue Ridge Parkway...and after insisting on seeing the repair report, I find line items for replacing both front brake disks, the upper triple clamp, various brackets and body panels, straightening the front wheel, and a little welding on the frame (replacing a snapped off steering stop). Is this dealer on crack? Is there an honest dealer near central PA?
Be very careful with used. My 2002 LTC was perfect. Sold mine for full price, $12,000, in two days on eBay. I bought the new GT. My LTC had the six pack CD, lots of chrome, and the tape player. I loved it and I sold it so fast I was shocked.

Try Cycle Trader. Try eBay. Good luck with your search. Insist on having the best dealer you know inspect it before purchase. You can also buy extended warranty to hedge your bet. It's worth paying a dealer $100 to avoid buying a beater that could hurt you on the road.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:27 am

Try Trans Am Cycles in Lititz, or Hermy's in Port Clinton. Both great dealers form my experience. I bought a used 2000 Canyon Red Icon with 8000 miles in March of this year from Trans Am. Great to do business with. They have a used 02 with 11,000 miles listed on their website for $12,500. If I can be of any help, let me know.
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 2:22 pm

dwillie has it right,,,

Go find the dealer and bike you want,, put some down payment on it to get the monthly payment where you want and be happy.... 3 year warranty and no worry about what your about to buy,,,Remember,, buyer beware when buying used...............Regards Pete
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Motorcycle Consumer News lists used prices in the July issue each year. I think they are pretty accurate for the bikes I am familiar with.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #14 of 16 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:34 am Thread Starter

PGRSV - I checked on that '02 at TransAm last week; it was sold
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:44 am Thread Starter

vernvernvern,

I'm on to another dealer now with an '03 LT-C with 15k mi for $12,500; has custom seats, CB, com system, GPS... haven't seen it yet, but so far it looks good. One goal I have is to quickly get rid of my '96 Triumph Sprint, which in the past has sat on consignment at a Triumph dealer for an entire riding season with no luck. Trading in at a dealer seems the best route. Another goal I have is to move rather quickly...the SO doesn't exactly favor the concept of spending money on two wheels, so I need to get this water under the bridge pronto. Consequently, I'm essentially down to finding the best deal currently at a dealership within 150 miles.

KBB shows $11.5k on an '03 LT-C. Is that about right? How much higher would the value be with only 15k mi on the odo?
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 5th, 2006, 9:58 am

Thumbs up That's close to right!

Quote:
vernvernvern,

I'm on to another dealer now with an '03 LT-C with 15k mi for $12,500; has custom seats, CB, com system, GPS... haven't seen it yet, but so far it looks good. One goal I have is to quickly get rid of my '96 Triumph Sprint, which in the past has sat on consignment at a Triumph dealer for an entire riding season with no luck. Trading in at a dealer seems the best route. Another goal I have is to move rather quickly...the SO doesn't exactly favor the concept of spending money on two wheels, so I need to get this water under the bridge pronto. Consequently, I'm essentially down to finding the best deal currently at a dealership within 150 miles.

KBB shows $11.5k on an '03 LT-C. Is that about right? How much higher would the value be with only 15k mi on the odo?
I wouldn't object to that price at a dealer. GPS is worth quite a bit. Miles won't make much difference on price at this point in time.

Good luck!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in